PDA

View Full Version : Help! How to dissolve Aquadhere PVA glue

`Felix`
19th January 2004, 03:00 PM
G'day,

I have had a mishap with the use of some Aquadhere PVA glue and need to dissolve a the glue in a joint - is there a painless way of doing this so I can separate the timber?

DonN
19th January 2004, 03:44 PM
Water

Neil
19th January 2004, 04:55 PM
Even better still - Hot water.

`Felix`
19th January 2004, 05:15 PM
So you just pour hot water on the joint and pull it apart?

Ivor
19th January 2004, 05:46 PM
Isn't the hot water going to make the joint swell and therefore it won't pull apart?

I suppose it depends on the type of joint.

`Felix`
19th January 2004, 06:09 PM
The joint in question is just 2 pieces of timber butted together.

seriph1
20th January 2004, 12:02 PM
depending on how old the join is and how well it was clamped....it should prise apart fairly easily if a chisel is placed at the glue line and tapped until it wedges the joint apart....theoretically the glue join will be stronger that the wood, but it all depends on the conditiions etc etc etc.

There are so many variables that it is not possible to offer a better idea I feel...... I wouldnt have thought water would work after the glue has set-PVA glue being what it is when dry, but hey, I am great at being wrong about a bunch of things.....

just ask my wife

success

steve

Oldblock
20th January 2004, 12:18 PM
Laminated two 100x50s to make 100x100 once. The wood wasn't fully seasoned and warped, the PVA allowed the joint to creep rendering my 100x100 unsuitable.
The lesson? PVA allows creep so put the joint under stress like drive a chisel into the joint and wait.
Then drive it in some more and so on.

Works great if you aren't in a hurry.

`Felix`
21st January 2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by seriph1
it should prise apart fairly easily if a chisel is placed at the glue line and tapped until it wedges the joint apart....

Well the chisel in the joint worked a treat!

I am great at being wrong about a bunch of things.....

just ask my wife

Well you can tell her you was right this time :D

soundman
21st January 2004, 11:23 PM
gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen?

water will not disolve PVA glue.
It will weaken it make it go milky but not disolve.
If you don't believe me saturate a paint brish in PVA let it dry(well) then ty to clean it with water. The metal band on the brush will rust away first.

VINEGAR AH well theres an other thing.
It will disolve standard PVA, takes a little while but it does disolve.
Now try the paint brush in vinegar.

getting it into a joint is an other matter then there may be a problem with tanic woods (stains).

white vinegar is the go.

cheers.