PDA

View Full Version : First Real Try with Pole Lathe

derekh
24th March 2008, 10:16 PM
Here's a progress report on my Green woodworking.

I actually got some time over Easter to try out my Shave Horse and Pole Lathe on real green wood, Bull-oak, and unfortunately things didn't go as well as planned and even worse I didn't take any photos. I had problems with the wood rattling in the spindles and flinging out. I also had issues with the wood tearing and not cutting when using the roughing gouge or skew, the skew also kept digging in.

I researched these problems with the UK Bodgers website and it seems that my spindles need more work to be smoother and my tools need to be sharper. From what I read, many people have problems with their skew so it's just a matter of time and developing technique. And I could do better when rounding off the timber in the Shave Horse before mounting. Overall, it was a disappointing experience but I learnt a few lessons and will try again in a few weeks when I next return to my property. Being a total newbie, was one reason why I worked alone so no one would see my errors. In a forest, no one can hear you swear.

The only real joy was using my new Stihl 441 Magnum to clear trees off the road. What an awesome piece of machinery, cut through large logs like butter.

cheers Derek

tea lady
25th March 2008, 12:03 AM
I'd love to play with one of those.:cool: But I think I live to close to neighbours. I like the idea of being able to do things in very low tech ways. Not that it means low skill. Have you turned on a powered lathe before this adventure?:?

Fuzzie
25th March 2008, 07:58 AM
Sounds like an interesting project, sorry it turned into a disappointment! There's no problem with being a newbie, but do take pictures even if you don't post them, they are good for your own private records and you may feel like sharing the early experiences once you get a handle on things.

bsrlee
26th March 2008, 09:35 PM
You need to get the York Archeological Trust's book on wooden objects from the excavations in York - it has a really extensive section on pole lathes, tools & technique. Other than that , 'The Wooden Bowl' by Robin Wood is pretty good - he has some video's on U-tube - but unfortunately his book is not as detailed on either techniques or hard information on excavated items, but it has some wonderful colour photos.

And yes, I own them both, along with 'Before the Mast' from the Mary Rose Trust, which has all the personal wooden items for the wreck of the Mary Rose.

tea lady
26th March 2008, 10:44 PM
I think there is a post on here somewhere of that guy turning a bowl. Has a race with a powered lathe. Pretty cool.:D

funkychicken
27th March 2008, 11:24 PM
Good onya Derek:2tsup:

You're welcome to come use my lathe anytime, I'll give you a few lessons.

Oh and with the skew.... It's a dangerous tool, don't use it until you are confident, watch some turning videos or other turners so you have some idea what you're doing.

I can't offer any help with the pole lathe or anything to do with green woodworking:roll::B

Have fun!
Funky C

flynnsart
27th March 2008, 11:30 PM
Try loosening your bunji cord if that is what you are using. Start out by using some small branches as they are already in the round, it will get you used to the rythm. Work your way up to using some you have split and used the drawknife on.

Tealady, it is a craft you could get away with doing in a flat, it is very quiet.

Donna

tea lady
28th March 2008, 10:35 AM
Try loosening your bunji cord if that is what you are using. Start out by using some small branches as they are already in the round, it will get you used to the rythm. Work your way up to using some you have split and used the drawknife on.

Tealady, it is a craft you could get away with doing in a flat, it is very quiet.

Donna

Yes but what about the swearing?

derekh
31st March 2008, 08:44 AM
Sorry for not replying earlier but I've been away for a week. I'm going back out west next weekend and I'll try again. I cannot take photos the week because daughter will have the camera for a week when she is away on school holidays but I will post some as soon as I can.

flynnsart
31st March 2008, 07:31 PM
Dont use a skew on it till you have it round with a gouge.

Donna