PDA

View Full Version : Bevel cutting on a table saw

Alfredo Alamo
30th March 2008, 08:13 AM
Hi you guys,
I feel the most idiotic guy when using my table saw for bevel cuts. I definitely do not know how to measure from the fence to the blade to get the dimmensions that I want. So, I use the trial and error technique that leaves me frustrated and with a lot of wasted wood. Can somebody help me with this issue.
Thank you
Alfredo

pal
30th March 2008, 08:41 AM
Try it this way. Make your bevel cut first. then cut panel ot size with a square cut

BrettC
30th March 2008, 11:09 AM
Pal,

I thought that the way decribed in that pic was dangerous given that the offcut is trapped between the blade and the fence, risking injury:sayitaintso: I've always read to cut the bevel with the offcut away from the fence :sad3:

pal
30th March 2008, 12:06 PM
Hi Brett, what you say could well be right I have used this way for about 30 years now without any problems doesn't mean it won't turn around and bite me one day.I always turn the saw off before removeing the offcut.

Would be very interested to hear the way you do it.

BrettC
30th March 2008, 01:19 PM
Pal,

I think the danger is probably minimal but it pays to be careful when cutting in a position where the wood could be trapped by the blade anf flung out. I cut the bevels with the offcut left free when I can or use the angled fence on the jointer.

I like the tip to cut to size afterwards - sometimes the simplest idea isn't so clear.

Cheers.

pal
30th March 2008, 05:34 PM
Brett,

Have to admit that is how I was taught to do it years ago, changed to the other way when I no longer had a sliding table or a crosscut fence ,found I could control the panels much easier

pal

Harry72
30th March 2008, 07:47 PM
That way is safe... just dont try to retrieve the offcut!

Toolin Around
30th March 2008, 09:18 PM
Try it this way. Make your bevel cut first. then cut panel ot size with a square cut

I did that once many many years ago - never tried it twice. Heard a very disconcerting bang but couldn't find the piece of off cut. Someone else found it stuck through the license plate (yes completely through) of a truck parked about 20 feet away.