PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood External Doorframe

Markw
19th January 2004, 01:41 PM
Gentlemen I need your wisdom,

I intend to replace the front external doorframe and would like to use a hardwood such as Jarrah.

Firstly is this a wise choice of material?
I chose this wood as I would estapol the door and frame to keep the natural timber look. Jarrah is also very strong which for the area I reside in will give good support to the security doorframe.

If this is a suitable choice of material, can anyone give any suggestion to where I get the frame pieces machined in Western Sydney

thanks

Mark

seriph1
19th January 2004, 04:56 PM
G'day

Are you talking about the frame or the architraves? If you are replacing the architraves, Jarrah would be a fine choice if you are seeking a deep red/brown natural timber finish - it is durable and attractive - WRT weather issues - all timbers will go grey over time, though the effect of the weather on the timber's real condition varies greatly between species.

In the past I have used a decking finish from Intergrain for outdoor projects, with excellent results. This may be something worth looking into as it has very good UV properties. From memory the deck I built stayed looking "fresh" for over 3 years and remained totally servicable ableit "greying" off a little after 5-6 yrs. There are now a bunch of products out there that would do the trick - this is just the one I used and recall.

Some information that would be helpful in guiding others' advice (I can't advise as I am in Melbourne) on machining options is:

Period of home or (desired) style of architraves - Victorian/Californian/federation/ contemporary? etc.

Aspect .... ie: Which way the door/side of the house faces.

Is this entrance shielded by anything like a verandah, sail etc.

Hope these ideas are helpful - do let us all know how you got on

BTW - I can't stress strongly enough that you NOT us estapol pre-stained lacquer/varnish type fineshes - while it will survive nuclear winter, if you ever wish to strip it at a later stage, it is a nightmare to remove.

Best success

Steve

Gentlemen I need your wisdom,

I intend to replace the front external doorframe and would like to use a hardwood such as Jarrah.

Firstly is this a wise choice of material?
I chose this wood as I would estapol the door and frame to keep the natural timber look. Jarrah is also very strong which for the area I reside in will give good support to the security doorframe.

If this is a suitable choice of material, can anyone give any suggestion to where I get the frame pieces machined in Western Sydney

thanks

Mark

Markw
20th January 2004, 07:22 AM
Steve,

I intended to use the Jarrah for the frame which the door is hinged to. My current frame is probably maple and is very soft such that the security/flyscreen door continuly sags and pulls the screws. I felt for a security door, the door is adequate but the frame holding the door is lacking. Jarrah being one of those indestructable timbers might be more suitable.

Internal architrave throughout my house is slowing changing from white painted MDF and other rubbish to clear laquered (Estapol) maple. I would probably try to make my own external door architrave from Jarrah if this is a suitable timber.

Thanks for the tip on the pre-stained product but I have already had a less than satisfying experience with coloured laquers and wouldn't ever consider them again.

regards
Mark

seriph1
20th January 2004, 12:25 PM
ok - I get you now ..... and apols for going off-beam on advice

so a tougher door jamb then - makes sense, though I have to say that I find it odd that the screws are failing if fitted correctly - the material must really be of poor quality - I mean even cedar (WRC) is usually robust enough for this application.

Good luck with it, and if you have time, please let us know what you ended up doing

success

Theva
21st January 2004, 08:49 AM
Mark,

Choice of material:

The choice is yours, if you can find it. Hardwood door frames are not available commercially for a reason. There are many posts on possible suppliers.

Where:

Mt Druitt Bunnings stock dressed Jarrah but the sizes will be a problem. Auburn Bunnings stock Vic Ash, again in smaller X sections.

If you are after red hardwood, other choice is to pick through F17 structural grade KD hardwood. Mitre 10 at Arndell Park have them in racks. Their special order desk boys are helpful; they do have milling facilities.

Harper Timbers at Pendell Hill have unseasoned hardwoods, mainly blackbutt. They have milling facilities.

Hope this helps.

In my case, I used WRC; three hinges, nailgrip plates behind lock strike, longer screws (into the hardwood frame) etc. Any system is only strong as its weakest link.

Regards,

Theva

seriph1
21st January 2004, 09:27 AM
Try the Sydney Branch of DELTA DEMOLITIONS (or construction) - rummage rummage rummage........ here is a number that may be a help, even if only for getting the Sydney number and address - 03 96468277 - ask the reception-droid for the Sydney number.... or just look up DELTA Sydney I guess

they bring down a LOT of commercial buildings in Australia and nowadays retain large quantities of timber in various species and dimension for resale.

If you were in Melbourne I would be able to refer you, but this is the only idea I have for Sydney

success

Barry_White
21st January 2004, 12:10 PM
Just as a note I used to work for a company putting in security doors and we often had to pack door frames out or to rebuild them and we used Kwila which is a hardwood and has properties that are very resistant to moisture.

Markw
21st January 2004, 06:34 PM
Thanks to all for your advice

Mark