PDA

View Full Version : The Light

killerbeast
19th March 2008, 07:32 PM
this shape have been gooing around some of the other froums, and i decided to try it out. Its my first winged turning ever. But from the fun i had making it it def. wont be the last.

Wood is ordinary god danish white oak. (love the stuff) it chips a little to much for this kind of project but i think i nailed it none the less.

sanded to 240 and DO. (this is prototype after all)

69575 69576 69577

Let me know what you think....

PS: great with the spelling TheLight ... hehe I see the light at the end of the tunnel.. could someone please fix that

Toasty
19th March 2008, 08:59 PM
Very nice. Watch your knuckles though :doh:

wheelinround
19th March 2008, 09:03 PM
:2tsup: THATS SPECIAL great work little lady must be impressed

killerbeast
19th March 2008, 09:05 PM
She is :-)

DJ’s Timber
19th March 2008, 09:10 PM
.. could someone please fix that

Done :2tsup:

Nice job, its fun turning these winged ones isn't it :U

killerbeast
19th March 2008, 09:19 PM
they are great fun... i have already been spending time planing og expading on the design. Also i was actually asked by our teacher at the club if i could demo how to do thees!! so nobody tell her that im a complete beginner.... Hmm i will have to do a write up on the tek. in danish though...
But itīs great for the self confidence to be asked to do a demo already ....

rodent
19th March 2008, 10:28 PM
Ah just like the old days ,playing with model airplanes flipping over the props . Got as many injuries from them too . nice one K B

Harry72
19th March 2008, 11:46 PM
Nice work Rasmus

artme
20th March 2008, 08:06 AM
Good one rasmus!! I like that style of turning!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Toasty
22nd March 2008, 03:15 PM
Watch your knuckles though :doh:
Can't take my own damn advice. Was inspired by this thread and gave one of those a go today, exept a stock four corner one - yours looks much better, KillerB. Anyway, was sanding the bottom when the paper caught and my knuckles were given a right good rap, even broke one of the legs off :~

Didn't let that deter me though and cut up another beam of unknown wood (lightish colour, looks like from construction/building, has a "spicy" smell when turning) and finished the second one without further injury.

Good fun to do, but don't attempt unless your brain is 100% on the task...

wheelinround
22nd March 2008, 03:45 PM
Can't take my own damn advice. Was inspired by this thread and gave one of those a go today, exept a stock four corner one - yours looks much better, KillerB. Anyway, was sanding the bottom when the paper caught and my knuckles were given a right good rap, even broke one of the legs off :~

Didn't let that deter me though and cut up another beam of unknown wood (lightish colour, looks like from construction/building, has a "spicy" smell when turning) and finished the second one without further injury.

Good fun to do, but don't attempt unless your brain is 100% on the task...

:worthless:

of the knuckles

of the bowls

Toasty
22nd March 2008, 03:49 PM
:worthless:

of the knuckles

of the bowls

LOL. The candle thingy is currently getting drying with some blo/tung/poly and being the first coat looks very dull, so pics later. My fingers are no where near as impressive as that other fellows who got them all chewed up, just some missing skin and a small bruise under the tip of my thumbnail. :q

killerbeast
22nd March 2008, 06:34 PM
Itīs not nice to laugh when others get hurt but LOL:D

I am pretty satisfied with my results. I am acually working on more of the little buggers... im doing a picture tutorial for tha guys on my danish forum, and for the club. If itīs any good i will translate it...

Gil Jones
23rd March 2008, 01:26 PM
Rasmus,
Fine turning work, and a very good looking winged light:2tsup:
Try a winged hollow form when you have the time.

madcraft
23rd March 2008, 03:12 PM
Itīs not nice to laugh when others get hurt but LOL:D

I am pretty satisfied with my results. I am acually working on more of the little buggers... im doing a picture tutorial for tha guys on my danish forum, and for the club. If itīs any good i will translate it...

Hi KB

Can't wait for the translation

Regards
Glenn

killerbeast
23rd March 2008, 07:58 PM
Then ill have to get it done both the danish and english edition

Toasty
24th March 2008, 07:14 PM
As requested here are my attempts at the light. Good fun to do but my finger is still smarting from where one of the legs took out a chunk of the tip :doh: Don't know what the wood is sorry.

On the two at the back I didn't go deep enough and the candle stands a fraction proud. I think if I am looking to do more of these I might get an appropriatly sized forstner bit to speed up the hole process.

SWMBO has already put in an order for two slightly taller ones so there are three heights and they can stand in a cluster. Maybe on another four day weekend.

Thanks for the inspiration, Ramsus.

OGYT
25th March 2008, 01:47 PM
Nice work, Toasty.. they look like they work. You and Rasmus have me started, now. Gotta make some of these! :)

Rasmus, I really like the three-legged light. Looks right on! I'm ready for the English version, too. :D
When looking at the profile pic of your light, it appears as though the bottom's a lot deeper than a normal tea light candle. And the top view pic looks like you have a metal liner in the pocket.
Questions: Is the candle a regular little "Tea Lite" candle with the metal cup? Or do you have a metal liner that you insert into the pocket?

killerbeast
25th March 2008, 05:50 PM
the light is a regular littel light. But i also have a metal insert in there, i have a shelf to prove that theese things get realy hot sometimes (has a black hole in it). The depth of the bottom is by design ... i liked the war of the worlds tripod look i gave...

OGYT
28th March 2008, 03:23 PM
The depth of the bottom is by design ... i liked the war of the worlds tripod look i gave...
Me too! :2tsup: