PDA

View Full Version : Where would I buy a workshop dust extractor?

Ratmick
17th January 2004, 12:48 AM
Hi all,

I've just started out in woodworking, bought a Bosch 1/2" router, Metabo jigsaw, Makita Circular saw and a Makita sander, all which make copious amounts of sawdust.

My first lot of work has been making a power tool cabinet out of 16 and 12mm MDF, which I've cut to size with the jigsaw, and routed the edges (mainly to try out the router). I'm wearing earmuffs, safety glasses and a facemask with replaceable filters, but I'm finding everything else in my workshop is getting covered in fine MDF dust (hence the requirement for a tool cabinet).

...so therefore I'd like to either convert my workshop (ex-household) VAX into a dust extractor, and somehow source the relevant hoses, or buy a purpose-made dust extractor (which would hold more dust).

Any idea where to fund one, and any recommendations on the brand/size?

Thanks

Mick

Ratmick
17th January 2004, 12:50 AM
..bit of a freudian typo ;-)

Mick

Mick you can edit your own posts by pressing the edit button in the lower right. .

rodm
17th January 2004, 01:09 AM
Hi Mick,
There is heaps of posts on dust extraction on this forum. Do a search on dust extractor or dust extraction and you should find what you are after. Also worth reading is articles on cyclone and mini cyclone. Do searches on these topics so you can view another option.
There are lots of suppliers of dust extractors but for a start Carbatec, Timbecon both have web sites with on line stores. Good place to start looking.
www.timbecon.com.au
www.carbatec.com.au
There are other sites but you have lots to read through before you decide on the best way to go.
The problem with household vacuums is that they fill up/block up too quickly especially with fine MDF dust but something is better than nothing. MDF is a nasty product so you are on the right track to remove the dust from your workshop.

Ratmick
17th January 2004, 01:20 AM
...just left a reply for Joe who was selling one down in Preston last December for $150.

Seemed like a pretty good price, see how I go.

Mick

stephenmeddings
19th January 2004, 11:52 AM
Have the same problem with MDF dust myself, so I got my self a 2HP Hare & Frobes unit from Herless Machinery at the wood show last year for $259 (normally $329?) and also a hose kit for $99 but better off getting the hose kit from Carbatec (more bits).

Melbourne Head Office
2099 Princes Highway,
Clayton VIC 3168
Telephone: (03) 9562 8866
Facsimile: (03) 9562 8329

jshaw
19th January 2004, 02:23 PM
Mick,

I've just had the Veritas cyclone lid delivered from Lee Valley Tools. I went down that route because I didn't think I could afford anything flasher (I've been working on a household vacuum system much like your Vax up to this point) but I was getting mighty sick of emptying the thing out. So what I have now is a 1000W vacuum cleaner providing the suction, connected to the lid with 2.5 inch diam flexible tubing from Carba-tec (bit more expensive than I'd thought that, $12 a metre) and the lid sitting on top of a 75 litre plastic bucket from Magnet Mart. There is probably 2 m tubing on the vacuum side and 6 m on the collection side.

I've given it a decent work out over the weekend and I'm pretty pleased with its ability to collect dust and shavings in the big bin and only a little fine dust in the vacuum cleaner that's providing the suction. If I was still on the old shop vac system I'd have had to empty the bag 3 or 4 times by now so that alone is a vast improvement. As a replacement for the old system I'm pretty pleased. Plenty of suction to clear the dust and shavings and no having to empty the bag every 5 mins. If I had been used to one of those 2 hp things you see at the WWW shows or Wayne Davy's monster cyclone I might have had higher expectations, but this is a major step in the right direction for me. Haveing said that, I'm not sure it would be happy facing up to a jointer or thicknesser!

Cheers,
John