PDA

View Full Version : Suburban Harvest

Farnk
3rd April 2008, 07:24 PM
:D
Yesterday's wild winds around melb have taken their toll on the suburban forest.

So, the drive home from work tonight saw me picking up a uteload of turning timber to be. Mostly silky oak and some black wattle. Both timbers that I quite like to turn.

What have other people picked up?

joe greiner
3rd April 2008, 09:14 PM
Three days ago, one of my neighbours dropped off a large red cedar trunk. Yesterday, I started cutting some bowl blanks: Took a 12-inch slice, and sawed into quarters. Still quite a bit of cutting pending to make the actual blanks. I'm not sure what I'll do with the rest of the trunk. Yes, this is a gloat. (Diameter measurements via Pi tape are Imperial.)

He's also given me a few plum logs, from a stash he'll use for smoking meats.

About a year ago, another neighbour had a large podocarpus (yew) felled, and I rescued most of the large logs for turning and a few gifts to other turners.

Joe

rowie
5th April 2008, 04:19 AM
seen a lot of eucs, plane & rotted plum fall prey, got my eye on a huge elm that fell, just havent had time to check it out yet.
PS speaking of prunus plum, that's what your 'black wattle' looks like to me?

rsser
5th April 2008, 04:48 PM
Sing out if you need a hand Rowie ;-}

A Silver Birch came down locally, but the bole was rotten. Salvaged a few small pieces.

hughie
6th April 2008, 08:45 PM
sigh............. all these darn trees coming down around me and no way to store em.

The world is so cruel at times....:no:

rowie
6th April 2008, 10:51 PM
Sing out if you need a hand Rowie ;-} No need Ern, the good bits are already cut into large blanks,(square and round) thicknessed, waxed and ready to be stored :2tsup:thanks anyway:- I will bring some over on Sat:;
A Silver Birch came down locally, but the bole was rotten. Salvaged a few small pieces.
As with most of the stuff that fell in the storm, most of the elm was rotten too:(( but not where the birdseye was:2tsup:

ptc
7th April 2008, 11:39 AM
mostly black wood

wheelinround
7th April 2008, 02:20 PM
:o Show off Pete
:2tsup:

Is that all winter fire wood :D

ptc
7th April 2008, 02:36 PM
no room in wood shed

wheelinround
7th April 2008, 02:53 PM
If you hadn't chopped it all up you could have built another wood shed

rsser
7th April 2008, 03:15 PM
Gee Peter! Great haul.

... and thanks Rowie. Look forward to catching up at the Turnfest.

ptc
7th April 2008, 03:29 PM
Thats the fire wood.
the good stuff is in the other shed !

rsser
7th April 2008, 06:33 PM
Yeah, burns and turns nicely. Half your luck.