PDA

View Full Version : What saw? Please help me?!

Antonia
25th March 2008, 01:00 PM
I am wanting to buy my partner a compound mitre saw for his birthday, however i have little idea of what saw to get?! :oo:
I have looked at Makita saws.
I would like to spend under $500 just for a basic one as we are planning on getting married in the near future.:2tsup:
Any ideas? Of whats best or where is best to buy in NZ - cheap deals?:?
I am not much of a powertool princess?:p

Scally
25th March 2008, 02:24 PM
Well Antonia you would be close to a princess in most woodies books.

Makita is a good brand and there are a few others that would be just as good.

The type of saw would depend on what he would use it for. Is he a builder, is it for a hobby and does he build tables or small boxes....

Then you get to the hard part. What does he want?
We are a bit funny about tools and have our own preferences. Some like yellow ones others green and some white. Some for good reasons and often from what we are used to using.

Many would suggest you find a good supplier and give him a Gift Voucher. Maybe take him to the shop and hand him the birthday card and the money.
Then he can have the fun of comparing brands, sizes etc.
And he will get what he 'needs' (wants?).

Whatever you do I am sure he will be suitably impressed.

prozac
25th March 2008, 02:46 PM
I would like to spend under $500 just for a basic one as we are planning on getting married in the near future.:2tsup:

So you are getting married huh? Then as Scally suggests it's best to let him choose...if you still intend getting married that is. It's a man thing, oops, it's a craftsman/person thing, but tools are a very personal thing to most people.

Perhaps a gift certificate is not the way to go as it would tie him down to the one shop. Write down the amount in the card, or better still fill it full of folding ones. The more you put in the more he will want to marry you.

prozac

dlim2986
25th March 2008, 09:30 PM
Don't marry him! Marry me!

I am willing to trade in my Wife for a Wife who won't get between her husband and his wood.

I wished my wife would buy me tools or timber.

Sleeping Dog
25th March 2008, 09:46 PM
No..me..me, bugerorf Dlim

Claw Hama
25th March 2008, 09:53 PM
You guys have been suckered this is some kind of joke, this is completely unheard of. She is some fictitious spector or it's some kind of ploy, maybe her partner checks out the forum and shes going for brownie points!! Be careful with this one guys!

dlim2986
25th March 2008, 10:34 PM
I was starting to wonder, could such a thing exist? I must have been a fallacie, women like this don't exist - its all a fragment of our imagination.

SAISAY
26th March 2008, 10:22 AM
When I buy tools I pretend they are for Lee, then he won't complain of the cost and I get to use them :U
Wolffie

prozac
26th March 2008, 11:47 AM
Well Powertool Princess doesn't exist or you ugly buggers have scared her off. She probably thinks you're the 7 dwarfs..hiho hiho ta ta tata ta ta

prozac

Antonia
26th March 2008, 08:01 PM
Still working out this forum thing...
I am obviously a girl:o, so im thinking the big money gift does seem pretty thoughtless, and i am a midwife-so my time off is valuable!:roll:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, still not sure what to do. He is a boat builder by trade, but is a man of alltrades...
It would be rather nice if he could build me exciting things!:p

Antonia
26th March 2008, 08:04 PM
Only close to a princess.... doh~
I thought you guys would all laugh at me for wanting to spend under $500.
Im sure it would look better if i continued with my research on recommendations etc. And then he will think "wow, she is rather special!"

Antonia
26th March 2008, 08:36 PM
Well Antonia you would be close to a princess in most woodies books.

Makita is a good brand and there are a few others that would be just as good.

The type of saw would depend on what he would use it for. Is he a builder, is it for a hobby and does he build tables or small boxes...

He has made me a pretty bookshelf, has made a few tables, and probably a box here and there... :rolleyes: (Yes, he is a gem... You might pick up i am quite fond of him...) :B
I read that the 'compound slide mitre saw?' is quite the step up?
Its really like a foriegn language to me?
And so far all i have from this forum is marriage proposals? :2tsup:
Im getting far! Cheers guys!:D