PDA

View Full Version : Sick of seeing a lumpa 4B2 get a 4inch nail beaten into it and gettin told it’s art?!

seriph1
19th January 2004, 06:09 PM
Sick of seeing a lump of 4by2 get a 4inch nail beaten into it and being told it’s art?

Hi everyone - I hope this is the right forum - if not I am happy to be told and redirected.

I am keen to know what we all think of the idea of an Australian Woodworkers TV Show, after the spirit of the New Yankee Workshop in some ways.

I would be very interested in seeing a show made here in Australia, with locally sourced timbers and fittings & hardware/tools/machinery that I can actually buy within a reasonable timeframe!

My particular interest is in recreating/restoring furniture of the following styles:

(post follows on below:)

seriph1
19th January 2004, 06:10 PM
French Provincial (18th-early20thCent.)
Australian Colonial (18th-early20thCent.)
Italian Rural (18th-early20thCent.)
Australian Low-Victorian (not heavily carved and dark)
18th and 19th Century country British
Fine Arts and Crafts style
Period-feel scrubbed pine type furniture of excellent proportions
Japanese style from the 1800's

(anyone guess that I like “country”? J )

I would love to know if members here would be interested in seeing a show of this kind, that demonstrates making pieces in these particular styles. I am envisioning projects that could be completed in one or two weekends, from locally sourced materials, regardless of the viewer’s state or territory. This (and many other advantages) would be achieved through an associated website where members would gain AND share access to worthy suppliers and contacts.

If anyone is interested in this, I would be keen to hear back either through this group or directly.

Success

Steve

echnidna
19th January 2004, 07:01 PM
Do Something totally NEW
use a 6" nail

sounds a good idea for an aussie show if it doesnt confine itself to novice stuff only

seriph1
20th January 2004, 12:18 PM
thinking of "gifted amateur or woodie" type person-my subject line may have not been clear, but I HATE home improvement-type shows where a guy grabs a few bits of Radiata (not that there's anything wrong with that) & makes basically a piece of s...t looking thing, then tells us at home its an acceptable solution.

I'm talking about pieces that makers will enjoy for life and whose children, grandchildren etc will live around, should they choose to.

RATIONALE: This is something fairly close to my heart as I enjoy living with the pieces I've made & if honest I get a buzz out of visitors commenting that they love them too, so....as I have a range of skills & contacts in the field, I thought it would be good to commence gathering feedback about what people ACTUALLY want to see & would patronise. In this way, we all win - I get to be associated with making beautiful things and the show rates, which is basically all the networks are interested in, and rightly so I guess.

success

RETIRED
20th January 2004, 03:32 PM
Keep it on topic Children.

seriph1
20th January 2004, 05:04 PM
no offence to anyone intended but in my initial post on this topic I asked to be told if it was off-topic or posted into the wrong forum and requested guidance if that was the case.

Initially I decided to post to this particular area as it says "general woodwork" and would, I thought, be of most interest to all woodworkers.

, is your directive to "keep it on topic children" because it is an inappropriate thread?

My thinking was that gathering information/ feedback from those who make things from wood and care deeply about it would be the best way to set about creating a program of greatest value.....

apologies again if I have posted outside the guidelines - please advise a better forum

thanks

soundman
21st January 2004, 11:46 PM
The problem is getting someone in television land who is interested in producing & backing such a show.

The only reason that norm is where he is today is because some producer with a reputation & some cash happened to like the idea.

At the moment TV land is only interested in reality tv. ( now theres an oxymoron for you)

seriph1
22nd January 2004, 07:13 AM
(apologies again if off topic)

good point, though within the layers of crapTV, there are a proliferation of home improvement shows (also often crap, but some ok) out there like

The Block, Hot Property/Auctions/better homes and gardens/all those garden-makeover shows, the Mitre 10 one, whatever its called. Add Pay TV and the emergence in 2004 of interactive digital TV with an additional hundred channels and you have a bunch of execs screaming "how do we fill the channels with stuff and still meet the local content laws?"

Being a "woodie" myself and having designed,made and sold pieces over a period of several years, I have a reasonable feel for what my customers liked, and that was: "anything country". Also, as I have contacts in the TV industry at the levels needed, I felt the time is right to go for it and get woodworkers in Oz together and support creating a show that would appeal to them as well as the general public, who after all are the ones buying.

just a thought :)

RETIRED
22nd January 2004, 07:23 AM
Gooday.

Np probs.

Steve it is in the right place, it was starting to stray from the topic.

I have to agree that some of these lifestyle shows are very detrimental to woodies in general and in some cases have forced the closure of some businesses.

DaveInOz
22nd January 2004, 09:20 AM
Seriph1,

I don't watch a lot of TV (except cartoons and kids movies).
However I would make the effort to see an Aussie NYW style show. Especially if it is backed up with video/dvd copies of the episodes and well drawn plans / cutlist / layout etc. These would of course be at an extra cost, or put the plans for free in AWW (or like) and have the video/dvd at an extra cost.
It would have to be cross promoted with whatever pulp DIY show the network is producing to get the general public interested. But if you look at the numbers that attended the Working with wood expo's there is a ready build audience to start you off.

upshot - I'm all for it.

seriph1
22nd January 2004, 09:56 AM
Dave-You got it in, mate! We dont watch telly because its so much rubbish - I'm thinking of a quality series driven by designs that are true heirlooms though achievable in reasonable timeframe with available tools and reasonable skills.

DVDs would be available, and include further info that doesnt have time to appear in the show.

website would have a bunch of great free info, for example, links to here etc.

Woodie's could direct the program and web content based on their needs & desires. I know it's a huge task and I've no intention of doing it alone, but lots of things have been achieved by small groups of people getting off their "anatomies" and moving forward...end of sermon :)

youre spot on about the Timber & working with wood show - have attended since the first and love it. Each year I think "man there are a LOT of people into this" wood is something in humanity's DNA and I would love to be one person who fosters our return to actually making things for ourselves!

arose62
22nd January 2004, 10:15 AM
Hey, if you want to be able to view real woodies making real stuff, why bother making TV execs even richer ???

$98 for a Logitech webcam from K-mart, and there you are, broadcasting your own content to the whole world!

Now that Jenni-cam has shutdown, there's a gaping void that needs to be filled!

I've never yet seen Norm, but from my time here, I think we could schedule the following:

Jig-making
Make your workshop look like an Operating Theatre
How to Paint Things Triton Orange
Dust Collection (a close-up of a cyclone might make a good screen saver?). CycloneCam - just patented :-)
Design Your Own Drill
Plus How To Make Lots of Things Out Of Wood.

Cheers,
Andrew

seriph1
22nd January 2004, 10:46 AM
are you sure youre not a little further north than central coast?

:)

like perhaps

Nimbin

silentC
22nd January 2004, 10:58 AM
How 'bout getting Russell Coight from "All Aussie Adventures" to be the presenter? You could call it Fair Dinkum Aussie Workshop.

He's even had a go at woodwork himself. Did anyone see his camp stool?

'Now folks, the table saw can be a very dangerous tool in the shed if you don't watch what you're doing. Fortunately, I've got some safety tips for you that will ... '

[ZING - Sound of saw cutting through flesh and bone]

[Swearing, Russell walks off camera, pan back to saw where left hand with wrist watch is sitting next to still spinning blade]

I'd watch that!

Sorry Steve, it's a great idea if it can be done. All TV shows start out with an idea. Good luck...

Barry_White
13th February 2004, 10:41 PM
How about getting Triton to promote it they have made a lot of money from the woodies

seriph1
13th February 2004, 11:17 PM
not a bad idea at all .... was thinking about a large distributor of a range of tools/machinery but am still working through who etc.

Thanks heaps for the feedback - the show is shaping up nicely....

Woodster
14th February 2004, 08:27 AM
I like the idea, has plenty of merit. As we all know its the bean counters who decide if it is viable. Maybe as suggested earlier that we get major stores and machinery companys to sponser it, e.g. Bunnings, ryobi, Gregorys, Carbatec, Hare an Forbes, plus there are no doubt many others people can think off. I am a newbie and have finally got a 6x6 wksp which i have to fill, and am looking forward to making things for my kids. Most furniture these days is rubbish. I want to make good solid furniture and such with decents joints that will last a lifetime an more, not this rubbish chipboard an staples.

Bring on an Aussie woodwork show with aussie timbers and such:) :) :) :)

Sigidi
18th February 2004, 01:02 PM
I think you have a ripper idea.

Just think how many of us religously watch Norm or even have his pic rather than the busty blondes???? LOL

OK OK we are a little 'committed' to our wood and I dare say you wouldn't find a greater concentration of wood freaks any where else, but things like using good old Aussie timber, Aussie made tools and inventions we can all get our hands on.

I know I am always drooling at things seen in Norm's workshop but you'd have buckleys getting some of it here at a decent price.

Sorry to go on but...
watched a segment from those 'big stwong boys' and one was explaining the use of a sliding bevel gauge - admittedly not a very difficult skill, but try and tell someone without showing them the tool being used and the angle being transferred to a saw. This would have been a fantastic bit if advice ideally suited to TV where one can see how the tool should be used and it would take less time than it took to explain using words alone...

MUCH LIKE MY POST!!:D

seriph1
18th February 2004, 07:12 PM
for a toddler you are incredibly articulate

Thanks for the feedback - the show is moving ahead albeit at what feels like "glacial-pace" ..... nevertheless a dedicated studio/workshop has been built, all set up for lighting and cameras...... the next phase is to get more interest from the networks and PayTV.

All good fun for woodies and wood-be's alike

Success

Sigidi
18th February 2004, 08:13 PM
Steve,
be sure to post details of the 'pilot' so all the members can be supportive and add to the viewer numbers.

I'm pleased you have gone ahead with things, can't wait for it, we really do have a hole in our viewing regarding such a show.

The idea of supplementing the show with available plans and 'how to' DVD's would be a terrific adjunct to the show.

Also it would be nice if you could manage to put the show together without having to align yourself with any specific manufacturers or suppliers and in this way remaing wholly independent, Just a thought as I hate individuals having great ideas taken over by the big guys and getting lost in all the hype.

just my young 2cents...

Allan

seriph1
18th February 2004, 10:02 PM
only preferred products will be used - if something's being trialled then viewers will know & get a review from the website

Sounds corny but I believe in being customer-led, so we intend to build a show/website that corresponds with viewers' wants.

so... within commercial realities, woodies will grow the show - we will be strongly influenced by feedback & participation - reviews from viewers will be posted on the site along with bitch-sessions and praise for excellent service experiences within the woodworking industry.

Detailed plans, DVDs (with added footage etc.) and web-based networks are all envisaged - and while much of this is still "vapourware" it has been discussed and researched at length

We will be strongly relying on woodies to guide us. The primary caveat is that we'll make pieces that we love, which are in the 18th and 19th Century country styles. We feel it's best to do work that truly inspires us - then we excel & prosper.(sorry for the sermon)

success

rodm
18th February 2004, 10:49 PM
Steve,
This is really amazing stuff to hear a show develop like this. A quality woodworking show has the potential for a world wide audience. I know a number of people that watch New Yankee Workshop because they are interested in antique furniture and collectable. They will never make any furniture but it helps them understand furniture construction and the lead in segments are also interesting. Let’s face it everyone likes a fine piece of furniture and it’s always nice to have a bit of history or a story to go with it.
I like NYW and shows like Antiques Roadshow because they are factual and don’t use any of the usual TV hype or gimmicks. I am always left with the feeling that these shows are too short. For your information NYW runs for a little over 24 minutes without ads. I think there is a large population of Australians that aren’t interested in serials and supercharged TV so here’s hoping there is a big demand for what you are proposing.
I wish you every success.

Alex
19th February 2004, 12:49 AM
Geez man???????

Are you talking about anything interesting on this "famous Australian TV" /?????????? I couldn't beleive my eyes someone smart finaly uses his brain (and connections) to make anything else except "Footie" "Grand finale" "Match of the century", "The battle of the champions" or "Coocking secrets of the BIG JIGGER"

Come on mighty mate - do it. I'm preety sure lot of people would be happy to see anything like that and could bring some attention to our "nicely wasted time". Some of the youngsters might decide to go to lokal woodworking club (and not to the "shooting galery")

seriph1
19th February 2004, 10:08 AM
Over 3 posts

Appreciate the feedback - we're peddlin’ fast as we can to get it up n running.... and be able to eat... my "partner in crime" at 33 is a veteran maker & built his reputation on Redgum & other icon timbers.

- got the at 19 from his apprenticeship as a cabinet maker.....went bush to get his mind right and saw the sleeper-guys slicing up the river-reds.......totally pi$$ed him off, so he thought to himself that he would make a table, which he still has (albeit that the thing turned into a banana-as anyone will attest to; the legacy of not knowing how to work with Redgum)......since then he has started built and sold a business making simply stunning pieces from mainly Aussie timbers.....and I don't mean (no offence) a bloke in a garage (like me) turning out a piece a month to make ends meet - I am talking: searching-locating-milling and drying, factory, craftsmen and support staff, in-house design, inner-urban showroom and regular media advertising etc.

seriph1
19th February 2004, 10:10 AM
And me… well, I “make most of it up as I go along”, but am passionate about design, furniture, timber and people… I have only had that garage-type business but managed to produce what my clients felt were well-priced fine pieces that truly reflected their desires. My expertise is in knowing how to build in proportion to the right scale and with the best design-coefficient to reflect the “feel” a client is trying to achieve. Nothing gives me a bigger buzz than seeing their eyes well up when they see the finished product and hear “I never thought it could be this good” … and yes, we are definitely talking about furniture. I rarely work with plans (though can draw them and will have to when the show kicks off) and just seem to “get” how something should look…and let’s face it – when building fine country style pieces, there is a wealth of source material to refer to… Personally I have over 600 books and magazines on the subject that get referred to daily.

seriph1
19th February 2004, 10:19 AM
The reason we bought our home is because it had room for a library – wifey has 1 end of 1 cabinet for her books…but I'm working on fixing that! (in case she sees this) My life has mostly been in commerce, and I’ve developed skills to get a message “out there” & build networks. But the truth is (I feel sure others know what I mean) my heart was that of a “maker of things”. The great deals I did were fun, but then I'd get the next "American Bungalow" mag and be all-aglow NOT for what I was doing! I would then go into my oh-so-tiny-garage and make a 9ft by 9ft breakfront bookcase in the empire style because I needed somewhere for my books.

DEFINITELY sermonising again! Anyway, I’m proud to do something that fosters greater love of making things & hope it’ll get the recognition it deserves.

…. AND if anyone has ideas to make the show better – please let me know! If anyone is interested, I can post some pics of our intended first season projects – feedback very welcome.

success

rodm
19th February 2004, 11:09 AM
Hi Steve,
I'm very interested to see the pictures.