PDA

View Full Version : Large Redgum

BUNTA
17th March 2008, 01:32 PM
I have finally got round to getting a start on the large redgum log that was annoying me.
with the help of Justin (natural edge) its now cut to length & endgrain sealed .
we measured it & its 1700 wide at the base & only tapers off slightly so we will use Justins dedicated slabber as mine will only cut 1500 wide & my frame will have to be put up on some blocks so we can slab it.
it was cut to 4.5 m .

weisyboy
17th March 2008, 01:38 PM
nice....(what else can i say)

dai sensei
17th March 2008, 07:10 PM
What a beast :2tsup:

Looks old, dry and hard too. Please post more pics when the slabbing is done.

DJ’s Timber
17th March 2008, 07:47 PM
Have fun milling it :U, who gets the job of sharpening the chains :o

charlsie
17th March 2008, 08:48 PM
good log and no barrel up the guts, good luck standing on the back of the ute for the first couple of slabs:2tsup:

artme
18th March 2008, 05:11 PM
Oooooooh yeeeesss!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
18th March 2008, 09:38 PM
You're only showing us this to make us jealous ...
and it's working

funkychicken
18th March 2008, 10:23 PM
Pssh..It's a tiddler...

:D

Sigidi
18th March 2008, 10:51 PM
Before I stop milling (at some point hopefully very far down the track), I just want to have had one of those BIG logs you have to block the endframes up, off the ground to be able to cut her....

This one would about do it...

Very jealous up in Qld:C

Bunta, let us know how the cutting goes, I'd be interested to know how much of it is still wet/dry. I've just planed up some bluegum (forest red) and spotty, both seasoned and the spotty hammered my planer, while the Bluey just melted through it - both sure look good though. Anyway give us a run down on all of the slabbing aspects like sharpening, cutting time, managing the moster slabs:D:2tsup:

BUNTA
19th March 2008, 11:21 AM
Well here is one of it rolled clear & a mate standing next to it with a cheesy grin & all .... i have made a couple of lowlines cabinets out of recycled spotted gum & they flog the hell out of my planner blades every time.

will be milling it the weekend after easter & will post a heap of pics.

Sigidi
19th March 2008, 11:43 AM
What did you use to roll it clear? A can't hook I hope:D

Yeah I can't fathom how rough it was on my planer to put the seasoned spotty through and she's not a small thing - 13" planer, three knife head, power feed at 3m per minute instead of the quick speed of 6m per minute and she just made it through a 6" board:( Although I do like the look of spotty all cleaned up.

BUNTA
19th March 2008, 01:52 PM
What did you use to roll it clear? A can't hook I hope:D

A 300hp john deer front end loader but even that could only manage to roll it once & we didnt want to bend all the linkages.
but its sitting alright now & is soon to be slabs.....it was destined to be firewood so im happy to have saved it :D

weisyboy
19th March 2008, 02:12 PM
firewood!

who was the poor basturd that was going to swing the axe and slit it up

Sigidi
19th March 2008, 03:50 PM
it's always nice to save firewood and get something totally bloody fantastic out of it:2tsup:

Always has made me happy rolling up to on old grey nobody of a log and finding pure gold inside, somehow keeps you more addicted than just the normal sawdust:)

charlsie
19th March 2008, 11:20 PM
this is some type of ash dropped in my yard by a local tree faller. originally it weighed 8.5 tonne its 5.5 mtrs long and approx 1600mm wide . i recon each slab weighed between 100kgs up to 400 kgs cut at 80mm thick. i wish it was red gum. my thoughts on milling logs this big are ,dont slab them to thin ,they move buckle and warp if still wet.this log took 3 days to slab on my own .the slabs have moved alot ,maybe bcoz they were wet or the type of timber they are, i dont know. but if i had my time over i'd slab them a little thicker. the reason i look so glum in the second pic is coz i had no one to help me push the mill
cheers charlsie

seriph1
20th March 2008, 07:21 AM
Mate of mine is in the middle of building a surface miller for slabs.... will be able to plane to 1mm tolerance over probably a 5 metre slab ....... should be handy :D:D:D

BTW He has around 200 tonnes of Redgum all slabbed and ready to go. hundreds of tonnes of other stuff..... it's an illness! :D:D:D:D:D

artme
20th March 2008, 08:35 AM
Some log of some sort of Ash!!:o:o

I need a break and Yarra Valley sounds good!:D:D

Ease up you blokes. This is the Small Timber Milling section!!:p:p:p

charlsie
20th March 2008, 10:20 PM
artme ,the bloke who dropped it off in my back yard told me it was messmate , and it isn't so i reckon it's some type of ash:; yeah i'm a small time miller. thank crikey i dont have those things dropped in my yard all the time .anyway happy easter to all. i'm off to gods country for a few days camping cheers charlsie
seriph1 i have a surface miller that can do the same, slabs 6mtrs long by 2 mtrs wide i had it built to accomadate any slab that a lucas mill could cut send me a pm if your mate needs to move the timber along

Woodlee
23rd March 2008, 10:35 PM
i'm off to gods country for a few days camping cheers charlsie

So your coming up to the NT then ?
Toss that log on ya ute mate I got use of a Petersen Mill when I need it.:U

Kev.

weisyboy
23rd March 2008, 10:38 PM
na mate queensland

charlsie
24th March 2008, 03:39 PM
nah woods point victoria just got back horrible place to a few bunnies running round, good pan size trout in the creek deer honking in the hills pub meals where you cant see the sides of the plate, cold beer ,cold nights and a nice warm fire wish i was still there

Woodlee
24th March 2008, 09:12 PM
Cant stand the cold ,that's why I live up here .Don't mind a cold beer though.

BUNTA
1st April 2008, 08:42 AM
well all went well & justin & i slabbed it in two days .......here is a few pics

DJ’s Timber
1st April 2008, 10:28 AM
Looks nice :2tsup:, so how thick and how many slabs did you end up with?

BUNTA
1st April 2008, 11:04 AM
Looks nice :2tsup:, so how thick and how many slabs did you end up with?

We cut them 60mm thick & we ended up with 20 slabs. There is still about 3 slabs left on the log but we need to lift it up as we ran out of adjustment .
all the slabs cut straight but we had a couple of slabs crack down the middle on us . the big slabs measured were 1800 wide at its widest point then tapered back to 1500 with a length of 4300 useable length

BUNTA
1st April 2008, 01:55 PM
Just another pic ( back down off the drums )

artme
1st April 2008, 02:13 PM
Gorgeous Bunta!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Calm
1st April 2008, 05:38 PM
It makes me jealous to see such beautiul wood.:2tsup::2tsup::D

weisyboy
1st April 2008, 06:45 PM
everybody is mad that stuff is absolut rubbis you will have to load it on a truck and send it down for me to dispose of

Steve Fryar
1st April 2008, 08:16 PM
That's what we have around here,but bigger!!70420

BUNTA
2nd April 2008, 09:06 AM
Well Weisy if i get sick of looking at it i will send it to you ..........lol

here is another pic .... me getting a sun tan .

artme
2nd April 2008, 09:40 AM
Yair Steve! Put a small boy next to anything and it looks big!!:;:;:;

Fencepost2
2nd April 2008, 06:29 PM
A great log Bunta, magnificent and I am in awe of how you handled it.
But, to borrow from Paul Hogan:

You call that a log? This is a log :U

quercus
2nd April 2008, 09:48 PM
Fantastic stuff. Did you happen to do a ring count or estimate how old the tree was.?

That looks like it must have been at least 300 yo.

How long to season slabs like that.?

Steve Fryar
3rd April 2008, 06:26 AM
I measured the beast my son Liam is sitting on.2.4m(8ft) near the base.It's not hollowed out like most redgums.To big for me.:C

BUNTA
3rd April 2008, 08:23 AM
Fantastic stuff. Did you happen to do a ring count or estimate how old the tree was.?

That looks like it must have been at least 300 yo.

How long to season slabs like that.?

Did not count the rings Quercus & im not sure what even killed the tree but it was dropped when it was dead by firewood cutters a while ago.. so i was happy to end up with the part that matters .. befor that came back to clean up.
the slabs will take aprox 2 - 3 years to dry .

& its a pitty i dont live near by Steve as my lucas would be all over that log like a fat kid on a cupcake .. but im sure there is some one near by that could miil it for you ...thats of course if you dont have one already !!