PDA

View Full Version : Dovetails

seafurymike
28th March 2008, 09:56 AM
Hello all,

I have a Leight D1600 dovetail jig and was using it/testing how to make Half blind dovetails for a set of drawers i want to make.

The concern i have with my output is:

1. A couple of the tails fit well, but the middle tails have a very small gap in the fit.

Thinking about it, is this due to the Jig setup? If the fingers on the Jig are not straight up and down, would i get this gap? Or is this more likely to be the router and the inaccuracy of the collet/shank setup?

If someone could confirm this issue please.

Thanks
Michael

Stevenp
28th March 2008, 10:22 AM
G'day Michael, I too have the 1600, and reckon it is the best thing since sliced bread.
Just flicking through the manual , I would suggest looking at how flat the support board is and how square and flat your material is. The really important thing is that your material is flat and square , both of these effect the outcome of the joint.
I dont think your jig is at fault. I hope this helps. Cheers Steven:)

LGS
28th March 2008, 10:59 AM
You might also want to check that all the fingers are tightened and square.

seafurymike
28th March 2008, 11:20 AM
HI LGS,

I think this is the issue. If the fingers are not square there will be a gap. This also explains why i get some joins with gaps and not the others.

/M

LGS
28th March 2008, 12:01 PM
Hi Mike,
This issue brought me undone during the early days with the D4R. You really need to tighten the grub screws well. There is a lot of vibration happening during the rout.

Regards,

Rob

seafurymike
28th March 2008, 01:11 PM
Thanks Rob for your input.

I see your in Eaglemont, just up the road from me.

/Michael