PDA

View Full Version : Endgrain wax

mick61
27th March 2008, 08:11 PM
G`day what wax do you fellas use in your mix for dipping blanks into.
Thanks Mick:D

DJ’s Timber
27th March 2008, 09:11 PM
Paraffin wax

thefixer
27th March 2008, 09:14 PM
G'day Mick
I assume you mean to seal the end grain while the timber dries.
I use styrofoam dissolved in paint thinner. But only coz I can get the raw material for nix.:rolleyes:

cheers
Shorty

dlim2986
27th March 2008, 09:51 PM
I use cheap candles from the supermarket. Is that paraffin wax?

DJ’s Timber
27th March 2008, 09:56 PM
I use cheap candles from the supermarket. Is that paraffin wax?

Pretty much yes, there is a blend off different types but paraffin makes up the bulk of it.

OGYT
28th March 2008, 03:15 PM
I use Anchor Seal. I used the last of 10 gallons yesterday, so I ordered two more 5-gallon buckets of it. Shipping and all was $132 US. The previous 10 gal lasted 3 years. The two bowls I rough-turned today will pay for it, when they're finished. (Hopefully... least that's what I told Her Majesty... :D )

littlebuddha
29th March 2008, 06:24 AM
When there are sales and stuff going cheap i get big candles and melt them down in an deep fat fryer the fryers are cheap enough these days, just make sure if you use wax that you hold the wood in for a min so as to penertrate the wood genrally it will dry clear if its white then it will not do much for the wood seal. you could also use paint, old gloss latex paint this will all help to stop drying out to quick, if you can keep your logs in as big a lengh as pos you will lose less, the way to look at it is if you got it for free whats to lose. I save stuff from small branches to stuff that strains my:; well its heavy. if you want it to dry quicker then cut or plank it, drying for wood is about 1" per year dependant on what wood but in the main.
There are many comercial stuff but why pay out loads of money, and it does not always work, i have stuffi have painted and given a couple of coats over a couple of days and it has dry great over time. i have also used wax and found rotted wood after a couple of years. What a lot of waffle, cheers LB.
http://shapewood.co.uk

mick61
29th March 2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks fellas.
Mick:D

Cliff Rogers
29th March 2008, 01:56 PM
I got a 20litre drum of Log End Sealer.
You can buy it a fuel/oil distributor depots.
I poured it off into smaller airtight containers, as full as possible & store it in a cool dark place.

rowie
30th March 2008, 04:24 AM
parrafin wax

hughie
30th March 2008, 02:12 PM
I picked up 10L of el cheapo acrylic wall paint and mixed a litre of PVA glue used to glue paper. So far its holding up well.

Used to use styrefoam and turps, but lately Bunnies turps wont melt the darn stuff. :~ I guess they have been messing with the turps recipe

La truciolara
30th March 2008, 06:39 PM
As paraffin wax is very expensive here, anchor seal even more, we tend to use a very cheep vinyl glue. (the standard white wood glue). While dry it become transparent which helps recognise the type of wood which is below the glue just like with paraffin

groverwa
1st April 2008, 11:40 AM
hughie - maybe some people have been drinking the contents and replacing it with something else:D:D

I am using a PVA glue type substance given to me by a bloke who turns large and extremely large vases. Smells bldy revolting once the lid is off but works well. The "glue" apparently is the stuff they paint onto tile roofs to seal them prior to spray painting them

endgrain
1st April 2008, 04:08 PM
if all else fails do some research on "lutes" .... (menstruum mixed in solids)
the "marines glues" may help
1: rosin (8 parts), wax (1 part) & turpentine (1 part) ... suggest stimsons in balmain or sim. for supply
the addition of sulphur (1 part) can increase hardness but is pretty brittle