PDA

View Full Version : Noisy dust extractor

Arron
14th January 2004, 09:30 PM
Hi. I have a 2hp dust extractor. It's one of the carbatec ones. My problem is its really noisy. It's a relentless high pitched noise that I hate and I dont doubt the neighbours hate it too. Does anyone have any suggestions on making it a bit quieter. I was thinking about making a chipboard/melamine box around the motor - but wondered if there were any other solutions I was overlooking.

cheers
Arron

Red neck
14th January 2004, 10:06 PM
Arron,

Noise can be trickey to isolate. What may sound like motor noise could be turbine noise and enclosing the motor may not eliminate it. Your description "...a relentless high pitched noise ..." does sound as if the noise is comming from the impeller. You could build some sort of a sound proof annexe outside your shed to house the unit.

DarrylF
14th January 2004, 10:20 PM
Does it still make the same noise without the hoses connected? Could it be noise from the hoses, piping or an air leak around the impeller etc?

Wayne Davy
15th January 2004, 12:23 AM
I have a 2hp unit H&F (same as carbatec) hooked up to my Cyclone - only noise is the motor humm and the air movement. I agree with the guys that trying to track down a high pitched noise is not gunna be fun.

First, try removing the hoses and trying it as Darryl suggested. If the noise is still there and if it is under warranty - NEXT, take it back to Carbatec.

If not, try removing the Impeller and then running the motor BRIEFLY without it - if the noise is still there, its obviously in the motor. If its gone, check the impeller - not real sure what to look for - daggy welds or even a small hole in the metal acting like a whistle. Good luck.

adrian
16th January 2004, 02:27 PM
May be a dumb answer but have you tried spraying a heap of WD40 into the inlet with the collector (bag) removed.

barnsey
16th January 2004, 05:48 PM
Please!!

WD40 through the inlet wont cure anything, create a mess and give you trouble - imagine how the dust will stick to WD40 later!!!

Use a long screw driver and try and hear where the noise is coming from by securely pressing the blade as close as you can on the motor housing at each end where the bearings are and pressing your ear bone against the handle. You should find a difference one end to the other if it is a bearing. Then if you can't tell any difference try on the impellor housing. The source of the squeal should become apparent.

If not take it back to Carba-tec as Wayne suggested. Unless you've had it for years you should be able to get them to be reasonable. As a matter of interest - have you had a tool or something else fairly solid dissappear down the sucking end?

That may have distorted a blade on the unit or has this noise been there since new?

Good Luck

Jamie

adrian
17th January 2004, 10:55 AM
"Please!!"

And when you remove the screwdriver from your ear you can teach the kids to unblock the toaster with it.
Seriously thoughI did say that mine might be a dumb suggestion. The WD40 was simply to find out whether the problem was mechanical or accoustic. ie grinding or just a whistle. Also with bags and hoses off to see if it only does it under load.
Either way it probably needs to be taken apart and cleaned. I had a similar problem with a pool pump and judicious squirts through the little tube provided with a can of WD40 into specific spots soon pinpointed the source of the noise. It's sometimes easier to do it this way than taking it apart first and then trying to find it.
Also, I think sap can sometimes be just as sticky as WD40, especially the pine that we get these days that is aged and cured on the truck while being delivered.

hairy
17th January 2004, 07:18 PM
arron,
l have the same unit and it makes the same noise as you describe.
l dont think you can do anything about it apart from enclosing the whole unit in an insulated enclosure.
hairy