PDA

View Full Version : Curtains do work

OGYT
29th March 2008, 11:48 AM
On another forum, I read a lot of posts about chip barriers. Pic 1 shows I needed something. My little mini lathe is under the blue rags. That's the result of rounding the large Elm Blank that I hoisted up in Pic 2.
Pic 3 shows that the noodles are held close by the curtains. Elm and Pecan.
You do have to clean up more often when you keep them close, though. I hauled out 7 large blue DHL mail bags of noodles out of my shop after two days of coring and roughing.

BernieP
29th March 2008, 11:57 AM
G'Day Al

Thanks for the pics, were the curtains readymade (tracks etc.) or something you made up, I guess what I'm trying to say is do they open and shut, as after seeing that realize I need something similar.

Cheers
Bernie

Cliff Rogers
29th March 2008, 12:19 PM
In my shed in Cairns, I hung strips of that black plastic (the sort used under concrete) from the roof to stop the chips & shavings from the lathe from flying down the other end of the shed.
I had it over lap by about 30mm & staples bits of timber molding to the bottom as weight to stop it from blowing around.

BernieP
29th March 2008, 01:16 PM
G'Day Cliff

Thanks for idea, did the strips go right to the floor? really must do something as just hoggin out some wet camphor laurel, boy what a mess. Appreciate any other ideas forumites have, don't mean to hijack your thread Al!

Cheers
Bernie

Cliff Rogers
29th March 2008, 01:47 PM
...did the strips go right to the floor? ...
Yup, they were a bit too long to start with & I folded it back up around the bit of timber moulding & stapled it there so it just rested on the floor so when the wind blew, they would move along the floor a bit without lifting & letting dust blow under.

OGYT
29th March 2008, 02:37 PM
My curtains are shower curtains from walmart. I wanted the clear ones, but they weren't the largest. The frosted work fine, though, and transmit the light well.
I hung the curtains upside down, using the rings to put screws in to the large wooden rod for a roller (visible in pic 2 in my opening post). I nailed the bottom hem with slats of wood to the roof trusses. I used 3 old window sash pulleys for each curtain, for the 1/4" ropes. The rope goes under the roller and fastens to the truss, also.

artme
29th March 2008, 05:21 PM
Mate of mine set up what is more or less like a bag-cum-curtain. When it fills with shavings he unclips from holders, brings all 4 sides together and,now that its like a bag, simply carries it outside!:2tsup::2tsup:

RETIRED
29th March 2008, 06:29 PM
Tried curtains to contain the stuff but by lunchtime was lying on top of them to turn.:D

25 garbage bags a day we fill when I am doing the big stuff.

I used to hang a blue tarp around the little lathe and that worked well.

coffenup
29th March 2008, 07:34 PM
ok OGYT do we get to se what you turned from that large blank
Regards Michael

OGYT
30th March 2008, 04:39 AM
Sure thing, Michael. Soon as it comes out of the soup and dries. :D
It's in the soap for a month. Then I'll remount it and spin the majority of the water out, and then it'll be paper-wrapped to dry.
I haven't done the spin thing on other large bowls before, but it seems to speed up the drying a little on smaller stuff, so I think I'll try it on a couple of big ones. But I'll let you know how it comes out. :)

hughie
30th March 2008, 02:01 PM
Al Good one!

Tried a big tarp arpund the lathe..ggrrh more trouble that it was worth.

I have picked up left over industrial/factory door curtains. They come in strips around 150mm or 6" wide 3mm or 1/8" thick clear plastic. The idea is that the forklifts can go in and out but the brids etc cant get in. Will be put em up in the new shed........one day

OGYT
31st March 2008, 01:03 AM
Thanks, Hughie. Hope you get into it soon!!
, 25 bags a day would bury all my trees in noodles!! :D
Come to think of it, layin' on a bed of shavings to turn would be comfy!!