PDA

View Full Version : My first bowl

corbs
25th March 2008, 10:17 PM
Well team... its been a while in the making but here is my first bowl:D. It is certainly not going to make any galleries come running after me for products but I love it. It doesn't have an even thickness, rather an average thickness:rolleyes: and is a little bottom heavy. Diameter is a bit over 220mm and depth is a bit under 80mm. It has pride of place on our hall table now for the car keys:2tsup:. Let loose on all comments and advice, I am an empty vessel waiting to be filled with knowledge. (Guessing most of you picked up that its Camphor too:wink:)

Corbs

Claw Hama
25th March 2008, 10:31 PM
Good work onward and upward the logs the limit. Camphor comes up a treat, nice paterned side.

TTIT
25th March 2008, 11:51 PM
Ripper work Corbs :2tsup: - I've seen much worse 'firsts' than that one. It won't stay in pride of place for long - number 2, 3, 4 ........ have got to go somewhere!

tea lady
25th March 2008, 11:58 PM
Nice work. I like the flat rim. Gives a nice neat finish. And the slightly inward shaped profile. Grain really well placed. Nothing wrong with that first go.:2tsup:

So where does one get Camphor Laural, seeing its like a weed and stuff?

joe greiner
26th March 2008, 01:21 AM
Looks fine to me, Corbs. And being a tad bottom heavy makes it more stable. My only suggestion for improvement (for the future) is to cut the blanks to expose more of varying grain. In fact, I'm somewhat mystified what part of the log was your source.

Joe

corbs
26th March 2008, 06:49 AM
Thanks for the comments team. Joe I picked up the blank from Monaro Timbers in Fyshwick so cannot comment on how the blank was cut or where sourced from in the log. I have another four half backs drying in the garage at the moment but they are huge and I think would exceed my current lathe/chuck capacity so will probably be resized. Camphor is fun to work with though.

Corbs

benji79
26th March 2008, 08:29 AM
nice work, bet your shed smells nice now as well.

Benji.

oldiephred
26th March 2008, 09:09 AM
Thick in the sides, heavy bottom, sounds like a lot of people I know and they are very nice as is your first effort.

HappyHammer
26th March 2008, 09:26 AM
Nice bowl Corbs, keep 'em coming.:2tsup: Gotta love the smell of Camphor:U

HH.

BernieP
26th March 2008, 11:30 AM
G'Day Corbs

Well done Corbs, always nice to get the first one under the belt.

Cheers
Bernie

Sawdust Maker
26th March 2008, 12:23 PM
Corbs

Very nice first bowl. Keep it to see how much you move on in design etc.

Camphor is great to turn have a number waiting to dry out a bit myself!

So where does one get Camphor Laural, seeing its like a weed and stuff?

Around here there are a number growing in suburbia which get choped down. I got a number of trunk rounds when the mun in law pruned hers last year. If you got on good with a tree surgeon no doubt they'd let you know when one's coming down. If I'm feeling kind could give you a smallish piece:rolleyes:

OGYT
26th March 2008, 12:23 PM
First bowl? Well done, for sure! Nice form on it, and now you gotta watch out... if it's close to the door it might slip away...:D
Welcome to the spinny side of life, Corbs.

artme
26th March 2008, 01:17 PM
Corbs, That is really well done!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Now, do you get the crdit or the trusty Teknatoool TL1200?:p:p

orraloon
26th March 2008, 01:47 PM
Not bad at all for a first. I like camphor for turning. You will soon be stalking tree loppers like the rest of us.

Regards
John

tea lady
26th March 2008, 02:16 PM
Is Camphor Laural grown in Melbourne too. Or is it a warmer climate tree?

orraloon
26th March 2008, 02:27 PM
I think it is found all in all states. It is a weed in this country. Often found along railway lines and in gardens.

ss_11000
26th March 2008, 02:33 PM
very nice work Corbs:clap:. how good is the smell of camphor:D

tea lady
26th March 2008, 02:39 PM
I think it is found all in all states. It is a weed in this country. Often found along railway lines and in gardens.

Oh! Good! (I think) Will get out my gardening book and do a bit of hunting. Just doing my bit for weed eradication.:D

corbs
26th March 2008, 04:32 PM
Again... thanks for the comments team. Artme, the TL1200 just spun it around for me... I will take the credit on this one:D. Tea Lady, it usually isn't very hard to get a hold of and really nice to work with. I have heard that often it doesn't have the nice colour down in Vic though? Now I need to alternate between pens and bowls:rolleyes:.

Corbs