PDA

View Full Version : new to turning

Daddy3x
17th March 2008, 12:59 PM
After a somehwat earlier midlife crisis and after a 2 hour session with a woodturner, went out and bought some chisels, lathe on the way, wifey gave me the go-ahead :U I also bought the Wolverine system to sharpen as I appreciate consistency. In my chisel set, there is a 3/8 spindle gouge, and a 3/8 bowl gouge. There appears to be no discenible differences, other than the depth. If just using the basic v-grind arm, and rolling it lightly side to side, both can be sharpened well on the same jig. It is only when swept wing is desired should the vari-grind be used? Also, a spindle gouge I had used, had a much pointier fingernail, this would be reproduced on mine by bringing in the arm. This turning could turn into a serious addiction, as my 15 years of woodworking and "Aww Honey, I NEED this in my shop!" proves.

Thanks
Scott

orraloon
17th March 2008, 04:16 PM
Welcome to the site Scott and to turning. I sharpen freehand on a rest set to the bevel angle so I can not help a lot with you're setup. You should find that the bevel angle on the bowl gouge is steeper than on the spindle one. Over time a lot of turners play around with angles and profiles to suit themselves. Anyhow lots of know how on this site for just about anything you could ask.

Regards
John

wheelinround
17th March 2008, 05:00 PM
Welcome Scott

Your Mich-i-gan be if you choose to accept it :rolleyes:

Can be :?

Hide in the shed creating bags of sawdust & shavings :D

Or :?

leave the tools to rust :(( :oo:

Either way G'day

munruben
17th March 2008, 05:30 PM
Hi Scott. You came to the right place. Have fun:):2tsup:

killerbeast
17th March 2008, 05:56 PM
Velkome to the world of turning.

I have the Wol. and use it a lot... I use the varigrind for most my gouges. just not that agressive on some, and Very agressive on others.. my bedst advice would be to ger som cheap chisels and experiment on grinding different styles.

Rasmus

artme
17th March 2008, 06:20 PM
G'day Scott and welcome to the santuary of the addicted!:D:D

I wouldnn't try turning a bowl with a spindle gouge, that's why they make bowl gouges.:p:p

As for sharpening that is the bane of my existence! One good tip is to get some mild steel rod and practice sharpening with that. Cheaper than buggering up good tools!

joe greiner
17th March 2008, 11:10 PM
Welcome aboard, Scott. If it took only a 2-hour session to get you hooked, you're surely a goner.

A little browsing here will convince you this is the best forum in the world. Tonnes of advice and challenges here. Even so, I'd suggest more hands-on guidance. There are about 7 AAW chapters in Michigan, all in the catcher's mitt, I think. Go to https://www.woodturner.org/ Select "AAW Local Chapters" from the menu of links, and follow along to list the Michigan chapters. I don't know why (maybe the shared challenge of woodturning anxiety), but it seems woodturners are the friendliest folks you'll ever meet.

Joe

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th March 2008, 03:49 AM
Ah. Sharpening. :think:

That's opening a possible can of worms... you see, there are only two ways to sharpen turning tools. The right way or however anyone else does it. :roll:

Welcome to our madhouse!

Daddy3x
18th March 2008, 04:27 AM
Thanks for all the replies. If it cuts, I must be doing something right. I was looking at the "standard" bowl gouge profile and thoought that it did not look at all like the one the guy let me rough a bowl out with. His had been gound WAY back with wings. I understand both cut bowls, just a matter of preference and how far one has to get down in the bowl. Let me know if it is light I am starting to see now or a train. I WILL get over to a local club and watch some chips fly. I appreciate all your patience, someday I hope to help someone else get started.
Scott

Ad de Crom
18th March 2008, 05:43 AM
Hi Scott, very wellcome to this madhouse, you will find for sure your way.
Sharpening your tools, I think everyone does it on his own way, free hand or with a jig, I'm using for years a own build disc grinder, still I'm happy with this thing. But always a lot of discussions about this point.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th March 2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks for all the replies. If it cuts, I must be doing something right.

:yes: Sweeping back the wings will reduce the risk of catches when you're doinf certain types of cuts.

I was looking at the "standard" bowl gouge profile and thoought that it did not look at all like the one the guy let me rough a bowl out with. His had been gound WAY back with wings. I understand both cut bowls, just a matter of preference and how far one has to get down in the bowl.

And how one has learned to use the tool. You're quite right in saying personal preference has a lot to do with how a tool is shaped... some people have only a few tools that are profiled for versatility while others have more tools than they can poke a stick at, each profiled for maximum efficiency in one specific type of cut.

Most of us are somewhere inbetween.

Sawdust Maker
20th March 2008, 10:40 PM
Welcome to the place of infinite wisdom. The trick is asking the right question:D
I'm yet to think of it

anyway you might want to look at Stu's video for an idea on small bowl's
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=69002

I hope I've done this right. If not no doubt someone will notice and ...

Stu in Tokyo
21st March 2008, 01:17 AM
Yep, looks like you did that right :2tsup:

For sharpening, the best info I've come across for jigs, has been by Kirk DeHeer "Sharpening Demystified," Volume 21 Issue 4, Pages 32–34.

The simple wooden jigs to set up your grinding system to give you perfectly repeatable grinds on your gouges is really amazing.

Find or order that back issue from AAW, it will cost you $7.50, in the US and it worth a lot more than that, IMHO.

I'll try to take a video of the system when I get a chance to show you how it works, but trust me it works well.

I really think that at this stage, you should learn how to set up your jig, to give you consistent, repeatable grinds on your tools, master cutting with those tools, then worry about all of the "Other" grinds etc. There are certainly a bunch of different grinds, and they can all be added to your quiver of tools, but get the basics down first.

There you go, my two yen's worth! :D

Cheers!

Stu in Tokyo
21st March 2008, 05:09 AM
As promised.............

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cRqcth2rBaE"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cRqcth2rBaE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

oldiephred
21st March 2008, 09:26 AM
I suggest that you might find http://aroundthewoods.com useful. The chap presents a lot of information and videos in very good format IMO.

hughie
22nd March 2008, 11:31 AM
Scott,

welcome aboard, be warned sometimes it seems the imates have taken over. :U

my bedst advice would be to ger som cheap chisels and experiment on grinding different styles.

Good Viking advice. :2tsup:

A little browsing here will convince you this is the best forum in the world. Tonnes of advice and challenges here. Even so, I'd suggest more hands-on guidance. There are about 7 AAW chapters in Michigan, all in the catcher's mitt, I think. Go to https://www.woodturner.org/ Select "AAW Local Chapters" from the menu of links, and follow along to list the Michigan chapters. I don't know why (maybe the shared challenge of woodturning anxiety), but it seems woodturners are the friendliest folks you'll ever meet.

Good suggestion as you can ask questions and get hands on advice most anytime you need. :2tsup:

nfld steve
22nd March 2008, 11:54 PM
Welcome Scott.I've been turning about 3 years,though not steady.
I've had periods of discouragement,lol,especially with sharpening!!
I searched the net,and love to read .I ended up making a couple of jigs for sharpening from wood.
They're probably in those links above,lol,.
I made a simple platform,for the skew,and scrapers,and a couple of "holders",that my gouges fit into a hole drilled through,,and then an eye bolt is threaded down through the top which I tighten the gouge with,and I glued a dowel into it which fits in a V notch thingy,and ,,well,I'll try to find some pics,lol.
Anyway,I finally know how to make the fingernail grind on my gouges,and really find this easy to use,and I think Skew told me how to put an arc on my skew chisel,It's easier for me to use.
Actually I NEVER thought I'ld use a skew,I thought I could never learn,but with these people on the forums help,and some reading,I've progressed,and really enjoy turning.I'm not intimidated now like I was.
Now I have to learn to make shapes pleasing to the eye,lol:oo:
If you ever get discouraged,make sure you come back to it,lol.
Anyway,best of luck,it's alot of fun,and really addicting,,but a good addiction I think,and I know alittle about those,:doh:
Steve

Daddy3x
26th March 2008, 01:58 PM
Much appreciation to you all. I have been a boatload of chips fly, and have made some "self taught" observations and am adding to my kindling box for this summer's camping season. Who knew that using my normal waste from furniture making could be so much fun? I am looking more closely at log trimmings fromt he utility companies now for some logs. Any species work better than others for green roughing out? I thought I read somewhere to stick to hardwoods. Great site, and again, thanks.