PDA

View Full Version : Any Idea's Safety Hinge For Toy Box

Stubchain
30th March 2008, 02:56 PM
I'm making a toy box for my grandson. 1200 x 500 x 500. This means the lid is going to be fairly heavy. Has anyone got any idea's on a safety hinge system.

I would prefer one that closes slowly down.

As a matter of interest I'm making the box out of Baltic pine tongue and groove. I got it from a local salvage company (it was new wood though). Got it home, cut it up to the required lengths. When I started to butt the pieces together it did not look right. Turns out that the sides with the multiple grooves had two small camphors missing, one on the groove edge and one on the tongue edge. This meant that when they butted up together the boards were flush and did not leave a small groove like the rest of the wood.

A lesson learned there, check the smallest detail. I could have opened up the boards a bit but it did not leave much strength in my opinion. I ended up routing my own camphor. It is annoying when this sort of thing happens.

pal
30th March 2008, 05:48 PM
Hi stubchain

Try http://elraco.com.au click on other hinges they call it a blanket box or seat hinge , actually holds the lid open it works very well stops the lid from slamming shut

pal

Harry72
30th March 2008, 07:36 PM
Elraco's also have "slow down" stays as well.

Brickie
30th March 2008, 08:57 PM
They only get their fingers caught once, then they learn. :roll:

We all survived without slow close hinges.....:U

Fred Nerk
30th March 2008, 10:46 PM
It is not their fingers that matter. Sadly children are killed by toy box lids and it is very important that the lid is safe. They don't all get a second chance. Try a Google search "toy box lid death". It will scare you (or it should)

I encourage you to keep searching for the solution.

joe greiner
31st March 2008, 12:55 AM
The over-centre blanket box hinge might self-close too aggressively for operation by kiddies.

The "slow down" stay that Harry mentioned looks like it has an internal dashpot. Might be just the ticket, but I'd telephone them for verification of how it works.

Another possibility would be a "gas spring" or two, as used in car and ute hatchbacks, probably engineered for just this function. Should be several sizes/strengths available from auto parts shops.

Joe

Check twice!
31st March 2008, 01:57 AM
I'm making a toy box for my grandson. 1200 x 500 x 500. This means the lid is going to be fairly heavy. Has anyone got any idea's on a safety hinge system.

I would prefer one that closes slowly down.

As a matter of interest I'm making the box out of Baltic pine tongue and groove. I got it from a local salvage company (it was new wood though). Got it home, cut it up to the required lengths. When I started to butt the pieces together it did not look right. Turns out that the sides with the multiple grooves had two small camphors missing, one on the groove edge and one on the tongue edge. This meant that when they butted up together the boards were flush and did not leave a small groove like the rest of the wood.

A lesson learned there, check the smallest detail. I could have opened up the boards a bit but it did not leave much strength in my opinion. I ended up routing my own camphor. It is annoying when this sort of thing happens.
On the hatch back of many autos there is a slim cylinder which assists in slowing the hatck down so it does not bang shut. These are available in different sizes and strengths. Maybe look at auto wreckers or a product that has a similar features.
Good luck on your hunt!

I have made several toys for the grandchildren and "safety is paramount", they are our future. A well thought out project you are building.
John

mastercraft
31st March 2008, 07:22 AM
Hi , I manufactured /wholesaled timber toyboxes for many years and on our better/ upmarket boxes we used soft down stays. These do work extremely well , you will need 1 at each end for any lids over about 800mm wide. They are adjustable for closure rate, you can tune them so the lid closes so softly you cannot hear it touch the box.One point - they used a heavy friction grease , so in hot weather they close faster! - as the grease softens. I have quite a few of these hinges, if you want I could sell you some.i have attached a pic of how they are fitted.
Note - you cannot fit them as the instructions say - they actually snap shut !!

Stubchain
31st March 2008, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the replies, Mastercraft I did not understand Note - you cannot fit them as the instructions say - they actually snap shut !!

How much are they and how do I get the money to you?

Cruzi
31st March 2008, 12:16 PM
Don't overthink or over-engineer it. Kids get killed by blanket box lids and scalectric toy cars and woolen jumpers. Kids are kids.

Bunnings have soft close stays and they work quite well, just watch the lid weight (if truley concerned about kiddies, make lid light).

http://www.cruzis-coins.com/tmp/blanbox092.jpg

mastercraft
31st March 2008, 12:32 PM
1. Cost to you $40 for a pair incl postage.
2. If you want to buy pm me and I will send you my business/bank details.
3. Re the snap shut comment - its a bit hard to explain but these hinges have a soft closing hinge and also a spring loaded cam pivot on the arm.
For a fully soft closure they need to be set up so the cam doesn't engage
before the lid shuts. This might take a bit of trial and error because it depends on the design of the box and the lid placement.
Hope this helps

Stubchain
31st March 2008, 03:13 PM
Thanks to everyone for the help. I actually went out lunchtime to a local supplier and got a couple of the exact ones shown Cruzi's photo, I came back and there they were on the forum. Thanks.