PDA

View Full Version : Seeking immediate help to turn a few things for a hurdy-gurdy

Mooshalah
26th March 2008, 09:40 PM
Hi. This is in fact my first post on the Woodwork Forum (although I've been a member for a while), and it's a plea for assistance!
I'm making a hurdy-gurdy, but have no lathe. I'm at the stage where I can proceed no further until I make the wooden wheel and associated metal bits, and a few wooden knobs.
I've prepared all the blanks (Laminated wheel, built-up veneer blocks for small strap-holding knobs, and handle for the crank), but don't know where to find someone nearby with a lathe. (I live in Emerald, near Melbourne). The wheel will be 190mm in diameter, while the knobs are around 20 - 30mm in diameter - so a small, accurate lathe ought to do the trick.
Is there anyone who can help me in this regard - either within the next few days, or over the coming weekend?
Kind regards,
Frank.

DJ’s Timber
26th March 2008, 09:45 PM
I'm up in East Warburton and could do them tomorrow morning or Friday for you.

nev25
26th March 2008, 09:56 PM
Welcome Frank

Sorry cannot help you but would love to see pics of your Hurdy Gurdy
Are you making from plans??

Mooshalah
28th March 2008, 12:18 PM
Hi DJ.
Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday. Internet (TPG) was down.
Thanks for the offer, but someone with knowledge of the Knox and District Woodworkers Club dropped by yesterday, and I'm going to try today to kill two birds with one stone (or is this three?); become a member, visit their clubrooms and workshop, and have the turning done - maybe even try and do it myself!
Thanks again for your kind offer.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th March 2008, 06:52 PM
It sounds like a plan. :) Please do show pictures of the hurdy as work progresses. it appears to be an interesting project.

Oh... and I'm in Croydon if you need to borrow some lathe time. I'm pretty sure there's an idle lathe or two sitting in my shed. :innocent:

ss_11000
30th March 2008, 09:41 PM
. I'm pretty sure there's an idle lathe or two sitting in my shed. :innocent:
got a spare VL300 i can 'borrow'????:D