PDA

View Full Version : Basic Beginner Tools

The Magician
18th January 2004, 08:02 AM
Hi all, I am just starting out in woodwork and diy and what i would like to know is can anyone tell me what kind of tools i need as i am only a beginner. Thanks

DarrylF
18th January 2004, 08:34 AM
Depends on what you're trying to achieve - and of course your budget. You'll need different (and far fewer) tools to put up a shelf or finish a raw pine bookshelf than you would if you wanted to build a dining table from scratch :)

The topic has of course been covered here many times - but with more information on your situation I'm sure we can help.

derekcohen
18th January 2004, 11:49 AM
Darryl's right, let us know what yout immediate goal is.

But the question made me think about the first tools I purchased some 20-odd years ago. The aim was to do a little DIY around the house - build bookshelves, general repairs, etc - nothing complicated.

I started with a power drill (with sander attachment), jigsaw, 1/3 sheet sander, and a set of chisels and screwdrivers. The power tools were B+D, and the remainder Stanley. All cheap as chips. They did the job for DIY. The rest is history.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Chris Parker
19th January 2004, 07:56 AM
Here is my attempt at detailing a toolchest for a DIY/ homeowner. I ama woodwork and design teacher and I talk this over with my graduating students.

Parker Tool Chest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am often asked by friends about what tools are essential and what are not. Here is a suggestion of what I would consider a basic and more than adequate home handy man (and woodwork hobbyist) tool chest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a general rule, if I can’t afford to buy a quality hand tool, I will not buy it until I can. It becomes a life long purchase (and longer, I have some of my dad’s tools). A general rule of thumb for quality is to avoid (if you can) buying tools made in Asia (which is getting more difficult) even though made in Europe, North America or Australia can be up to twice or three times the price.

HAND TOOLS

Solid work bench

Woodwork vice

Metalwork vice

Level

Small bench plane

Chalk Line

Tape measure

Set square

Combination square

Stanley knife

Marking gauge