PDA

View Full Version : GIS and Oz MkII PDR - Can parts be swapped?

Theodor
20th March 2008, 10:38 AM
Just to make myself clear from the start, I just want to know what parts from a GIS build I can use on a PDR build (not bothered about visa-versa really) and the consequental effects on performance from doing such.

Now to my analysis...

From the GIS plans, we have the final approx. dimensions of various parts as:
Lug Mast (Hallow Box): 4730 x 82 x 82
Lug Mast (Spar Oregan): 4730 x 85.3 x 85.3
Centreboard (Solid Wood): ~1400 x 341 x 22 with hardwood pieces along both sides
Rudder (Solid Wood): 1000 x 260 x 22 with hardwood piece along front side

From the PDR plans:
Lug Mast (Hallow Box): 5064 x 64 x 64 (with glass on bottom end)
Centreboard (Solid Wood): 1100 x 280 x 22 (with optional 10mm hardwood piece on the front)
Rudder (Solid Wood): 900 x 280 x 22

Inital thoughts:
1. GIS Mast couldn't easily be used on PDR
2. GIS centreboard and rudder are bigger so there would be a huge performance loss if trying to use PDR ones on GIS

Now I am sure I stumbled across a picture somewhere (maybe of Miss Jones Age 11?), where the tag said they were using the GIS centreboard and rudder on their PDR. I could be wrong though.

Obviously, it would be wise to make the GIS centreboard, rudder and tiller for use on the PDR (assuming you were building both). I doubt I will have shall water issues where I will sail. The tiller plans seem to be identical in both plans. I would not be too concerned for the performance hiccups which might result from using these on a PDR - I would expect less heel, but anything more?

If I planned to do this, what adjustments would need to be made to Oz MkII PDR setup?

I am keen to make the GIS at some stage, however if Koala wants to try a PDR, then I'll ask him to buy double of stuff and we can make some together (read: I'll get him to do all the hard work and just tell him what I want mine to look like :D).

Thanks in advance.

Daddles
20th March 2008, 04:03 PM
I wouldn't bother trying mate. It's not hard to build a rudder or centreboard - you'll spend more time at the shop choosing the right bit of timber than you will anything else. They aren't high expense items either.

The mast is a bit different and maybe Mik can offer some guidance there.

Unless it's something like a sail, which is is expensive (but not likely to be common with two such different sized craft), just build a full set for each boat and be done with it.

Richard

Boatmik
20th March 2008, 06:55 PM
Actually Theodor,

The PDR centreboard would work OK in the Goat (I have designed them to be the same thickness) - you would just have to cut the top at the correct angle and narrow up the slot in the centrecase on the goat - you would keep the front edge of the centreboard where it is and move the back spacer in the centrecase only. Also you would have to shape the bottom edge of the PDR centreboard using the trailing edge template rather than rounding it over.

The GIS rudder blade will work in the PDR rudder box for the PDR. But you will need to make a GIS rudder box as well because the tiller is longer and stronger for the bigger boat.

With the masts ... they wont transfer - because of the stability of the two boats. I designed the PDR mast around one person working hard to hold the boat up.

Maybe 85kg x 0.9m

On the Goat it might be 3 people on a wider boat
255kg x 1.2m

So the GIS mast needs to be quite beefy.

Michael.

Theodor
22nd March 2008, 04:19 PM
Well it was just a thought really. I won't bother trying to mix and match parts. No doubt there will be too much frustration in adjusting centreboxes, etc. Also, if I end up passing on something I make, I wouldn't want to be short on equipment.

Boatmik
23rd March 2008, 07:52 PM
I don't think it would be any great problem to use the boards the way I suggest above.

But the downside is that you can only use one boat on the day. Maybe you will have a group of friends sometime and want to use both boats.

Michael

Cybernaught
28th March 2008, 05:53 PM
You mentioned:

"Obviously, it would be wise to make the GIS centreboard, rudder and tiller for use on the PDR (assuming you were building both)."

Have you considered that if you only use one assortment of parts for both boats that you can only have one boat in the water at a time? OK! I know that you personally cannot sail two boats at once but if you have more guests than can fit in the GIS it might be nice to let some of the overflow take out the PDR.

CN

Boatmik
29th March 2008, 12:04 AM
Howdy Cybernaught!

Have a look at the post above yours! :-)

MIK