PDA

View Full Version : Single level vs 2 story structural stuff

zippidydodah
2nd April 2008, 04:45 PM
Hi all,

As a continuation of investigating a single story extension versus 2 story extension (in another section of this forum), I'm wondering if there is a significant difference in wall frame and slab design between these two structures.

My current frames are 90 x 45 oregon with 600 mm stud spacings. The house is single brick vaneer and it has a colourbond roof. The planned second story is of the same construction. I'm still trying to discover the engineering detail for the slab.

In general and for this type of construction, are major mods required to the existing footings and frames?

I'm off to my structural engineer guy next week (once I complete my initial plans) but I'm curious of the experience of others.

Cheers, Andrew

DvdHntr
3rd April 2008, 04:19 PM
Studs will depend on wall heights. They can be 450cts instead of 600cts.

sports fan
3rd April 2008, 04:58 PM
if your 1st floor addition is of brick veneer construction it will need significant structural modifications to support the brickwork..

most 1st floor additions are weather board, blue board or foam board for this reason

unless ur extending straight up off the existing exterior walls??

thebuildingsurv
4th April 2008, 08:39 AM
these days slabs and footings are the same for a two storey as they are for a single storey, however you may need a bore log/soil report to verify footings are founded deep enough.