PDA

View Full Version : CNC router setup questions

TK1
20th March 2008, 01:35 PM
Hi,

I'm a complete novice at this, but have had the question raised by a friend about CNC routing so thought I'd post here and let the experts (i.e. anyone but me!) have some input...

Let me first try and explain the end goal:

We're looking at buying/putting together a CNC setup to speed up the cutting out of frame shapes and parts in wooden model ships. This is how they're usually manufactured, and for ourselves and short runs of pre-cut parts, some sort of CNC setup would save a lot of time and effort (usually doen with a bandsaw/scrollsaw).

We'd like to be able to load frame shapes (2-dimensional - imagine the shape of a cross-section of a ship) into a computer and cut the parts out.

The curring would only be out of 4 - 6mm plywood, so not onerous in terms of HP required, and only needs to handle smallish sheet sizes, eg 900 x 1200.

Be good to be able to cut out detail parts too, which would be out of thinner ply and would require a very small router bit, or possibly a dremel-type size router.

So, the questions in no particular order, are:

Can this be done (I assume so as manufacturers do it liek this, or with lasers).

What sort of setups are available that may suit our needs?

How hard is it to set up, maintain, etc a CNC setup - do they need calibration, etc often?

Would it be easier to find a commercial operation and do a deal with them (we will be paid to provide the parts for others so hope to cover our costs)?

So, I'm open to any ideas, purchase options, questions, ridicule, etc if anyone is able to help.

Regards,
Darren
Melbourne, Australia.

rodm
21st March 2008, 02:10 AM
Hi Darren,
In short

Can this be done (I assume so as manufacturers do it liek this, or with lasers).

Yes

What sort of setups are available that may suit our needs?

Gantry Router is the most popular design

How hard is it to set up, maintain, etc a CNC setup - do they need calibration, etc often?

Not hard at all. No need to re-calibrate once machine is set up first time unless parts are changed out.

Would it be easier to find a commercial operation and do a deal with them (we will be paid to provide the parts for others so hope to cover our costs)?

It will cost you about $3 to $5k depending on choices of materials and parts to build a machine that size. This gives you a guide to which way you want to go.