PDA

View Full Version : Bowl 4 a Cure

Toasty
18th March 2008, 10:58 AM
Hi All,

Last week I participated in the Shave 4 a Cure and as part of my fundraising I hocked off a small natural edge work via a "silent auction". I would have been happy with $30-$50 but thankfully the highest bid was $80 with 100% going to the foundation.

The next time you have a fundraiser in your work enviroment maybe think about auctioning off a piece of your woodturning which can sometimes be more palitable to people than an outright donation.

OGYT
18th March 2008, 01:19 PM
Toasty, congratulations on the donation!!
Looks to me like it should have brought more than that, though. That's a beautiful piece.!!!
Dynamite idea!

Toasty
18th March 2008, 01:39 PM
Thanks Al,

I was happy with $80, my overall fundraising totalled $1500. In case you're not familiar with it, the Shave 4 a Cure (http://www.worldsgreatestshave.com/) is part of the Leukaemia Foundation.

artme
18th March 2008, 02:00 PM
Well done Toasty!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

ss_11000
18th March 2008, 03:01 PM
good onya:2tsup:

rsser
18th March 2008, 03:51 PM
Nice one.

robutacion
18th March 2008, 05:13 PM
Well done Toasty.
Donations and fund-raising come in lots of shapes and forms, yours is like a moment in life dedicated to those in need.

I have participated in a seminar at the beginning of 2007, where people were trying to find a way to remember the young people and kids that have died with cancer or related diseases, in the year of 2006, in a single and particular State of Australia. (State not relevant)
I have made an offer to make a wooden bowl no less than 10" diameter, for every name in the list. A couple of other people have donated a silver like plate, with the names engraved of each one, and someone else have donated the gluing of those plates into the bowls. Unfortunately, for me and the other donors, the list had/has 463 names on it.
There are not two bowls the same, and even with approx, 4 months unable to do any work last year, I'm nearly halfway there. I have no relatives or friends among those in the list, nor is that an issue. One thing is for sure, I will never be able to repeat my donation, I would be just grateful if I manage to finish it. If everything goes according to plan, family and friends, will be able to receive a symbolic reminder of those gone, before the start of 2009, for me, I will have at least 463 reminders to deal with, and I'm OK with it.

Cheers
RBTCO

funkychicken
18th March 2008, 09:56 PM
Now that's a nice bowl:2tsup:

What's the timber?

TTIT
19th March 2008, 12:02 AM
Very commendable gesture Toasty - and a nice looking piece to boot:2tsup:

Toasty
19th March 2008, 07:22 AM
What's the timber?
That thar be a nice little piece of Coolahbah Burl.

Thanks to everyone who has responded with their kind comments too. It is a worthy cause/charity and there are plenty more out there for people would would like to donate a little bit of their time.

Toasty
19th March 2008, 07:25 AM
If everything goes according to plan, family and friends, will be able to receive a symbolic reminder of those gone, before the start of 2009, for me, I will have at least 463 reminders to deal with, and I'm OK with it.

Wow that is certainly something touching, best of luck with your goal.

OGYT
19th March 2008, 09:38 AM
RBTCO, that's more than just an admirable endeavor! You're much man for undertaking such a challenge... a challenge from yourself, to boot! Good for you!

hughie
19th March 2008, 03:27 PM
RBTCO
A worthy challenge, by an exemplary heart. :2tsup: