PDA

View Full Version : Workshop tool inventory

buddha
28th March 2008, 12:59 AM
I am lookimg for a piece of software to keep an inventory of workshop tools.This would include date of purchase, original cost, description and perhaps the capacity to add a photo.

Anyone got or know where I can find this????

Many Thanks

Kev

TommyC
28th March 2008, 08:52 AM
I put everything onto an Excel spreadsheet. Not fancy, but easy to use. Most people already have it...

Outbackrr
28th March 2008, 09:13 AM
Second using Excel, easy to insert and resize images.

Probably not a good idea to keep a running total of purchase prices though:oo:

Check twice!
28th March 2008, 10:13 AM
I use Excel for description and serial numbers and also keep a photo album using I photo. This gives me written description and photo.
Maybe useful.

Chris Parks
28th March 2008, 10:23 AM
Excel like everyone else with pages for categories. You could use Access but the trouble to learn it is not worth the result.

blackhole
28th March 2008, 10:30 AM
I found a couple of things, there are a bunch of web/databased projects that can be customised but most people would want it kept on their own computer.

Some of the picture organisation programs allow you to tag the photos and then search through the different tags. picassa from google may do the job.

http://www.primasoft.com/tour_inventory/inventory_software_tour01.htm

http://www.tucows.com/preview/422814

Ron Dunn
28th March 2008, 11:27 AM
If you're going to use a desktop program like Excel, Access, etc., please make sure that you have an effective OFF-SITE backup of your inventory file.

I_wanna_Shed
28th March 2008, 11:32 AM
Hi All,

I'm assuming that one of the reasons you want this is for insurance purposes?

If so, then whatever software you use, print out a hardcopy or save a second copy of it somewhere outside of your house. You will appreciate this if someone breaks in and steals your computer.

Cheers,
Nathan.

HappyHammer
28th March 2008, 11:32 AM
Why would you want to spend time setting up and maintaining a list of your tools when you could be in the shed using them.:?

HH.

rat52
28th March 2008, 11:49 AM
excel is not big enough and I don't have enough time left on this earth to inventory every single tool and jig/gaget in my shed, and when dad shucks this mortal coil and I have to sort out his shed. oh hell !!!!!:doh:

The Bleeder
28th March 2008, 01:04 PM
Kev,

Use Excel and put links in there for pictures if you need to. Thats the simplest way. Back it up and keep a copy somewhere else. You can never have too many backups. Print it out if you need to.

Rat,

That's the problem i'll have. He's 82 and still going strong and he got all of his fathers tools and still he's collecting more. It will probably take me a lifetime to go through it all.

Steve

SAISAY
28th March 2008, 02:28 PM
excel is not big enough and I don't have enough time left on this earth to inventory every single tool and jig/gaget in my shed, and when dad shucks this mortal coil and I have to sort out his shed. oh hell !!!!!:doh:
I think that's the first time I have ever heard of Excel not being big enough, it is big enough to use for retail shop inventoriesdepending how it is ser up :?
I have yet to run out of space for my shop
Wolffie

Ian Smith
28th March 2008, 02:36 PM
Wollfie, that thought struck me too so I googled Microsoft and they reckon:

Worksheet size 65,536 rows by 256 columns

Column width 255 characters

Row height 409 points

Page breaks 1000 horizontal and vertical

Length of cell contents (text) 32,767 characters.

Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar.

That's got to be one helluva big shed!!:oo:

Ian

rat52
28th March 2008, 02:41 PM
I was joking fellas. I was joking.:D Scheeche

SAISAY
28th March 2008, 03:21 PM
I was joking fellas. I was joking.:D Scheeche
How are p[eople supposed to know that without a :p or a :rolleyes: or a :wink: or a :D at the end of the sentence :?:?
Wolffie :logic:

rat52
28th March 2008, 03:31 PM
Point taken wolffie :D

Sawdust Maker
28th March 2008, 09:15 PM
I've never done this:no:
keep receipts for major purchases
I've seen a suggestion that you video the shed with a running commentary
But I can see an inventory in a spreadsheet is a good idea
I'll have to borrow a work laptop and sit out there one day (or two) and do it properly, damn something else for the ever growing list of must do things :oo:
photos to be included of course

Chris Parks
28th March 2008, 09:35 PM
I did the inventory thing once and have since lost the file when some idiot computer tech decided the drive needed formatting. A mate of mine had his shed emptied by thieving low life persons and made the appropriate claim and was paid. the only problem was because he could not remember everything he had he could not claim it all, that is if your insurance compnay will cover it and most don't, have you checked your policy?

Check twice!
28th March 2008, 09:59 PM
I did the inventory thing once and have since lost the file when some idiot computer tech decided the drive needed formatting. A mate of mine had his shed emptied by thieving low life persons and made the appropriate claim and was paid. the only problem was because he could not remember everything he had he could not claim it all, that is if your insurance compnay will cover it and most don't, have you checked your policy?

I lost a considerable amount of tools many (20) years ago I did get them covered BUT it ended being a compromise because of my lack of keeping good records. I now keep 3 sets of photos and listings of my shop and indivual tools. One on my computer, one on our archives (seperate computer) and a hard copy. Once bit twice shy!

I had to be sure to let my insurance company know as well, do not take anything for granted.

By the way I was still remembering things I had lost a year or so later that I never got money for. Write it down!

John :)

gjnairn
28th March 2008, 11:36 PM
Generally I use Excell but I don't keep photos and set up queries etc. However if you wish to keep photos and description there is more free software on the internet than you can poke a stick at.

Follow the link below and have a look through for what will best suit your needs and costs nothing. I have the most success with this site when I am looking for something different.

http://www.download.com/Database-Management/3150-2065_4-0.html?tag=dir

Stubchain
30th March 2008, 03:03 PM
Google Home Inventory Software Free. There's some purpose made stuff there.

switt775
13th April 2008, 05:11 PM
I've had a bit of a play (love a challenge), and have built something in Access which others may find useful. I would load it here as an attachment, but the zip file is 1.3MB, so no can do.:~:~ Anyone interested can PM me with their email address, and I'll send them a copy.

Let me say at the beginning I have never built anything in Access before, so don't expect anything too flash here.

My hope is that someone who actually knows how to use Access will be motivated to improve this. If not, I believe it's useable, although a bit primitive.

I keep it on a memory stick which is on my keychain, thereby going me a measure of "offsite" storage. Plus I can load it on my computer at work, so have a backup.

Any comments / suggestions are welcome. I don't promise I'll do anything with them, but someone else might, you never know.

Ozkaban
14th April 2008, 04:19 PM
I'd make sure that the file is pretty secure too - if someone pinches your PC, they've got a nice list of the other goodies that are there to grab second time around (assuming they didn't see your shed first go)...

I've used this GIO one (http://www.gio.com.au/virtualsafe/registration_form.asp) in the past, but I made my password a bit too fancy (used a "!"). It let me spend ages setting up the inventory - you can draw little room layouts and then list the items in each. The problem was that once I was finished, it wouldn't recognise my password to let me back in :doh:

Now I just take photos of the serial numbers (helps when the crooks sell them to Crime Converters), and keep the receipt/manual - it was good enough for GIO when some little snot nicked my Digital SLR camera...

Cheers,
Dave