PDA

View Full Version : Durian ?

soundman
1st April 2008, 12:37 AM
have been playing with a but of durian of late & it looks like a pretty fair timber for general workin' mans boats.
It seems to be available in good long clean lengths and isnt tooo heavy.

How do you'all recon it stacks up.

It would have to be better than pinus crapiata.

cheers

Mickj
12th April 2008, 11:47 AM
I guess the lack of response, says it all.
I've only just started building my first boat,
and while its not my first choice, I may use if weight becomes an issue.

I think it would be okay, provided the epoxy coating doesn't get damaged.
But I think that goes for most timbers.

Cheers

Mickj

Daddles
13th April 2008, 11:20 PM
It would have to be better than pinus crapiata.

Yer bein' ingored aintcha :cool:

Sorry. Me no know this durian stuff so me no answer.

However, I have made three sets of oars, one rudder and one dagger board out of the much aligned pinus carpiata as sold to humble woodbutcherers like ourselves by such demonic organisations as Mitre10, Bunnies and Home Hardware. Ya know what? Careful selection of said planks (ie, I went through every bloody plank in the shop :-) has resulted in oars and rudders and daggerboards that have performed exactly as required. It's a good timber if you're willing to select your stock carefully and to treat it accordingly. One of those sets of oars were employed in propelling Redback around Pt Vincent bay and Stansbury bay over the weekend just finished :D

As for this durian stuff ...

Richard

Aberdeen
10th May 2008, 12:06 AM
I used Durian in bits of my last little 10' 6" woody...... beautiful to play with, with tools.... well covered with West System Epoxy.... now 2.5 yrs since first launched and looks good.....
Maybe not the creme da la woods... but most things epoxy coated seem like they will last a while.....

I found it met my needs.......

PAR
10th May 2008, 10:33 AM
I'd love to help, but I thought Durian was a retired boxer out of Mexico.

Aberdeen
10th May 2008, 10:57 AM
Durian, if I am correct, is mainly sourced in Oz from forests in Indonesia - some supposed environmental puritans say it is an alternative for Meranti which is purportedly under threat in many places...

Timber Development Association
Coelostegia spp., Durio spp. & Neesia spp.
Durian is the name given to the timber of a wide group of trees which are mostly cultivated for their fruit and fibres. These large hardwoods are native to mainland Malaysia with some occurrence in Burma and Indonesia and are found in lowland swamp and mixed forest areas. After fruiting in the early stages of their growth they reach a height of about 50 metres.
The timber is generally easy to work although due to the variety of species some pieces may be difficult to finish. It dries quickly although again because of the many species some have a tendency to cup which can be overcome by weighting during the drying process, the timber takes nails and glues well and is a good veneer.

In Australia it has been accepted as a reasonably priced alternative to Australian Red Cedar because of the colour and so is used for interior joinery, mouldings and light furniture.

PropertyGreenDryDensity (average) kg/m3640Strength GroupS4SD4Hardness Rating (average) kN3.0 kN3.3kNDensityClass 3