PDA

View Full Version : 100 YO Oak Tree fallen

dvdhack
3rd April 2008, 09:53 AM
A mate has had a 100yr old oak tree fallen on his property - he reckons its several of the large logs on logging trucks worth - does anyone know what it costs to get something milled on site or alternatively the cost of milling offsite?

Can it be rough chainsaw cut to make it manageable for transport?

Should it be left to dry before milling or is it best milled green?

What other thoughts do you have on it?

I've never milled before.

Many thanks

Ralf

DJ’s Timber
3rd April 2008, 10:44 AM
Oak is best milled green, as for cost, it depends on size, access and what you want out of it.

Whereabouts in Melbourne are you, could drop by and have a look for you and advise on what is best to do.

dvdhack
3rd April 2008, 10:55 AM
The guy has a property in Taggerty, north of Marysville. Tree came down in the winds last week. There are no specific plans for the wood, as it was an unforeseen event. If I took it off him I would probably have it cut into larger section boards for re-sawing later.

What would you typically pay for an oak tree - per m3?

Toymaker Len
3rd April 2008, 11:17 AM
Oak is great timber. It needs to be sealed milled and properly stored to dry as soon as possible. Its well worth getting a professional miller. Probably worth 3-4 K$ per cubic meter dry and dressed. A warning though it is very slow to air dry. I had some years ago in thick half branches and after three years I was still finding it sopping wet in the centre, so I came across an old english cabinet maker and asked him why my oak was still so wet ? "Well" he said "We coot it into one inch plaanks and then we stack it for seven year... and its oolways nice and droy..."
And don't burn the branches just leave them in a nice pile in the paddock and I'll be down to pick up a trailer load sometime in the next five years. But seriously pen makers and box makers etc. will be after the smaller bits.

DJ’s Timber
3rd April 2008, 11:38 AM
Probably looking at about $40 or $50 a M³ in log form.

salty72
4th April 2008, 07:15 AM
ANy chance of some photos of the OAK tree

dvdhack
4th April 2008, 09:35 AM
I've offered to help cleanup the mess at my mates property - there are a few fences down as well and we often help each other out. If I go up I'll take some photos but its too far to go just for photos - good 450 Km return trip

weisyboy
4th April 2008, 06:39 PM
re price:

this has been metioned before many people have greatly over inflated opinions of what a tree is worth. it may be worht 3 - 4 thousand sawn but the green log is not worth more than $120 per cube but can be as little as $80 even for a good log.

Sigidi
9th April 2008, 08:48 PM
Ralf

contact Lucas on 1800 LUCAS1 a free call and they will give you details for someone locally who will be able to tell you everything you want to know.

From prices for milling, returns expected, estimates for the cost of sawn timber versus slabs, price for seasoned and green slabs, how long it will take to cut, to dry, how to stack it and more.

You will find all that here, but it won't be specific to your log/s or locale.

Post us some pics when you get it sliced up:D

dvdhack
28th April 2008, 09:03 PM
Only just getting back to this, I'll give Lucas a call and see if they can recommend someone but I'll open it up to the forum as well in a new post.

salty72
29th April 2008, 06:26 PM
where abouts is the log??

dvdhack
29th April 2008, 07:54 PM
Logs are in Taggerty, Victoria. I am going over on the weekend.

quercus
10th May 2008, 12:38 AM
I bought some beautiful oak off Bowerbird timber in the yarra valley. Tim will have a look at it, if you havent sorted it already. Nice guy to deal with. As previous people said, the value is in the sawn, dried timber - that is where all the work is. The dropped log has a lot of work in front of it before it can be sold for anything much.