19th March 2008, 11:33 PM
what do you reckon
anyone tried it?

Harry72
19th March 2008, 11:57 PM
Yeah it'll work wont be pretty tho.

Hadamona
20th March 2008, 02:57 AM
May not be as "acoustically transparent" as speaker grille cloth, I don't think it would look too bad either.

old_picker
20th March 2008, 07:21 AM
was in bunnies yesterday and they have a few different colours
one looking similar to the "wheat" grille used on guitar amps

black_labb
21st March 2008, 01:59 PM
i was going to do exactly this on my bass cab. i put my ears under it and couldnt hear the difference in soudns from the radio, so its not too bad i dont think. i will probably use it for a 2x10 guitar cab as well.

funny that we got the same idea.

old_picker
21st March 2008, 05:09 PM
building a 2x10 as well and bought some fender oxblood grille that i ended up not liking that much - paid high dollar as well - like the wheat looking shade cloth and theres also a redish one that looks pretty cool as well

Harry72
21st March 2008, 09:13 PM
Man... go for the tweed!

black_labb
23rd March 2008, 02:34 PM
im thinking ill use the reddish one for my 2x10 as it will contrast well with the natural pine cab. i want to have the cab sounding as good as i can, but i dont really care about dings and such. as long as the baffle is in good shape and supported correctly, and the speakers are working well ill be happy.

old_picker
24th March 2008, 08:54 PM
:2tsup: for the red thats what i'd use - might do mine the same
are you usin radiata or brazil pine?

black_labb
26th March 2008, 01:20 AM
cheap bunnies pine, found a couple relatively clear pieces. not sure where its from.

ciscokid
26th March 2008, 10:22 PM
For what it is worth, I used the beige cloth for this 2 x 12 v-front cab. I think it goes well with the black walnut. It sounds fine, but I don't think guitar cabs are as picky as high fidelity speakers.

old_picker
26th March 2008, 11:38 PM
For what it is worth, I used the beige cloth for this 2 x 12 v-front cab. I think it goes well with the black walnut. It sounds fine, but I don't think guitar cabs are as picky as high fidelity speakers.

:2tsup:mmm tasty lookin amp

ciscokid
27th March 2008, 05:07 AM
Thank you. :) It is 35 watts through a pair of matched 6L6s. I point to point hand wired the whole thing and then needed a cabinet. I ran into a fellow with some nice wide slabs of black walnut and the rest is history. It sounds good and is very low noise at idle. I turned the knobs out of some scrap cocobolo and maple I had around. The decorative panel is bookmatched movingue just because I thought it looked neat. I bought the grill cloth through Rockler.

black_labb
27th March 2008, 08:08 AM
very nice looking cab there. im afraid i wont be putting that much attention to detail into mine, but i know it will probably have dings and scratches everywhere soon, so i might as well not make it look great in the first place.

ciscokid
27th March 2008, 10:36 AM
I understand completely. When I was your age my stuff was in and out of vans and trucks constantly. Now, in my later years, I mostly play hollowbody archedtops in my home. Funny how wives change over the years. Used to be a time she didn't mind black tolex Peaveys in the living room. Now, she seems to care. So I took up building 'furniture amps' for blokes like me who got older but still like to play. Make an amp look a piece of fine furniture and the wives are more acceptable to the idea.

I live in the States and have access to many amplifier building supplies. Should you be requiring anything specific, I would be happy to send it over the pond to you. I ship timber regularly, grill cloth wouldn't cost a thing.

black_labb
27th March 2008, 01:23 PM
I understand completely. When I was your age my stuff was in and out of vans and trucks constantly. Now, in my later years, I mostly play hollowbody archedtops in my home. Funny how wives change over the years. Used to be a time she didn't mind black tolex Peaveys in the living room. Now, she seems to care. So I took up building 'furniture amps' for blokes like me who got older but still like to play. Make an amp look a piece of fine furniture and the wives are more acceptable to the idea.

I live in the States and have access to many amplifier building supplies. Should you be requiring anything specific, I would be happy to send it over the pond to you. I ship timber regularly, grill cloth wouldn't cost a thing.

thanks for the offer. may take you up on that at some stage. id love to build a great looking cab and amp like yours one day too. ill wait until the time is right though.

and again, great looking work

hybridfiat
8th July 2008, 12:44 PM
Im finishing a few speakers off in the next week or two, Ill need speaker cloth for at least 2 pairs. Id like to get good quality as the speakers cost a packet, (Danish drivers and top line componants).:)
Who do you get the stuff from?

ciscokid
12th July 2008, 03:04 AM
I got mine through Rockler. They had three colors last time I looked. Here's the link.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2265&filter=speaker%20cloth

Whoops! Looks like they've discontinued the white. Two colors only now.

Brisso57
25th July 2008, 10:08 AM
Put on a false moustache and spend a half hour browsing in Spotlight!

:-)

They have a number of different types of fabric suitable for grilles, and you can also pick up dacron wadding.

Doug

Fantapantz
16th January 2009, 08:10 AM
Go to Spotlight (female version of Bunnings) and check out material there. You can get the equivilant of proper speaker cloth for a fraction of the price, and you can get it in wonderful colours is so desired.

Forget the false moustache, just walk around with a limp wrist so the sales assistants don't give you funny looks. It's like your invading a private inner sactum at times.

Bonsa1
17th January 2009, 10:49 AM
Grille cloth! what's that? Is that the stuff that spoils the look of your drivers....:D

black_labb
11th March 2009, 12:30 AM
just an update, after redoing the grillcloth on my cab with a bit thinner stuff (70% shadecloth as opposed to 90% which i realised i had used last time) and with a proper stapler, as opposed to thumb tacks. it looks great, doesnt vibrate with the low frequencies (was moving pretty far ~6-8cm) and is now plenty tight. only downside is the 18x18mm tas oak frame is pulled in around 6mm or so at the edges of the long side (640mm from memory) due to the tension. the vinyl around it is black so its not really noticeable, but shows the amount of tension i had to put on the thing to get it looking and feeling really nice and tight. looks very professional though.