PDA

View Full Version : For those of you on dial-up....

Ben from Vic.
18th January 2004, 04:47 PM
With the amount of times I read 'keeping the files/pictures small for those on 56K' I thought I'd post this....

This isn't meant to be a sales pitch or anything like that, but I wanted to inform those of you using dial-up modems that ADSL internet connections have become a lot cheaper in the last 6 months, and it's now possible to get 5 times the download speed (256/64) and a 1 Gig limit, for something like $40 a month.

I'll keep it short cause this post was meant to be helpfull, not advertising.

Anyone wanting more info, can send me a PM.

Ben.

echnidna
18th January 2004, 08:06 PM
Sounds real good but what can you do for those of us who live so far out in the sticks that we suffer decrepit phone lines courtesy of telstra that can't handle ADSL.

It would be wonderful if a 56k modem could even get up to a reasonable speed.

RETIRED
18th January 2004, 09:09 PM
Unfortunately I have the same prob.

We have friends that live in Narrandera in central NSW and THEY can get adsl. We live 60 K from Melb and are lucky to even get out some times.

Ben from Vic.
18th January 2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by echnidna
Sounds real good but what can you do for those of us who live so far out in the sticks that we suffer decrepit phone lines courtesy of telstra that can't handle ADSL.

It would be wonderful if a 56k modem could even get up to a reasonable speed.

In this instance you can get 56K modems that are designed to help out and give a "better" signal so your chances of getting full speed 56K would be increased, however they are more expensive than your normal dialup modem.

Ben

Ben from Vic.
18th January 2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by
Unfortunately I have the same prob.

We have friends that live in Narrandera in central NSW and THEY can get adsl. We live 60 K from Melb and are lucky to even get out some times.

Try looking on www.whirlpool.net.au in the Broadband Choice section and do a search for wireless ISP's. They should probably reach you down there.

Ben

Kev Y.
18th January 2004, 09:45 PM
Bugger me , what more do you want??? Months spent traveling around australia AND broadband internet!!!! next you will be asking for a wood working polish that works !!!!

:p :)

Kev

RETIRED
18th January 2004, 10:22 PM
:D

Barry_White
26th January 2004, 09:39 PM
Hi Everyone living in the sticks.

Telstra will put ISDN on that will give you true 64K and up to 128K. The only thing is the cost is a bit dearer than normal dial up but it sure beats running at 24k on a normal dial line.

I'm pretty pleased with it and no dial up charges.

I live 18klms from a tiny little bush exchange which is 40 klms from the next largest town.

See http://www.bigpond.com/internet-plans/isdn/