PDA

View Full Version : Made up another jig I quite like.

JDarvall
22nd March 2008, 03:16 PM
Pinched this one from a finewoodworking magazine thats being kicked around at work.

Just allows me to centre up the ends of stock quickly. Just a block of wood I chopped a V into with the droop saw. Runs along the fence.

Zip, zip zip, zip.....and do both ends of timber real quick. Just love simple things like this that work.

The one in the magizine had a strip attached though, that locates in the bandsaw table slot. Might be better that way, but it seemed fine without.

Toasty
22nd March 2008, 03:19 PM
Looks great :2tsup: but be careful cutting all the way along the grain like that, you've just given the blank a perfect point to split down.

JDarvall
22nd March 2008, 03:41 PM
ta. I like them deep enough to engage those spurs fully though.

Hardenfast
22nd March 2008, 08:47 PM
Hey Jake, I must be tired and delirious as I'm not understanding what this jig does at all. I liked your cone thingy, but the purpose of this one one is eluding me for some reason. If does look simple enough - I'll grant you that.

Also, what's a droop saw? Anything like a drop saw - or do I have to go and buy another piece of equipment now?

Wayne

JDarvall
22nd March 2008, 10:22 PM
Just for lathe work. The drive centre has 4 spurs on it that bite nicely into those bandsaw kerfs. And at the tail the live centre sits nicely straight into the cross.

Its just so quick. A few seconds to put a cross on both ends of your stick, and its ready to be roughed in. Imagine it be particularily handy if you've got hundreds of sticks to turn.

droop saw. yep sorry. drop saw. Just my sliding compound saw set at 45. A couple of cuts on the scrap to form the 'V'.

TTIT
22nd March 2008, 11:53 PM
Has another use too Jake. I have a block cut the same way but I use it for holding rounds/log sections when docking them on the bandsaw - had 2 logs roll in and jam the blade before I learned my lesson :B:B:o
Oddly enough, I've never used mine the way you are but then I don't do a lot of spindle stuff either - but next time....

JDarvall
23rd March 2008, 03:31 PM
spose I've never had a need to holding logs like that. Must remember that.

So I'm guessing you use the jig to cut off a single flat side first, then using that new face finish the other cuts ?

Hardenfast
23rd March 2008, 09:51 PM
Got it - thanks Jake. As I said - tired and delirious. Probably more of the latter. Too much time on the droop saw last week, me thinks.

joe greiner
23rd March 2008, 10:57 PM
You can also cut such a V-block on a table saw. And I don't think the angles need to be 45 degrees, as long as both sides are the same.

Another use is for drilling transverse holes in round stock on the drill press (likely the original application of such a device). Even hand-held works, but with the block clamped in a cross-slide vise, precision can be perfect.

Joe

TTIT
23rd March 2008, 11:28 PM
spose I've never had a need to holding logs like that. Must remember that.

So I'm guessing you use the jig to cut off a single flat side first, then using that new face finish the other cuts ?Just for docking Jake. If you slide a round log into the blade it tends to bite and roll the log into itself VERY FAST and buries the blade in to the log VERY DEEP. Usually bends the blade in the process and scares the bejeezus outta ya!:o Takes some major effort to get the blade out again too:B Using the "V" block supports the round along two lines so you only need to keep a little downward pressure on it as you push it through - also allows you to use the crosscut fence for a square cut.:U
For getting a single flat side on a log, I still use the sled I made way back here! (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=29656)

JDarvall
23rd March 2008, 11:45 PM
No worries Wayne.

Whats a transverse hole Joe ?

Gotcha TTIT. incredible looking jig you've got going there. Quite envious actually.

joe greiner
24th March 2008, 10:12 PM
Whats a transverse hole Joe ?

Just a precise technical term for crosswise, Jake. For example, starter or final holes for mortises on spindles; for chair legs, etc. A few other applications which escape me at the moment.

Joe

JDarvall
24th March 2008, 11:26 PM
Gotcha. Ta.