PDA

View Full Version : PDR in Perth?

powellm
1st April 2008, 10:13 AM
Hi All

Has anyone in Perth built a PDR yet, I'm wondering how one would go on the swan, not nessesarily melvile water on a saturday (heaps of boat and wind chop) but for a sail now and then might the swan generally be too rough?

One other thing for the eggsperts, would durian be an appropriate timber for the scantlings, mast, sprit, centerboard etc?

Cheers
Matt

Boatmik
1st April 2008, 06:30 PM
Howdy Matt,

A PDR will be fine on the Swan. When they get a bit of speed up when going upwind the bow ends up pretty high in the air so it never really gets hammered by waves.

I don't know about Durian at all. If it is gluable and straight grained and its density is somewhere between pine and western red cedar it will be fine.

As far as the mast and boom go - it would need to have a nice straight grain, be very gluable and also a similar density to pine.

As far as PDRs in Perth go. There have been a fair number of plans sold in that direction, but I don't think anyone has got back to me yet about striking a blow.

Michael

powellm
1st April 2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks Mik, amyone else got any ideas on durian, I know its quite straight grained but was a little worried about the weight?? not sure aout pine but I'm pretty sure it would be heavier than WRC.

Cheers

Matt

johnt49
4th April 2009, 10:50 AM
Hi ya

I notice that there has recently been a PDR built in Perth. You can find his posts on this site, and he has a private site here:

http://members.dodo.net.au/~davidgomm/PDRacer/pdracer.html

I'm from Perth and have just bought plans for the GIS.

Boatmik
4th April 2009, 03:33 PM
Howdy and welcome John,

The PDR builder is David Gomm. He has a thread on the forum too
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=92791

MIK

dhgomm
4th April 2009, 07:37 PM
Hi everyone,
I just noticed this topic today, and noticed someone else has steered you to my posts and website, great news. :2tsup:

What I have not previously said about 'Durien' is that it 'glues' eceptionally well, and is very easy to cut and sands well. It has a particular smell when freshly cut that some find unlikable apparently, it was fine for me. :wink:

Use only the higher density 'Durien' ( grey / brown colour with pinkish / brown middle ) for your masts and booms etc. it should be similar to or greater in strength to WRC. :cool:

The lower densities ( mottled orange outside with white 'Balsa Wood' like interior ) are great for using in any places where glued directly to your plywood, and have strength comparable to pine. If you use too much of this in your PDRacer you might incur a weight penalty at competitions, for being too light. :U

This should put an end to all your doubts about 'Durian' at least, great to have someone else from Perth thinking about a PDRacer, I was wondering if, when I finish mine, I would have anyone to race. :cool:

Boatmik
4th April 2009, 11:12 PM
Durian is a tropical, fruit bearing tree. Fruit is very stinky .. for those who don't know.

The fruit is a killer ... BIG and HEAVY.

dhgomm
4th April 2009, 11:31 PM
Hi everyone,
Yes the fruit is big, heavy, and stinky, but in the countries where it grows it is also considered a delicacy, at least by the locals. :U
If you can get past the smell, usually described as pungent by others,they are supposed to be very tasty. :cool: