PDA

View Full Version : mortising chisel

sprightlyone
26th March 2008, 02:17 PM
hi
i would like to make contact with some one who has a hands on knowledge of what a mortising chisel can &can`t do i don`t know if this forum has private messenging but i can send contact details to anyone that is interested
i want to try &determine if they will do what i want to do with a minium of fuss
thanks lyle

DJ’s Timber
26th March 2008, 03:39 PM
G'day Lyle

Welcome to the Forum.

Why not tell us what you're trying to achieve and some of the members that have mortisers might be able to let you know if its possible or not. Also I am assuming that you are talking about a electric bench top mortiser not a hand held chisel?

sprightlyone
26th March 2008, 06:38 PM
hi
thanks for the welcome
i have begun making knives &wish to take the drudge out of putting a slot inthe handle
(i`ve been doing this with a drill &tiny file ) the handle starts as a blank 50x25 100 approx i want to slot the end face so i can insert the tang of the knife slot would be 3or4mm x 15 &75 mm deep from the small amount of resarch so far it appears as though a mortising chisel might do the job carbatec have a chisel &universal adapter for a drill press . but i don`t want to outlay if a another custom solution will work
i have just boughta mill /lathe combo for my own entertainment so i am also thinking mill /router type solutions
thanks again lyle