PDA

View Full Version : why didn,t someone tell me

robyn2839
1st April 2008, 09:47 PM
why didn,t someone tell me that i need ,and should have a thicknesser?.what a peice of machinery. i have never seen one working before ,cant imagine how i got by without one.now that i have one .i have thicknessed everything thats not bolted down today,and tomorrow i will unbolt everything i missed today and thickness it as well. if i died tomorrow at least i will die happy............bob

dlim2986
1st April 2008, 10:05 PM
I thought that, to be eligable to post on this forum you must have a thicknesser. Isn't it like to join a Mini club, you must have a Mini?

Don't tell me you don't have a joiner as well?

NCArcher
1st April 2008, 10:10 PM
Got to agree Bob, I've just embarked on my first thicknesser journey and i can't work out how i got by without one.
Like you i soon discovered that i had a large pile of shavings and no spare pieces of wood left in the workshop. I need to buy some more wood (all slightly over size of course) :D

JMB
1st April 2008, 10:17 PM
My life seems to be going in reverse. Years ago I had a jointer, thicknesser, band saw, table saw etc etc to play with [though not mine] and now I just have a few bits and pieces. And I know what I am missing!

Claw Hama
1st April 2008, 10:24 PM
We did tell you! even if it was only the other day. How to turn shity old bits of scrap into b-ute-iful timber. I planed up an old wall stud the other day for a little project I was doing for my parents. It turned out to be 10feet of dead straight tallowood, looked fantastic. Of course now you have a thicknesser you will need a metal detector (for nails) if you clean up recycled timber.

robyn2839
1st April 2008, 10:25 PM
I thought that, to be eligable to post on this forum you must have a thicknesser. Isn't it like to join a Mini club, you must have a Mini?

Don't tell me you don't have a joiner as well?

yes i have the jointer, and now the holy grail thicknesser

robyn2839
1st April 2008, 10:30 PM
i filled my dusty bag to the top with huon pine shavings smells like tassie now.bob

Frank&Earnest
1st April 2008, 10:35 PM
I know the feeling.:) Looked at the tech school workshop where the nearest woodwork club meets, eyed the joiner and thicknesser and joined the club to learn how to use them. Arrived at the first meeting with a boothful of pallet wood. A kind fellow showed me how and off I went. Two hours later I was politely told that they would have an immediate use for the 2x4s I had made all square and shiny if I did not stop bashing their ears...:D

echnidna
1st April 2008, 10:37 PM
:rotfl:

dlim2986
1st April 2008, 11:11 PM
. Arrived a the first meeting with a boothful of pallet wood. :D

Your lucky you didn't hit a nail. Pallet wood always seem to be full of unwanted metal bits that arn't easy to detect.

They would of been pretty unhappy had you of done that.

Sawdust Maker
2nd April 2008, 08:30 AM
... Of course now you have a thicknesser you will need a metal detector (for nails) if you clean up recycled timber.

I'd agree with this sentiment. Used a compass (north/south variety) for a while but never fully trusted it. Metal detector is great, and also allows you to quickly find the allen key you drop in the shavings when changing jaws:D

artme
2nd April 2008, 09:17 AM
Bob, there's asimple answer to your question: You never asked!!!:D:D:D

Don't worry its on my to get list.:p:p

Frank&Earnest
2nd April 2008, 09:21 AM
Oh ye of little faith! They were the 'new' pallets the lathe and bandsaw came on, and I had ripped them apart myself, all nails removed and accounted for! I'm an accountant, you know?:D

STAR
2nd April 2008, 09:56 AM
Sawdust Maker

This site continues to amaze me or confirms that I am an idiot. Because of my poor eyesight, when I am working in the paddock or some machinery and I drop a screw or something I have great difficulty trying to locate the object on the ground or in the grass.

While all the time I had hanging in my shed a Carb a Tec metal detector.:doh:

rat52
2nd April 2008, 10:02 AM
Star, make that 2 idiots:doh:

I never thought of that use either:2tsup:

Waldo
2nd April 2008, 10:07 AM
Like you i soon discovered that i had a large pile of shavings and no spare pieces of wood left in the workshop. I need to buy some more wood (all slightly over size of course) :D

:no: Just go ahead and thickness the lot of it, don't worry about final size :2tsup: - if you go too far you just get all the shavings together, a bit of Titebond III and you get membership into another part of the forum somewhere in here and do paper mache. :D

Bob, it took you this long to discover the joys of a thicknesser. :o Welcome to the club.

ravlord13
2nd April 2008, 11:47 AM
Built a full Kitchen out of old pine pallets when we had the farm, A thicknesser turned them into usable timber.
Bob,
Get a spare set of blades so you always have a sharp set ready , Hard to fill in time waiting to get them sharpened, sort of like waiting at the delivery ward of a hospital.
what brand thicknesser did you get?
Andrew

robyn2839
2nd April 2008, 01:40 PM
just a cheapie, but when it dies i will upgrade, (its a 12 1/2 hafco)..bob

NCArcher
2nd April 2008, 01:55 PM
:no: Just go ahead and thickness the lot of it, don't worry about final size :2tsup: - if you go too far you just get all the shavings together, a bit of Titebond III and you get membership into another part of the forum somewhere in here and do paper mache. :D

Can i thickness paper mache :? You know how quickly those layers build up. I might not notice and go too far.

funkychicken
2nd April 2008, 08:48 PM
Ah yes...Enjoy the thicknesser I almost had...

Now you need a nice long jointer

robyn2839
2nd April 2008, 09:04 PM
here here aint that the truth, got my eye on one

Swifty
4th April 2008, 04:39 PM
robyn, good to hear you discovered the thicknesser! i got my cheap 12 1/2 inch one last year and can't belive i hesitated so long getting one. probably my most used piece of machinery now! cause it's a little light, i only take off about 1/2 mm on each pass otherwise the machine labors a bit.

Ashore
4th April 2008, 05:23 PM
Make sure all the nails are out and try some old fence palings they come down beautifully and make great thin wood for small boxes
Long live the thicknesser, or thinesser , depends how you look at it :doh: