PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Help Required!!

Pablo
19th January 2004, 01:09 PM
SWMBO has given me permission to buy a scrollsaw I discovered at Cashies and I need to know if it may be a good deal.

The saw is a Carba-Tec and they want $199 for it. It appears to be in good condition and that's all I know about it.

I'll keep the location secret in case it's such a good deal that someone else gazumps me!!

Any help appreciated - but I'd like to move quickly (SWMBO says it's the only time I ever do!!)

Cheers

Paul.

Sir Stinkalot
19th January 2004, 01:20 PM
????

From the Carbatec Site ....
Carba-tec 16" V/s Scroll Saw Model RSS-16V Price $179.00.

The original post is a little unclear .... is Cashies (crime converters I beleive) selling something similar for $199 without a warranty?

Pablo
19th January 2004, 01:25 PM
Definitely Crime Converters!!

I don't know the size of the unit but if Carba-Tec sell one for less, with a warranty I'd maybe be better going to C-T.

I'll research some more.

Many thanks, Sire.

Sir Stinkalot
19th January 2004, 01:28 PM
Yep ..... that sounds like crime converters .... selling on goods (often damaged) at a higher than RRP. You should go back offer them $100, they will laugh, you will laugh and then you can go off to Carbatec and buy a new unit there with warranty for less.

Dont tell the boss that you can get it $20 cheaper however as this can be the spare blades.

Stinky.

Pablo
19th January 2004, 01:49 PM
Good suggestions!!

I've just looked on the Carba-Tec site and the Delta 16" (not variable speed) is only $199. Having read the reviews, I would probably go for that one - or now that it's not urgent (because C-Tec has stock) save the extra $100 and get the variable speed model.

Another question though, is the $199 single speed, 16" a pinless blade machine? I hear that this is desirable.

A little more research necessary and maybe a trip to C-Tec. Better take the plastic card, just in case I spot a bargain!!

The saw at Crime Converters maybe a bigger, better machine but with no warranty or indication of what it's been through I'll give it a miss.

Thanks again

Pablo.

fxst
19th January 2004, 06:23 PM
Pabs if ur going to do work with plastics or thin metal down the line go for the var speed better bang for ur bucks
Pete:D

oges
19th January 2004, 06:48 PM
variable speed is not a major concern but its preferable to have it if you can afford to pay for one with variable speed. But you definately need to get one with pinless blade clamp.

I havent seen the carbatec on to see if its pinless or not.

DavidW
19th January 2004, 10:07 PM
I originally bought the Carba-tec and it takes both pinned and pinless blades. It is now for sale as I bought the Delta variable speed.

nuff said

gatiep
19th January 2004, 11:23 PM
I( took a walk through cashies SOR in Albany hway last Thursday, still checking to see if some of my tools will appear. There was a very old CT scroll saw but enormous, I've never seen such a big one. The CT label is not a modern one. I guess if thats the one, go get one from CT because I think the one in Cashies operates on Kerosene!!:rolleyes:

ssgt
5th February 2004, 01:20 AM
paul
the cheaper carbatec scroll saws are all pin end blades, the Delta single and variable speed only take pinless blades. Depending on what you intend to cut (panel, timber, plastics, non anealed metal) variable speed is a advantage. Pinless blades also come in a greater range of sizes, ie tpi - 10 through 25 with very fine metal piercing blades being available as well.