PDA

View Full Version : Air Die Grinder

Ch4iS
30th March 2008, 09:56 PM
I was just thinking about the cutter and I wanted to know if its possible to use a Air powered Die Grinder?

Cheap to replace when the bearings go and they come in small 1" shafts. Requires a air compressor but I need one anyway :P

Only problem I can see is the amount of power that it can produce.

Possible to use a air die grinder?

BTW ive already started on my design, not sure if it will turn out as good as some of the ones I have seen but it will be made mainly out of 16mm and 27mm MDF (got almost a full 2400x1200 (7 by 3 foot) for $10 that is the reason for 27mm instead of 25mm).

rodm
31st March 2008, 01:19 AM
I have read where a couple of blokes have used them but I don't think they are the right tool for the job. Power and noise are your problems.
Not that it is a huge issue but it is an inefficient use of energy as well.

Good to hear you are still working on a machine. If you are going MDF then make sure you seal the MDF both sides to reduce the moisture intake. Keen to see how you get on.

Ch4iS
1st April 2008, 12:58 AM
I have read where a couple of blokes have used them but I don't think they are the right tool for the job. Power and noise are your problems.
Not that it is a huge issue but it is an inefficient use of energy as well.

Good to hear you are still working on a machine. If you are going MDF then make sure you seal the MDF both sides to reduce the moisture intake. Keen to see how you get on.

5 hours working on it today and got bugger all done. My garage is getting a bit dusty.

Ill be sure to post some pics, still not sure if it will turn out alright, reason for a thread as it will give me some encouragement to finish it :P.

Ill just stick with the Ozito router for now and look at the alternate if/when its finished.

PS: during the time I was away (net was down for 3 weeks) I built myself a work bench, about $50 in wood from bunnings and it turned out great. First time really making anything with wood.

rodm
1st April 2008, 02:07 AM
Good idea to post your progress. There are enough of us CNC lunatics here to get you in to heaps of trouble. :D
I have started another build so I had better take a few photos and post it as well.

crocky
1st April 2008, 07:56 PM
You have got the right guy on the case, Rod will see you finish it for sure :)

The Ozito will be fine while you are learning :)

rodm
1st April 2008, 08:36 PM
Hi Bob,
Yeah I can be a nag. :D

Blue^ray,
Check out the post by salty72. You will be guaranteed a great machine if it is made on another CNC machine. :2tsup:

Ch4iS
4th April 2008, 01:54 AM
^ which post from salty cant find it :P

Started assembly of one of the sides, one MDF supports just cracked, due to the design not 100% accurate, the slots are made aprox .5-1 mm less than required to give the joint a good tight fit maby a bad thought :(

Anyway I will get some pictures up so I can get some advise if to abandon the current design. (will get some up before sunday)

rodm
4th April 2008, 02:00 AM
Might be a bit late for you now you have started.
Look for his post
here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=66667)

Interested to see you progress. Don't be put off as it is a learning curve when you start.

Ch4iS
4th April 2008, 03:43 AM
Might be a bit late for you now you have started.
Look for his post
here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=66667)

Interested to see you progress. Don't be put off as it is a learning curve when you start.

sent him a pm, thanks for that :)