PDA

View Full Version : Help with fixing a Dremel

springwater
26th March 2008, 10:30 PM
Does anyone know where I can get my Dremel fixed around Melbourne. What's wrong with it? When I switch it on it doesn't go.:no: That's about as much as I know.:doh:

weisyboy
26th March 2008, 10:32 PM
mine recently did the same thing.

just stoped and wouldnt go anymore.

i chucked it and baught one of the $20 ones form dick smiths and i have found it better than the dremmel.

scooter
26th March 2008, 10:38 PM
Not positive but I think Bosch own Dremel.

Maybe contact an authorised service centre for Bosch & see what you can find out.

Cheers.......................Sean

springwater
26th March 2008, 11:02 PM
mine recently did the same thing.

just stoped and wouldnt go anymore.

i chucked it and baught one of the $20 ones form dick smiths and i have found it better than the dremmel.

Thanks weisy, $20 that's amazing, how long have you had it? Get much use? Take same bits as Dremel?

Maybe contact an authorised service centre for Bosch & see what you can find out.

Thanks scooter, that could be convienient because I've recently had a power tool melt down: Bosch Random Orbital, Bosch Angel Grinder, AEG hand drill and the Dremel gave up the ghost within a week which included the 4 days over Easter.

springwater
26th March 2008, 11:09 PM
ah and also Bosch Cordless goes well but battery one has hardly any guts, battery two better but going the same way, can batteries be replaced or is that it for the whole tool?

scooter
26th March 2008, 11:27 PM
I bought a rotary tool from Aldi a couple of years ago that has turned out to be a beut.

Gets used about once a month I guess for different jobs, came in a case with a flexible shaft, assortment of bits & accessories.

Can't remember the price but it was cheap.

The ozito one at Bunnings (where I work) looks like the very same unit with a different badge, so would be a good choice IMO.

joe greiner
27th March 2008, 01:31 AM

Correct. Bosch now owns Dremel, and has for a few years IIRC. If you know what's wrong, spare parts aren't too dear, and available by telephone in Oosa; dunno about Oz. But if you don't know what's wrong, or direct shipment to Oz isn't available, the Bosch service centre would be best.

There are several clones in market, though, and most accept the same bits as Dremel. Might be easier or cheaper than repair, especially if quality isn't a major consideration.

Joe

weisyboy
27th March 2008, 08:53 AM
it gose well it gets used everyday and pushed pretty hard.

it came in a carry case with a flexy cable and some bits takes the same bits as the dremmel.

i recomend it.

Quasimodo
27th March 2008, 04:48 PM
My Dremel failed when I was using cutoff wheels to open up oil filters to compare their build quality - that's an eye opening story in itself.

My model at least uses a splined plastic sleeve to connect the output shaft and the motor - they deteriorate, possibly from ozone, and crumble. It is " Flex Coupling 2615294309"

See:

http://www.mytoolstore.com.au/dremel-2615294309-flex-coupling-p-353.html

The part was about $10 I think from any decent power tool shop - if they don't have it they can order it in. You also need the right bit to fit the case screws - available in a set from Jaycar or Dick Smith.

Could also be the brushes - not expensive either.

When i bought my Dremel, there was no clones to be had and I paid quite a lot for it and the accessories - as the other posters have noted, nowadays it may be cheaper to replace than try to repair.

I almost forgot to add losing so many reasonably good quality tools in such a short time gives rise to the possibility there is some power supply problem going on in your house which you should maybe look into - possibly low voltage or similar.

springwater
27th March 2008, 08:50 PM
My Dremel failed when I was using cutoff wheels to open up oil filters to compare their build quality - that's an eye opening story in itself.

My model at least uses a splined plastic sleeve to connect the output shaft and the motor - they deteriorate, possibly from ozone, and crumble. It is " Flex Coupling 2615294309"

See:

http://www.mytoolstore.com.au/dremel-2615294309-flex-coupling-p-353.html

The part was about $10 I think from any decent power tool shop - if they don't have it they can order it in. You also need the right bit to fit the case screws - available in a set from Jaycar or Dick Smith.

Could also be the brushes - not expensive either.

When i bought my Dremel, there was no clones to be had and I paid quite a lot for it and the accessories - as the other posters have noted, nowadays it may be cheaper to replace than try to repair.

I almost forgot to add losing so many reasonably good quality tools in such a short time gives rise to the possibility there is some power supply problem going on in your house which you should maybe look into - possibly low voltage or similar.

Thanks for the info everyone.

I have noticed fluctuations in power supply within my shed which is about 50m away from the house. I didn't and couldn't wire it up and it may have been done unprofessionally.

I have limited electrical knowledge but have suspected the brushes as in the tool's last gasps it sought of felt like it was losing contact with power if you know what I mean. It then got very hot so I unplugged it and let it cool down. I haven't switched it on since.

I think I have found a place where I can get it seen to but am worried by your comment regarding low voltage as I have experienced my tools slowing down, then speeding up at times. I live in a town that has a steel mill quite close that would use huge amonts of electricity going by the amount of heavy duty overhead wires going into it. Is there anyway of monitoring or guaging fluctuations in voltage coming into our house or within?

Quasimodo
29th March 2008, 02:38 PM
My neighbour who lives down a long easment had electrical appliances burning out regularly and complained to the power supply company - they came out and put a data logger up the pole and clipped it onto the power lines for a week to monitor the supply voltage - if it was low they were going to install another transformer or similar - turns out it was inadequately-sized wiring up the easement to his house so it was his problem.

Maybe one of those new power usage meters you can get from Jaycar (CAT. NO. MS6115) and plug into your power point would monitor the voltage. Not sure though so probably wise to get an electrician in to check things out before something worse happens.

Back to the Dremel, my instructions for 276 & 396 models, say to replace the brushes if they are less that 1/8 inch long. They are under the black screw caps on the side of the tool. See:

http://www.mytoolstore.com.au/carbon-brush-model-2615298790-p-354.html

Frank&Earnest
29th March 2008, 04:34 PM
Hi guys, my 2 cents:

-open it up and have a look. If it's worn out brushes they are easy to replace.

- if it went hot there is a possibility that one of the soldered connections gave up. This is also easy to see (loose wire hanging out) and easy/ish to fix but needs to be done otherwise the motor might work for a little while then burn down completely. If it is all black, bin it.

- the coincidence over Easter makes it indeed look like a power surge could have cooked them (not a power low, that would mostly result in motors being sluggish or not running at all) above their tolerance, say 260V. Given that many more countries run 220V than 240V, I have a gut feeling that when they say (or do without saying) 220/240V the tolerance is skewed towards the 220.

- if you are subject to power fluctuations and want to know, just buy from Dick Smith/Tandy a cheap multimeter and swear black and blue at your supplier when it is > 10% plus or minus, especially plus, because to the injury to your tools is added the insult of charging you more for pumping more juice. It won't do any good, but at least you had the satisfaction.:D

I forgot: of course it could be something mundane like the switch not working (also easy to check with a multimeter). Sometimes if the contacts are visible it is sufficient to give them a cleaning with fine sandpaper.

springwater
31st March 2008, 08:45 PM
Thanks Quasimodo and F&E, sorry for the late response, all tools are at the doctors as I speak. Strange in that when the 30 year old AEG hand drill was shown to the doctor he said he hadn't seen one for a long time and four arrived in the same week. He seemed confident that it would pull through as it's a well built tool. I envy both of your electrical etc knowledge, thanks for sharing it but I think I'll leave the electrical diagnosis to the experts.