PDA

View Full Version : FLOATING TIMBER FLOORS - hate colour

SOLOCHICK
20th January 2004, 02:58 PM
Hi,
any tips on floating floor boards, I have had them just installed a few weeks ago and went with tasmanian oak as I didn't think my place got enough light to go any darker.

Now they're in, I'm absolutely devastated, it's too light and I have just spent over $5000 and hate the result (not the quality, just the colour).

Has anyone ever heard of lightly sanding floating timber and using tongue oil with a tint to make darker or any other advice.

:confused: :(

AlexS
20th January 2004, 04:58 PM
Oh Solo...woe is me!

Guess what I'm doing at the weekend....

Laying Tassie Oak floating floor!

Sorry I can't advise re sanding, but I think you'd have to be sure to remove the existing finish completely, otherwise it would be patchy.

Sorry I wasn't more help.

s_m
23rd January 2004, 09:06 PM
Ooops!

I agree about removing the rinish entirely or you'll get a patchy stain (if that is the best option).

Just wanted to find out if your floating floor is solid timber not one of the veneers - if the latter you won't have much thickness to work with?

Steph

Dusty
24th January 2004, 05:01 PM
It's a shame your in Sydney and I'm in Melbourne.

I could of fixed it for you.

Changed the colour to maybe a Walnut or a Walnut-Jarrah type mix. Ahh well never mind.

Try Sydney Flooring. They seem to be a gun flooring company. If they can't do it I'm sure they can point you towards someone who can.

Good luck.

Sir Stinkalot
26th January 2004, 03:54 PM
Why not grab an off cut and do a little experimentation before hitting the floor. Try sanding down different levels to see what the results are.

soundman
26th January 2004, 09:24 PM
cheap solution.

glases with tinted lenses????:D

q9
26th January 2004, 11:54 PM
soundman is nearly right.

How about painting the walls a darker colour? That would make an incredible difference, as it has done in my brothers kitchen area. He went for a blue and it makes everything, including the very light coloured tiles look darker.

SOLOCHICK
27th January 2004, 09:57 AM
Thanks for some constructive advice and not so (soundman!!) although I do appreciate your sense of humour. :p

And may just take your advice in part.
A dark feature wall may be the solution.

Thanks again everyone.