PDA

View Full Version : World Wide Power Off

Pages : [1] 2

astrid
27th March 2008, 08:14 PM
My 14 YO girlchild asked me to tell all you ALL to remember.
So this is from Lauren

Ok guys this is a letter started by me! Lauren!

Just read this and copy this message into other letters and send to other people.

WORLDWIDE BLACKOUT
on saturday 29th there will be a turn off power all over the world from 8 pm to 9pm only one hour
TURN OFF EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO POWER, NO ELECTRICITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REMEMBER THIS SATURDAY NO POWER

THE ICECAPS ARE MELTING!!!!!!

we will drown

all is doomed DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but seriously this is something interesting to do apparently a huge chunk of ice, the size of a city. broke off the icecaps more are to follow
email your friends to let them know

from Lauren

Bye

Blocklayer
27th March 2008, 08:26 PM
I don't have to do the 'Turn off the power for an hour' thing to save the world. The power company (Ergon) does it for me automatically. Usually at least once a week for at least an hour each time, and sometimes they just do it in 10 - 20 minute outages, 6 or so times a day, so you don't notice as much.
If only the rest of you would wake up to yourselves and use Ergon, there's no way the ice caps would melt! .

DavidG
27th March 2008, 09:04 PM
Think of the poor electricity generators.

They have sufficient units on-line to meet the demand.

Everyone turns off, greatly reducing the demand causing a voltage surge in the power grid.

The suppliers reduce the generating capacity to match the load.

Everyone turns back on creating a demand peak.
The voltage falls as the suppliers struggle to cope, possible brownouts.

What a load of ......... :no:

Just reduce your standing load by being a little more energy efficient all the time.

echnidna
27th March 2008, 09:20 PM
that won't happen, the surplus electricity pumps the hydro electric water back up into the feeder dams so the enegy will still be there when its needed

Wongo
27th March 2008, 09:51 PM
Great idea but why limit it to only one night. I do it everyday.

Lighting in my house is kept to minimum all the time. I switch power off the microwave, TV, DVD and stereo every night before going to bed.

DO TRY.

Wood Borer
27th March 2008, 10:00 PM
Astrid,

I highly commend your thoughts and suggestion.

Like most others in the bush, we don't wholly depend on the power and subsequently regularly don't know if there is a blackout for a few hours apart from noticing the electronic clocks flashing.

Waldo
27th March 2008, 10:15 PM
Like Wongo, right now there's only 1 light on in the whole house, the TV turned on and my Mac. (we only have turned on what we need on)

I won't be doing anything differently as to what I always do.

But I don't get this whole thing, :? the fossils etc. have already been burned etc. to turn the turbines so what's been done has been done - the power has been generated and if I don't use it the bloke next door or across town will use it - it's already been generated so :shrug: It's like when they had that farce on TV last year about how to cut emissions etc. on Ch 10. They said to drink less milk so that the cows make less methane. The milks already on the shelves at Coles! :?

Not denying global warming etc., but I think this whole thing of turning a light out is a little hard to believe. Flame me, tar me or throw a :brick: at me but I think some elments of this Global warming have been hijacked by the lefties.

No offence to your daughter at all Astrid. :no: :U

Always only had turned on what I need no more. :2tsup:

astrid
27th March 2008, 10:29 PM
accept the message in the spirit it was given.
no need to crush 14yo idealism.
The world will soon do it for you.

Astrid

ian
27th March 2008, 10:31 PM
WORLDWIDE BLACKOUT
on saturday 29th there will be a turn off power all over the world from 8 pm to 9pm only one hour

NO POWER, NO ELECTRICITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REMEMBER THIS SATURDAY NO POWER

THE ICECAPS ARE MELTING!!!!!!

we will drown

all is doomed DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lauren

personally I think "earth hour" is a complete and utter farce

it will have absolutely ZERO impact, I wouldn't mind betting that it's overall impact will be NEGATIVE

if you're on wind power, turning the lights off will have ZILCH impact
if you're on nuclear power (much of Japan and Europe), again ZILCH
if you're on hydro (well it takes at 10–15 minutes to get a hydro generator up to speed and about the same time to turn if it off so you might "save" about 30 mins of water which would probably spill over the dam anyway, so again ZILCH
if you're coal fired, like most of Australia, given it takes something like 16 hours to turn a coal generating plant off and up to 36 hours to restart it the operators will leave it running flat out.
AND all those candles that will make people feel warm and fizzy will just add to the CO2 load
and I haven't even started ranting

ian

Groggy
27th March 2008, 10:36 PM
The power off is only about awareness of the issue, it is not intended to have any physical effect. Also, we need idealists as much as we need pragmatists, probably more.

Stick to your guns Lauren :2tsup:

Burnsy
27th March 2008, 10:43 PM
:2tsup: for your enthusiasm Lauren but don't stop with this. Read carefully what others have written, consider the responses and take the messages back to school and suggest to you teacher that maybe it would be a great subject for some further research and debate.

I think you will find that those who treat electrical appliances like Wongo has suggested probably achieve far more than people give them recognition for. Along this line, I think you will be surprised how much action a debate to this end will cause amoungst your classmates. Exploring and researching a subject like this to an end often causes people to act more responsibly without even realising it.

Keep up the crusade,
Mike

ian
27th March 2008, 10:52 PM

AstridAstrid

I applaud the idealism

I just wish it were directed towards something of substance rather than empty gestures

ian

astrid
27th March 2008, 10:52 PM
The power off is only about awareness of the issue, it is not intended to have any physical effect. Also, we need idealists as much as we need pragmatists, probably more.

Stick to your guns Lauren :2tsup:

Thank you Groggy,
some of have our brains switched on:rolleyes:

Astrid

Wongo
27th March 2008, 10:54 PM
I certainly didn’t intent to discourage little Lauren. What she tries to do is good and it shows she has a good heart and she cares.

BUT

She needs to take it to the next step. Put what she believes into practise.

Try this

Have showers for no longer than 10 minutes
Turn the lights off when not needed
Turn the computer off at night
Turn the hifi off at night
Try not to use hair dryer
Use iPod less
Use mobile phone less
Etc

My 2 girls are 6 and 2 and they are well trained. :2tsup:

Waldo
27th March 2008, 10:54 PM

Astrid

Astrid, I wasn't posting with that in mind, as I wrote. It's good that kids are aware of things. I agree with what Ian wrote and so too to what Groggy wrote. :2tsup: But I think people are being led to believe it will make a difference :no:, to raise awareness - then that's good, :yes:

Stuart
27th March 2008, 11:01 PM
I love it: we had an email recently from the Union at the university encouraging people to get involved, and berating the university itself for not being more proactive about it (any stick to beat the mean university administration). They quoted a figure from last year's power out in Sydney, where apparently the hour of lights out, if continued for a year, would save something like the emissions from 48000 cars for a year.

Of course, if Sydney actually turned out their lights for an entire year, that might be worthwhile. On the other hand, if you take the greenhouse gas emissions saved in that hour, that equates to a whole 5 cars. (I can't remember the exact figures, but these are close)

Sorry, but I see it as a pretty fruitless gesture.

If all that lighting equates to such a few vehicles, perhaps they'd be better targeting something worthwhile (like vehicles). (Same thing applies to changing everyone's lightbulbs to the more expensive, less versatile power savers. I use them where appropriate, but they don't suit all my lighting requirements. Bureaucracy gone mad).

Don't get me started on plastic bags. How much worse the actual packaging of the items I carry home in those bags. And just ensure they are bio-degradable - I had one in my backyard, and it was breaking down very quickly, so where is the problem.

(And yes - it is BIO-degradable, not just degradable like so many people mistakenly call it - many many things are degradable, but we want the right mechanism (ie breaking down in the environment). I can degrade a plastic bag quite successfully with fire, and that means it is also degradable, but doesn't mean it will break down in the trash!)

I'm not against environmental initiatives, I've put a few into place myself at work, that have been picked up by the whole university, but put the effort into something that will actually achieve a decent outcome. I'm not intending to step on idealism, but the same effort more directed could have significantly more impact for no additional effort.

Lignum
27th March 2008, 11:01 PM
WORLDWIDE BLACKOUT

And miss St Kilda spank Carltank... Dont think so:rolleyes:

nev25
27th March 2008, 11:07 PM
If I can open up a can of worms

It has been suggested that this whole global warming thing is a farce
The earth has natural progressions
the ice age
the stone age
now this heating up of the earth
In a decade or so things will swing the other way

Not necessary my opinion but I thought I would mention it

Wood Borer
27th March 2008, 11:07 PM
I'm sorry but I don't understand the messages about it won't save energy:?

When I studied Electronic/Electrical Engineering there were laws about the conservation of energy. Energy in = Energy out.

Apart from the inefficiencies of the power stations, where do you think the difference in energy goes - up the smoke stacks?

Numbers about firing up coal stations etc - are those opposing the action suggesting that the amount of coal burnt in a power station is identical when there is less load on the generators as when there is when there is a full load?

People who are soley committed to their share prices without any scientific background or concern about the future of our planet can hardly expect their personal greed and selfish ideas to be taken seriously in this argument. We want sound scientific arguments, not ignorant right wing political backslapping.

Burnsy
27th March 2008, 11:09 PM

The global cycle is a little longer than a decade, 10,000 years might see a difference.

Wongo
27th March 2008, 11:11 PM
If I can open up a can of worms

It has been suggested that this whole global warming thing is a farce
The earth has natural progressions
the ice age
the stone age
now this heating up of the earth

Not necessary my opinion but I thought I would mention it

Well you still should try to save energy regardless. Electricitys got to come from something else.

Burnsy
27th March 2008, 11:13 PM
Well you still should try to save energy regardless. Electricitys got to come from something else.:brava

Waldo
27th March 2008, 11:15 PM
I wonder what energy has been spent with this thread running given we've had 24 replies and 10 members viewing it?

A bit of of a paradox isn't it?

Then there's the TVCs, p/ads to advertise it - the ink used to print the newspaper, the trees cut down to make the pulp... it's like a snowball racing down the mountain.

:think:

ss_11000
27th March 2008, 11:17 PM
Try this

Have showers for no longer than 10 minutes
Turn the lights off when not needed
Turn the computer off at night
Turn the hifi off at night
Try not to use hair dryer
Use iPod less
Use mobile phone less
Etc

if i do all this: does that i mean i will save enough money off the power bill to buy a jet or two:?:p:cool:

seriously...i need to cut down on my electricity uses. like right now, i could turn off my light because i dont need to read the keys when i'm typing:rolleyes:

Burnsy
27th March 2008, 11:18 PM
I wonder what energy has been spent with this thread running given we've had 24 replies and 10 members viewing it?

A bit of of a paradox isn't it?
Not if it caused one person to think about the unrequired lights or TV's that were currently on in their home and they got up and turned them off. After all we were here on the forum already, we did not log on to look for this thread.

Wongo
27th March 2008, 11:26 PM
if i do all this: does that i mean i will save enough money off the power bill to buy a jet or two:?:p:cool:

seriously...i need to cut down on my electricity uses. like right now, i could turn off my light because i dont need to read the keys when i'm typing:rolleyes:

Son what am I trying to tell you here.

Don't use more than you need to

NOT

Don't use at all.

astrid
27th March 2008, 11:26 PM
Sorry, but I see it as a pretty fruitless gesture.

If all that lighting equates to such a few vehicles, perhaps they'd be better targeting something worthwhile (like vehicles). (Same thing applies to changing everyone's lightbulbs to the more expensive, less versatile power savers. I use them where appropriate, but they don't suit all my lighting requirements. Bureaucracy gone mad).

I'm not intending to step on idealism, but the same effort more directed could have significantly more impact for no additional effort.

Refer to groggys post.

Astrid

Waldo
27th March 2008, 11:31 PM
:aro-u:

So, okay we're aware of it now.

Can I have my lights on now? Should go see the neighbour across the fence, he's out there right now working in the garden with all his flood lights on it in the whole yard, like he does every night all night (weird bloke that bloke, a bit :screwy: and see if he's happy for me to run the thicknesser or 10HB on saturday night. :D

I'm quite harmless really. :U

ss_11000
27th March 2008, 11:42 PM
Son what am I trying to tell you here.

Don't use more than you need to

NOT

Don't use at all.
of course.:2tsup:

Wongo
27th March 2008, 11:47 PM
Thats my boy:D

astrid
27th March 2008, 11:49 PM
:aro-u:

Should go see the neighbour across the fence, he's out there right now working in the garden with all his flood lights on it in the whole yard, like he does every night all night
I'm quite harmless really. :U

Have you been watching "rear window" again?
Astrid:D

Stuart
28th March 2008, 12:16 AM
Refer to groggys post.

Astrid
We both wrote at the same time - mine just took me longer to type.

Waldo
28th March 2008, 12:22 AM
I'm turning off Mac now, the lounge light turned off automatically. Neighbour's place is lit up like a Christmas tree.

:yawn:

G'night.

Lignum
28th March 2008, 12:56 AM
I`ll do my bit and turn the hot tub off for an hour

wheelinround
28th March 2008, 07:03 AM
Lauren & Astrid :2tsup:

Its a top idea but the ones who use power the most are business, large corporations & Government & councils look at any City or major town at night.

Office blocks a blaze with neon signs, office lighting on when no-one is there. Shops with electrical gear such as TV's sound systems running 24/7. Schools demanding airconditioning & heating, banks of class room computers. :doh:

Where as we spend approx 7 out of 24 hours at home using appliances. The biggest general home power supply usage comes from Washing machines, Fridges, Dish washers, stoves.

Walk around the school look at wasted power there and ask why??????

nev25
28th March 2008, 08:10 AM
I realize Lauren is only 14
But I'm confused as to what is trying to be achieved

wheelinround
28th March 2008, 08:17 AM
I realize Lauren is only 14
But I'm confused as to what is trying to be achieved

Electrical heat reduction :2tsup:

Gra
28th March 2008, 08:20 AM
Nev,

The idea is that the developed world reduces the amount of electricity used for 1 hour, to reduce the amount of greenhouse gasses released in making the electricity

Lignum
28th March 2008, 08:39 AM
Last weeks promotion was good. A 32-metre light globe-shaped hotair balloon burned so much gas and emitted so much carbon dioxide - that its estimated to be the equilavent of turning off 10,000 light bulbs

Chumley
28th March 2008, 08:54 AM
What I can't figure out is the scary idea that with global warming the sea level will rise and everyone who lives near the coast (sorry SilentC) will have to grow web feet.

Water is the opposite of most things in terms of expansion/contraction and cooling/heating. How many of us filled a plastic bottle with water and put the lid on before chucking it in the freezer - only to find that when it froze the bottle burst. Water that freezes takes up more space as ice. So if you put ice cubes in a glass and fill the glass with a drink when the ice melts the drink doesn't overflow.

As ice melts it takes up less space, so why wouldn't you think sea levels would fall...

Curiously,
Adam

silentC
28th March 2008, 09:01 AM
The answer to that is that a huge volume of the water held in ice is currently ABOVE sea level (glacial ice for one) and when it melts, it will flow into the sea.

I'm not sure about icebergs/ice shelves though. Take an iceberg - 1/10 of the volume is above water and 9/10 below. If you melt the ice, will the 1/10 above simply cancel out the contraction of the 9/10 below?

silentC
28th March 2008, 09:06 AM
Here you go: http://www.physorg.com/news5619.html

silentC
28th March 2008, 09:10 AM
And this from Wikipedia, referenced from a scientific paper:

If small glaciers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glacier) and polar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_region) ice caps on the margins of Greenland and the Antarctic Peninsula (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic_Peninsula) melt, the projected rise in sea level will be around 0.5 m. Melting of the Greenland ice sheet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland_ice_sheet) would produce 7.2 m of sea-level rise, and melting of the Antarctic ice sheet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic_ice_sheet) would produce 61.1 m of sea level rise.<sup id="cite_ref-412.htmtab113_2-0" class="reference">[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_level_rise#cite_note-412.htmtab113-2)</sup> The collapse of the grounded interior reservoir of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Antarctic_Ice_Sheet) would raise sea level by 5-6 m.

silentC
28th March 2008, 09:11 AM
If the Antarctic Ice Sheet melts, I'm moving to a seaside suburb in Canberra.

Otherwise, we're OK.

Chumley
28th March 2008, 09:35 AM
The answer to that is that a huge volume of the water held in ice is currently ABOVE sea level (glacial ice for one) and when it melts, it will flow into the sea.

I'm not sure about icebergs/ice shelves though. Take an iceberg - 1/10 of the volume is above water and 9/10 below. If you melt the ice, will the 1/10 above simply cancel out the contraction of the 9/10 below?

Doesn't matter what the science is, if you melt ice cubes in a glass of drink the drink level drops. Ice cubes will float with the same proportion of ice above water as icebergs. The only way you could explain sea level rise is if ice on land melts - but the Arctic has no land. So who knows.

You'd be welcome in Canberra - don't forget your picture for my wall!

Cheers,
Adam

Incoming!
28th March 2008, 09:36 AM
I've already signed up as a charter member for the Barton Surf Club

Chumley
28th March 2008, 09:39 AM
Here you go: http://www.physorg.com/news5619.html

Ah. Got it, and it makes sense (even scarier than the global warming (consipiracy) theory).

Now all I need is proof that we did actually land on the moon!

Thanks,
Adam

silentC
28th March 2008, 09:44 AM
Ice cubes will float with the same proportion of ice above water as icebergs.
According to that link I posted, the difference in density between salt water (the ocean) and fresh water (the iceberg/ice shelf) would result in a slight sea level rise because the fresh water takes up slightly less volume than the same amount of salt water. Apparently it is dismissed as negligible. But the sea level certainly wont fall.

The only way you could explain sea level rise is if ice on land melts - but the Arctic has no land. So who knows.
According to Wikipedia, glacial ice is the second largest reservoir of water on the planet. So there's a lot of water up there and it would certainly increase the sea level if it all melts at once. The Arctic might not have any land-bound ice but Antartica has a bit:

About 98% of Antarctica is covered by the Antarctic ice sheet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic_ice_sheet), a sheet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_sheet) of ice averaging at least 1.6 kilometers (1.0 mi) thick. The continent has about 90% of the world's ice (and thereby about 70% of the world's fresh water (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresh_water)). If all of this ice were melted, sea levels would rise about 60 meters (200 ft).

silentC
28th March 2008, 09:49 AM
It's actually quite staggering to read about. Antarctica holds about 27 million cubic kilometres of ice. In some places, it rests on land above sea level, and in others it can extend 2,500 metres down to what would be sea bed if the ice wasn't there.

That is a lot of ice!

madrat
28th March 2008, 10:44 AM
Astrid, I admire your daughter for being passionate about something.

Without opening up a new can of worms, it's like all the vegans, vegetarians, animal lovers that want to do some good because it's what they believe in, and that's something that this world needs more of.

Who knows, it may or may not help the universe in the long run, but the fact that she believes in something good and wants people to try, is admirable.

It's nice to see that there are still teens out there who are 'innocent' and believe in something worthwhile.

My hat's off to you Lauren...well done.:clap3:

Waldo
28th March 2008, 11:01 AM
Nev,

The idea is that the developed world reduces the amount of electricity used for 1 hour, to reduce the amount of greenhouse gasses released in making the electricity

Yeah, but I want to also pick up on a point that Rob also made and raise a question. Whatever the power generator is and it's source fuel, be it nuclear, water or coal - don't these power plants generate enough for their expected load, i.e. power consumption of the population?

So turning a light off won't do anything as the power has been already been generated for that load ahead of time. :? And I can't see some boffins in white coats predicting Saturday's light off thingo and reducing consumption for the new load. think back to Victoria's gas shortage a few years ago and the time delay in getting supply back up to demand - it took a few days didn't it? (I was living in NSW at the time, so I'll stand corrected on the time it took to get supplies back up)

:no:

Nice idea, but when you think about it, but I think the whole idea is misdirected just so we can have a nice warm fuzzy feeling without having actually achieved anything.

It is :yes: but what it will really achieve :shrug: (not Lauren, but the lights off business)

astrid
28th March 2008, 05:06 PM
Nice idea, but when you think about it, but I think the whole idea is misdirected just so we can have a nice warm fuzzy feeling without having actually achieved anything.)

So whats wrong with feeling warm and fuzzy for an couple of hours after you see the satelite photos, and thinking "i was part of that"

beats feeling happy for 1 hour after spending money that you dont have at a shopping centre.

What would it really cost you to turn off the lights for one hour.
also might teach the powers that we're not quite the indifferent, world weary sheep that they think we are.

Think about the fear you can help instill at Halleburton:D

Astrid:D

Christopha
28th March 2008, 05:11 PM
I refuse to be left in the dark but I will turn off my lights tomorrow night.... instead, as an alternative light source I have purchased 200 litres of Diesel which I am going to use to incinerate the next door neighbours house. It is only asbestos sheet anyway and the prortion of CCA treated timber isn't tooo much. This should be good for the inviringment too as they always have their music up too loud as well also.

;)

Christopha
28th March 2008, 05:12 PM
Astrids kid, you are a good example, go for it!

Groggy
28th March 2008, 06:32 PM
I'll admit that originally my response to the 'earth hour' was the same as everyone else's here. I wondered what the heck they hoped to achieve and thought of a few alternatives straight away that would have greater effect.

Then, as luck would have it, there was an interview on tele with one of the organisers of the day which I actually sat and listened to, as I was curious. This person was having trouble convincing the reporter that it was not about saving energy or reducing greenhouse or any other physical effect, it was simply about raising awareness and concern, to educate the public that things needed to be done so that they would not resist efforts by Governments or others to solve the problem (the reporter still wanted to say how many black balloons were saved :doh: ).

Anyway, at the time I thought it was a bit like the TAC ads; by themselves they do nothing, but if they change attitudes and make people a bit more aware then that is worthwhile, provided they keep it factual.

Even this discussion helps, Silent's links are worth looking at as they have good facts that debunk some of the popular misconceptions. It's a worthy discussion to have.

Calm
28th March 2008, 06:44 PM
I see this as a great chance for the criminal minded to strike while the lights are out.

Gra
28th March 2008, 06:45 PM
I see this as a great chance for the criminal minded to strike while the lights are out.

Calm, you have a sick evil twisted mind........ I knew I liked you for a reason:D:D:D

weisyboy
28th March 2008, 06:51 PM
instead of turnin off my lights for 1 hour at 8 (is that daylight savings time or qld time? and what time zone) i will turn my lights off at 10pm and leave them off untill 6.00pm tomorow thats 20 hours of darkness:)(.

i do this every day.

i truly am a saint:innocent:.

Brickie
28th March 2008, 06:51 PM
it was simply about raising awareness and concern, to educate the public that things needed to be done so that they would not resist efforts by Governments or others to solve the problem.

Hi Greg.
Dont you think we have had enough of this rubbish shoved down our throats?:giveup3:

Sure the Climate change scientists are for it, thats the only reason that they have a job, no climate change no job. :dunno: They have a barrow to push.:no:

Groggy
28th March 2008, 07:25 PM
Hi Greg.
Dont you think we have had enough of this rubbish shoved down our throats?:giveup3:

Hi Al. Rubbish, yes, which is why I tried to be careful by saying "provided they keep it factual".

I guess that like yourself I get a bit tired of reading some of the emotional junk that has no basis in fact. I said it was a worthy discussion to have, discussing it does NOT mean supporting it though, it just means discuss it, get the 'facts' and decide for yourself. I don't know anywhere near enough about this stuff to argue the case one way or another. It seems a bit too important to dismiss without some idea of whether it's a crock or not.

Buzzer
28th March 2008, 08:42 PM
Turn the lights off...................naaah.

Just a gimmick so the pollies and greenies get there heads on T.V.

Gingermick
28th March 2008, 10:50 PM
Or at least on the radio if you got the 62 inch plasma turned of

nev25
28th March 2008, 11:06 PM
Waste of time IMO

I worked for 15 years in the power generation industry both as an power plant operator then an electrician for what use to be the SEC
An I can tell you it wont make any difference

The powers to be (no pun intended) will have the coal fired power stations on base load and the environmentally friendly Hydros on Frequency control (fluctuating with the demand)

So dropping a small load as household lights will only make the Hydros drop load for an hour

These fluctuations happen as part of the normal operation of a day
Like half time of the Grand final when everyone boils there kettles etc

If we want to make an impact try getting heavy industry to shut down for an hour.
Like Portland aluminum smelter (like that will happen)

Ashore
29th March 2008, 12:30 AM
It's nice to see that there are still teens out there who are 'innocent' and believe in something worthwhile.

Or how much infulence their parents ideals have had on them,
Children are are a product of their enviroment pure and simple :2tsup:

ian
29th March 2008, 12:50 AM
I love it:
snip

Same thing applies to changing everyone's lightbulbs to the more expensive, less versatile power savers. I use them where appropriate, but they don't suit all my lighting requirements.

Don't get me started on plastic bags.

snip
can I get you started on the light globes? :D

Like the quantity of mercury in each one and how they should be recycled and not tossed in the garbage to end up in land fill

there's stories floating arround that if you break one you need a Hazmat team to clean up the mess ...

ian

Brickie
29th March 2008, 10:46 AM
This is from todays Age.
Sort of defeats the purpose of the whole thing doesnt it? :?

All those people using fuel to go and see the lights being turned off and then a concert? :?

Lignum
29th March 2008, 11:16 AM
Good find Brickie. Federation square in the dark will be fantastic... At least you wont get to see the punches comming. I`ll just stay home and turn the lights out, light some candles and jump in the hot tub for the hour.

Lignum
29th March 2008, 08:16 PM
Interesting. 4 Houses in my street have their front lights on. Is this some anti "lights off" protest?

[Edit- 8.55 and they are still on]

[Edit2- 9.05 and 3 of the 4 are off. Definite protest]

weisyboy
29th March 2008, 08:24 PM
dosent start for another half an hour lig.

so everybody turn all there lights on to make use of all the power we wont be able to in the next hour.

Lignum
29th March 2008, 08:38 PM
dosent start for another half an hour lig.

It starts at 8. I posted at 8.16

Oh, the wireless internet conection on the laptop in the hot tub is fantastic:D

weisyboy
29th March 2008, 08:45 PM
its still only 7.45.

corbs
29th March 2008, 08:46 PM
I forgot... the world is going to end and its all my fault:doh:. Sorry:-

Edit: Didn't realise it was so early... I turned a light off:2tsup:

Lignum
29th March 2008, 08:52 PM
its still only 7.45.

But you are behind the times in QLD:wink:

weisyboy
29th March 2008, 08:59 PM
na mate
you guys that are mad getting up in the dark and going to bed wile its still daylight. couldnt think of anything worse.

weisyboy
29th March 2008, 09:00 PM
now its 8.00

Sleeping Dog
29th March 2008, 09:01 PM
the southern states are still on daylight savings.
they'll just be turning the lights back on again now

weisyboy
29th March 2008, 09:04 PM
and they all will use twice the power for the next hour as they do all the things they couldnt do.

shower, washup, cuppa tee, cook dinner,etc

Sleeping Dog
29th March 2008, 09:25 PM
I take it your light is on Carl?

weisyboy
29th March 2008, 09:46 PM
:2tsup:along with the footy.

and all the lights in archafield are on as usual along with most of brisbane

munruben
29th March 2008, 09:57 PM
well we turned all the lights out etc but had to leave the computer on. only a few minutes to go thank goodness. can't see my keyboard and I am not the best touch typist in the world. Oh well did my bit I suppose.

NewLou
29th March 2008, 10:01 PM
GIDDAY :2tsup:

Well i joined in earth hour . No distractions family communicated we talked we laughed ...................did more then could ever be imagined!

Well done to all those who participated to those who didnt u missed being part of something special ..........................

aussie aussie aussie oy oy oy!

:D:D:D

Wongo
29th March 2008, 10:13 PM
I was driving home but I did turn the lights off.:D

Seriously we did it. I pretended be a monster in the dark but the kids weren’t scared. “You are not a monster, you are my daddy.” :(

astrid
29th March 2008, 10:32 PM
Seriously we did it. I pretended be a monster in the dark but the kids weren’t scared. “You are not a monster, you are my daddy.” :(

Loyalty of kids is amazing:D:D

We lit a few candles and played Dungons and Dragons.
Good family time.
about 1/3 of my street turned off (or were out)

Astrid

Lignum
29th March 2008, 10:35 PM
We can all read just how great we are in tomorrows paper then forget it for another 360 days:)

powderpost
29th March 2008, 10:36 PM
We didn't turn the lights off, we practice minimum power consumption all the time. Still can't correlate this earth hour concept with the two or three weeks before Christmas, where many are encouraged to "LIGHT" up for Christmas. Could not possibly be any element of the 'warm, fuzzy' feeling in both exercises????? and drive around to look at the lights????
Jim

Honorary Bloke
29th March 2008, 10:42 PM
We are supposed to turn off tonight at 8pm (Seppos are always behind, you know :D ) but on my street we are all OFs, so will be in bed anyway by then. :U

astrid
29th March 2008, 10:42 PM
We can all read just how great we are in tomorrows paper then forget it for another 360 days:)

So you turned off after all Lig,
Congratulations:2tsup::2tsup:

The power of persuasion? or were you just being obstreperous?:U

Astrid

Honorary Bloke
29th March 2008, 10:44 PM
or were you just being obstreperous?:U

Astrid

Been reading the dictionary again, I see. :rolleyes:

Lignum
29th March 2008, 10:49 PM

"Word of the day" toilet paper. I got some last year as well. :)

ss_11000
29th March 2008, 10:51 PM
I was driving home but I did turn the lights off.:D

:roflmao:...i actually laughed when i read that wongo:2tsup:

i was dissapointed when i asked the managers at work if we could turn the lights off in the kitchen for an hour and they said no because of OH&S issues:(...oh well, at least i could see where the grills and fryers were:2tsup:

powderpost
29th March 2008, 11:05 PM
Forgot to add that Ergon, the power authority here, actually offers an award for the "best" lit house an the council actually puts up a street sign to indicate "Christmas" street to mark the street for a year.... Interesting concept???
edit.. Does this happen any where else?????

Jim

astrid
29th March 2008, 11:30 PM

I'll see you

Astrid

rod@plasterbrok
30th March 2008, 02:53 AM
Hmmm whatever floats your boat I suppose.

I don't think scaring kids wittless about their future on this planet is very sensible.

Artic ice in on the poles all back to normal right now cant see it ALL melting any time soon, what with the worlds temperatures decreacing and all, not to mention the antartic temps rarly get above 0 deg except for the fringes where you would expect ice to melt, (like it does every summer).

Turn off your lights by all means I will leave mine on thank you. Never has a more futile exercise ever been attempted in my opinion. Climate change? Sure! it changes all the time. Warm to cold, cold to warm and back again all very naturally. Too much hype, not enough (or) no facts to support your theory. The truth about AGW will come out in time.

This thread is certainly in the right catagory "drivel".

Brickie
30th March 2008, 08:27 AM

I don't think scaring kids wittless about their future on this planet is very sensible.

Artic ice in on the poles all back to normal right now cant see it ALL melting any time soon, what with the worlds temperatures decreacing and all, not to mention the antartic temps rarly get above 0 deg except for the fringes where you would expect ice to melt, (like it does every summer).

Turn off your lights by all means I will leave mine on thank you. Never has a more futile exercise ever been attempted in my opinion. Climate change? Sure! it changes all the time. Warm to cold, cold to warm and back again all very naturally. Too much hype, not enough (or) no facts to support your theory. The truth about AGW will come out in time.

:clap: Arhh, a man after my own heart who can actually think for himself....:bgth:

weisyboy
30th March 2008, 08:39 AM

my thaughts exacltly. its all a load of B/S

Sturdee
30th March 2008, 09:28 AM
I didn't participate in this futile and infantile show of stupidity thought up by the lunatic fringe that seems to have overtaking the respectable greenie movement.

Whilst I generally try to adhere to the three ' R 's , being reduce, reuse and recycle, I think sitting in the dark with a candlelight and discussing how great we are in saving the world is neither being normal nor productive.

A bit like the recent UN conference in Indonesia to save the world and every delegation flies in on their own planes to attend and burned up more petrol than they'll save.

Peter.

munruben
30th March 2008, 10:14 AM
I'd like to know what we actually achieved by doing it. Does anyone really believe it made a difference to anything?

rod@plasterbrok
30th March 2008, 10:33 AM
No material difference at all John. Just made you feel good. Nothing wrong with that either.

Just a long as people don't try and tell me because it made them feel so good that I should have done so as well. I also get upset when the Jehova's come arround telling the same thing about religion.

The earth frying and poles melting is a bit like the "your going to hell" thing.

Big Shed
30th March 2008, 10:36 AM
A bit like the recent UN conference in Indonesia to save the world and every delegation flies in on their own planes to attend and burned up more petrol than they'll save.

Peter.

Or buying a Toyota Prius and fooling yourself you are doing something good for the environment (doesn't hurt Toyota's profits though:()

nev25
30th March 2008, 11:29 AM

Yeah as I stated in 2 previous post last nights exercise wouldn't have made any difference to the environment.
But the sad thing is that there are people out there that think they have saved the earth

But it was an interesting exercise (and dangerous if it comes down to OH&S)

I cannot complain as the Government made a statement last year that they are baning the sale of the standard Incandescent light globe as from the end of this year.
The globe to replace it (So I am told) requires a new type of light fitting.
As the regulations state that every lighting point must be earthed and every light circuit mus be protected by a safety switch this will mean in a lot of cases a total rewire and new switchboard
"Sorry Mrs Jones for me to replace that light globe it will cost you $5000"

As I'M an Electrical contractor The new BMW is looking good