PDA

View Full Version : My very first door

SAISAY
23rd March 2008, 08:46 AM
Yesterday I made my very first ever raised panel door and I feel 7 feet tall :D
I made it out of an old door jamb and I didn't bother with the nailholes as it was only a practice piece.
However, I have a problem.
When I did the raised panel. I get an anooying little ridge where the router finishes the cut, as in the first picture. I did the end grain first and the sides after.
When I tried to sand it I lost the definition of the ridge as in the next picture.
HOW do I get it to look as in the last picture?
TIA
Wolffie

artme
23rd March 2008, 08:50 AM
That is a wonderful job!! congratulations!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
I wonder if using some type of scraper might help wit your problem.

Fuzzie
23rd March 2008, 02:33 PM
It looks like a problem with the depth control of the cut. The side mouldings are being cut deeper than the end grain.

I guess it depends on how you are using the router, hand held or in a table and what sort of bit you are using.

Would running a second pass over the end grain, taking a really fine cut, even up the job?

BTW, Nice job! I've only ever tried to do raised panels using a handplane (#78), so my comments are just random thoughts.

malb
23rd March 2008, 02:51 PM
Wolfie, I'm thinking that you did very well for a first attempt. Personally I haven't tried anything like that yet but anticipate being there in a year or so when I build a new kitchen for my rental (inherited) house.

My thoughts on the little fluff at the end of the router run is to avoid it by initially cutting timber oversize, routing and then trimming the ends back to give a clean fluff free profile.

Again plucking from my wealth of inexperience, maybe a lot of the sanding issues in corners coud be avoided if the bulk of the sanding is done before assembly, and possibly using a profiled sanding pad.

More than happy to be shot down here as it will help educate me in this area.

eddie the eagle
23rd March 2008, 03:36 PM
Wolfie,

More than happy to be shot down here as it will help educate me in this area.

Dunno about shooting you down, but this is where slight of hand/tricks of the eye come into play.

It's caused by the board jumping off the fence or lifting ever-so-slightly off the table.

Try routing in multiple passes, with the last pass being only one or two mm.
Keep the router table clear of dust.

The slight of hand is to just get the top corner square, so that it looks as though it's a nice straight cut, and put the bump at the bottom of the door where it won't get noticed. A bit of chisel work and the thing's done. I use a shoulder plane to clean up things like this (no concave parts? by the look of things).

If you must sand it down, you need a hard sanding block (ie: a bit of 1" square by about 4" long scrap,) so that the profile stays intact.

If you've got a lot to do, you could make a sanding block to fit from a bit of hard foam or plaster of paris poured onto a bit of gladwrap sitting on a moulding.

Cheers,

eddie

SAISAY
23rd March 2008, 04:22 PM
Thank you so much for all the helpful replies, today I have extended my life a couple of more days by learning something new.
1) It looks like a problem with the depth control of the cut. The side mouldings are being cut deeper than the end grain.
No change in the setting of the bit from end grain to whatever it is called (long side grain???)
2) I guess it depends on how you are using the router, hand held or in a table and what sort of bit you are using.
I Never Ever use a large bit like that (52mm) in a hand held router, wouldn't be able to control it.
3) Would running a second pass over the end grain, taking a really fine cut, even up the job?
I always do at least 2 passes every cut before I change the depth, only change 2 mm until the last cut when I do 1 mm
4) My thoughts on the little fluff at the end of the router run is to avoid it by initially cutting timber oversize, routing and then trimming the ends back to give a clean fluff free profile.
As it is a tongue and groove sort of cut and done on all 4 sides of the panel, I doubt that would be possible
5) Wolfie, I'm thinking that you did very well for a first attempt. Personally I haven't tried anything like that yet but anticipate being there in a year or so when I build a new kitchen for my rental (inherited) house.
Thank you so very much for the nice comment
6) It's caused by the board jumping off the fence or lifting ever-so-slightly off the table.
I am using hold down fingers but maybe the last one is too far away from the bit?
7) Try routing in multiple passes, with the last pass being only one or two mm.
I would not have the guts to do it in one pass, my heart would never go down where it belongs again. The very first one I did in one pass, when it jumped back at me, I had to go and wipe the freckles off my legs :rolleyes:
Keep the router table clear of dust.
I use a sucker on the router table.
8) Again plucking from my wealth of inexperience, maybe a lot of the sanding issues in corners coud be avoided if the bulk of the sanding is done before assembly, and possibly using a profiled sanding pad.
I sanded before assemble but MAYBE just MAYBE I was a little heavy handed??? Maybe I should try and get a profiled sanding pad next time we go to the big smoke?

Can't wait to get some more timber to p-lay with on Tuesday.

Have a nice rest of the Easter

Wolffie
BTW these are the bits I am using
http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=ct_popup_img&img=images%2Fhires%2FCTOG-57B-1-2.jpg