PDA

View Full Version : Richard Raffan

wheelinround
26th March 2008, 05:08 PM
Richard Raffan on radio 702 Sydney turning a Egg cup NOW http://www.abc.net.au/sydney/

RETIRED
26th March 2008, 05:13 PM
Fixed Wheelin.:wink:

wheelinround
26th March 2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks

corbs
26th March 2008, 05:42 PM
Must have been exciting radio.... thunk thunk thunk thunk... (what sound does a skew slicing make:rolleyes:)

wheelinround
26th March 2008, 06:30 PM
Must have been exciting radio.... thunk thunk thunk thunk... (what sound does a skew slicing make:rolleyes:)

It was Corbs Aution was over at 6pm

I was just leaving a Turners club meeting about 3pm and turned on the car radio to hear him being introduced, next came sounds of a roughing gouge Thwack thwack thwack thunk thunk thunk.

We didn't hear the scream when he apparently gouged himself leaving DNA on the work piece he needed first aid.

Richard Glover ABC radio 702 does this sort of thing every year "Made From Scratch"
this years challenge make an Chocolate Easter Egg with icing from raw materials and a Cup to put it in from wood.

They raised $2500 for the Far West Children's Home

corbs
26th March 2008, 06:54 PM
Sounds like a nice concept and a good cause for the proceeds:2tsup:

dlim2986
26th March 2008, 07:06 PM
What I can't understand is they get this great wood turner, quoted as "The best wood turner in the world", and they get him to turn radiata pine!

Thats an outrage! He should of brough in some nice blank from home so the cup ends up being a keeper.

wheelinround
27th March 2008, 09:07 AM
What I can't understand is they get this great wood turner, quoted as "The best wood turner in the world", and they get him to turn radiata pine!

Thats an outrage! He should of brough in some nice blank from home so the cup ends up being a keeper.

:oo: Pine I didn't hear that bit what a waste

dlim2986
27th March 2008, 10:01 PM
The turned bowl that is radiata pine.

What a waste!

Sebastiaan56
28th March 2008, 08:40 AM
This is going to get me into trouble but the poorer the timber the greater the skill to produce something beautiful. I like that piece,

Frank&Earnest
28th March 2008, 10:33 AM
Second that. The problem with pine is that it is too soft and, because it is cheap, it is "common". None of this affects its visual appearance, its grain can be quite appealing and it takes a good finish. And, of course, the quality of design has nothing to do with the timber used.

This said, that oversized egg cup does not do it for me.