PDA

View Full Version : Saw Dust Disposal

BobR
28th March 2008, 09:20 PM
Curious to know how others are getting rid of the sawdust from the shop floor and the DC. At the moment I am creating it faster than I can get rid of it. It is the same at the beginning of every new project when most of the resawing and dressing of timber takes place. Can only put so much in the "green" waste bin.

Chris Parks
28th March 2008, 09:28 PM
Any car workshop would use it to clean up oils spills, local stables though some woods can be hazardous to horses, compost piles.

echnidna
28th March 2008, 09:33 PM
Mine goes on the garden,
but its so big that I could put a few woolbales full of sawdust on and still need more.

Let your local senior cits club know its available free and you'll be surprised how easy it is to get rid of. (keep it in plastic garbage bags)

funkychicken
28th March 2008, 09:46 PM
I burn my shavings

robyn2839
28th March 2008, 10:37 PM
put mine in the wheely bin, funny watching the garbo spewing when he gets covered in dust,most goes in gardens. there is always someone who wants some for all sorts of reasons, i keep hardwood for smoking,huon and coachwood for pot pouri,the rest for garden.bob

funkychicken
28th March 2008, 10:43 PM
i keep hardwood for smoking

Strange habit you have there.....

:D

Howdya do that
29th March 2008, 08:50 AM
Like Echidna said, It makes excellent garden mulch and if you've got neighbours give it to them for mulch.

It never ceases to amaze me that people put so much stuff in the bin then BUY bags of garden mulch.

Cliff Rogers
29th March 2008, 09:49 AM
What sawdust. :(

Calm
29th March 2008, 09:57 AM
What sawdust. :(

Cliff i know with your brilliant technique you get shavings from the tools but surely you dont get shavings from sanding??:D:D:D:D

Cliff Rogers
29th March 2008, 10:08 AM
The implication was that I don't do enough woodwork to have a sawdust problem. :-

SAISAY
29th March 2008, 10:22 AM
I burn my shavings
How nice to see the young are heeding the ernvironmental warnings
Wolffie

Calm
29th March 2008, 10:26 AM
The implication was that I don't do enough woodwork to have a sawdust problem. :-

For a minute there i thought you would tell me, with your technique/ability you didnt need to sand.:D:D:D:doh::doh:

West OZ Mark
29th March 2008, 10:35 AM
Between my Saw Mill and my Workshop I aquire alot of saw dust so I printed up same bags and filled 600 bags of different types ( marri shavings, Jarrah sawdust etc). Excluding labour the bags and printing cost $1.00/bag plus advertising and I sold 10 for $2.00 each over several months.
Now I just heap all the Sawdust and tell people to come and get there own trailer load when it starts getting too big.
I looked into getting a simple machine to make sawdust briquets but I couldnt find one that didnt cost a arm and a leg.

Bob38S
29th March 2008, 11:43 AM
In the garden.

Dust to dust etc...........

BobR
29th March 2008, 12:09 PM
Cliff, are you saying that you still have not fitted out that great shed I saw over 18 months ago. Shame. I am sure you are going to say that it is all done and that you are just too busy :rolleyes:

good to hear what others are doing with their byproduct.

Cliff Rogers
29th March 2008, 12:14 PM
It is now full, but it still doesn't have power yet. :-

Been working on renos on the house, not really woodwork & when I am cutting up wood, it is out on the veranda so the dust goes straight out onto the lawn.

wheelinround
29th March 2008, 05:01 PM
Garden mostly

Then plastic bags mark with type of wood, LOML uses it boils it up and strains off liquid for dyeing fibre.
Form there onto garden or FIL fire.

David Mitchell
29th March 2008, 09:22 PM
I give my shavings and saw dust to a friend that has horse stables,then it is good for the garden.
Regards D M:):2tsup:

powderpost
29th March 2008, 10:00 PM
Mine goes under the fruit trees for mulch. I have been warned by a horticulturist, that the decaying process uses the nitrogen in the soil. Now I throw a couple of handfuls of urea on the ground before the shavings.
Jim

Different
30th March 2008, 11:11 AM
My horses are not stabled so I burn it and no before you ask I dont think this is an environmental issue!

Ross

West OZ Mark
30th March 2008, 06:41 PM
Sawdust mixed with metho makes a great firelighter