PDA

View Full Version : texture

bowl-basher
2nd April 2008, 08:05 AM
Hi all
I am thinking of making a bowl from Black Jarrah and would like to try a textured band on the top surface can one of you wise souls :wink::wink:point me in the rite direction to find out the how and why of texturing
Thanks as usual
Bowl basher

Ray153
2nd April 2008, 04:02 PM
If you are after ideas, there is a video available on www.thewoodworkingchannel.com (http://www.thewoodworkingchannel.com) and go to the videos tab. Select the AAW videos and look at either Phil Irons or Michael Mocho videos for ideas. Doesn't need to be as high tech as some of the ways they do some techniques but it might point you in the right direction.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd April 2008, 01:18 AM
A very basic texturing tool - a chatter tool, actually - can be made by simply recycling an old electric jig-saw blade. It's basically just a scraper that "bounces." A bit like an icypole stick in a bike wheel, actually!

Just grind the teeth off the blade and round the ends into a curved scraper shape, cut a slot into the end of a broom handle or similar, (a steel rod is better, but I'm talking basics here :;) slip the blade in 'til around 30-40mm sticks out and fix it there with a hose clamp.

The first use you'll need to adjust the exposed length until it chatters properly, but after that it's a no-brainer. There are various modifications (slipping shorter lengths behind the blade as "springs," etc.) but the above is the basic rig. I think I've posted pix of one of mine here on the forums before, but it's late and I couldn't be bothered searching. :B

BTW, this type of chatter tool is best used on end-grain, where it works really well. However, long grain tends to come out looking rather sad. :shrug:

Elbow
3rd April 2008, 11:13 AM
BB just do a search on Texturing in this forum

Allan

bowl-basher
6th April 2008, 11:20 AM
Thanks guys the hin I nedded was there I am currently leaning on the bloke that does all the machinong work foe the firm that I work for to knock up a tool form the idears gleane here I will post picks and a discription next week( if he comes good)
Thanks for the help
Bowl Basher

Poloris
6th April 2008, 12:02 PM
There is a old technique use by boat makers to seal carvel built boats.
I have been thinking of trying it to make a raised pattern on a turning.

The boat maker made a indentation along each planks edge.
Then he planed the edge down level with the indentation.
The boat was then built with planks butted together (carvel).
Once the boat was in the water the compressed indentation expanded and sealed between the planks.

Blanching a turning should be enough to get the indented texture to pop out. But alternating side and end grain may give irregular results.

Perhaps a forum members has tried this and can tell me if it is feasible.

Poloris

Woodturnerjosh
6th April 2008, 06:59 PM
Hi Poloris
What you are describing sounds similar to the technique called ukibori used by netsuke carvers to do effects, like warts or bumps on carved frogs. Some of the master carvers even used it to sign their name on the work.
If you're interested you will be able to find some more on the internet using that name (ukibori)
Cheers
Josh

Pheonix
6th April 2008, 10:11 PM
I've seen it done with the head of a 2" nail, I kid you not, just slight indentations around a bowl,had us all guessing as to what he used until he produced the nail.:doh: