PDA

View Full Version : my forward thinking paid off

manoftalent
2nd April 2008, 04:12 PM
late last year I was walking through bunnies and spied some portable generators ...$ 98 each .....hmm I thought .....and checked the output ...only 750 watts ......so I went home, checked my fridge and freezer ...both need a startup of 400w.......so I went back to bunnies and bought two generators.....now since the power has been out for two hours today ....I can relax since my food supply is safe .....computer still works ....and my son is watching the wrestling on optus ....all is well in this house .....best $200 bucks I spent ......I will note that on startup, one of the cords broke off in my hand on the first pull .:C......but its fixed now .....apart from that ..both GMC machines are running as designed too :2tsup: and just about paid for themselves already:U

The Bleeder
2nd April 2008, 04:18 PM
MOT,

Top stuff...

How often do you have to fill'em up.

Steve

DavidG
2nd April 2008, 04:23 PM
I have a GMC 850w.
Used extensively for the caravan. Drives lights and a 750w grill.
Used for power drills etc.
Won't run the concrete mixer though....:doh:

manoftalent
3rd April 2008, 11:53 PM
G'day Bleeder, under reasonable conditions last night ( they were only working at half max load ......about 400w each) they lasted almost 4 hrs without a refill ....I imagine under top load ( max output) you could get 3 hrs out of them before refilling ....

the fridge and freezer survived nicely ....we got to watch tv ...and if optus had not gone blank ....I coulda been the proud owner of a caravan ....they blacked out in the last hr and 3 minutes, and I missed the auction on ebay by a lousy $50..( could'nt get on to increase my bid).....thats life I suppose :doh:.....still...I saved good money on food that would have spoiled ...we were without power for 14hrs ....:~

obtw David ....if your concrete mixer has a larger motor ....say 1000w ...then you have little chance of running it ......1000w being the "startup" requirement needed to run it ....once fired up it may run on 750w ..or 800w ....but without the initial 1000w to kick it over .....your stuck .....thats why I went home and checked my fridge and freezer before I bought them ...to make sure they had enough output to run them ....