PDA

View Full Version : Made up some new tool rests

Stu in Tokyo
3rd April 2008, 11:09 PM
I have two 12" straight tool rests, one that came with the lathe, the stock Nova tool rest.......

....and one I made out of 1" round stock, I use this one for a lot of roughing out, as it is SOLID :D

I also have a 6" tool rest, that came with the lathe, it is from Woodcraft, I think.......(like this, but 6" not 12")

I've often wanted, or needed an 8" or 4" straight tool rest, so I finally got off my duff and made some :D

Two pieces of steel, a flat bar stock, 8" long, about 2" wide, and 3\8" thick, and one piece of 1" round stock, 6" long.

I then cut a notch in the round stock to hold the bar stock......

70543 70544
and do some filing to fit the two pieces together, also making sure that the scale is ground off the steel to get good clean welds.

I then get out the MIG welder, I have it cranked up all the way, and make some sparks! :thumb:

70545 70546
I know the welds are not perfect, but they should do the job.

I sanded down the steel, rounded over the top edge, and polished it up, I think it worked out well!

I also made a 4" tool rest, took just over an hour to do both pieces.

I bought one 3' length of 1" bar stock for about $5, and the flat stock for about $6, I used up one 4" grinding wheel, maybe $1, and some welding stuff too, so maybe my outlay is about $4 for each tool, plus my time.

Cheers!

Cliff Rogers
3rd April 2008, 11:14 PM
:2tsup:

wheelinround
4th April 2008, 08:15 AM
Have the steel just haven't had the time

well done Stu

Zarguld
4th April 2008, 09:43 AM
Nice job.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

OGYT
4th April 2008, 11:56 AM
Good stuff, Stu! Wish I was steady enough to weld. When I hold a rod stock still, the end is still waving 2 inches or so. :(
Good job on the toolrests! :D

Caveman
4th April 2008, 04:38 PM
:2tsup:Nice one Stu - thanks for sharing.

Am just about to venture into my first attempts at a couple of toolrests.

When you cut the notch what angle did you cut it at?
Is there a standard angle that the toolrest should be when using a piece of flat bar as you have done? Does it matter?

Stu in Tokyo
4th April 2008, 05:02 PM
Thanks Andy

I did it so that the top edge of the tool rest, over hangs the tool rest post by about a 1/4".

Seems to work for me, you could over hang it more, but just a 1/4", will make the downward force on the rest, go more directly to the tool post......

As you can see, as long as the top edge of the toolrest over hangs the tool rest post, then you are OK.

If the over hang is large, then there is a lot more stress on the weld, or joint between the toolrest and the tool rest post, now with a good weld, I do not really thing this would be an issue, but, I'll stick with the smaller overhang, just in case :U

Cheers!

Sawdust Maker
5th April 2008, 04:38 PM
Stu
well done:2tsup:

I won't comment on the welds as they are near perfect compared to mine:o
In fact I'm not sure I'd trust mine as I'd be afraid that with the first decent dig in I'd get two almighty kerchunks, the second as the chisel hit the bed:oo:

How'd you make the one out of 1" stock? Did you first grind an ellipse in the post to (snugly) fit the bar?

Stu in Tokyo
5th April 2008, 05:20 PM
...............How'd you make the one out of 1" stock? Did you first grind an ellipse in the post to (snugly) fit the bar?

You sir are correct!:D

I also beveled the top edge of the ellipse to get a better penetration of the weld, ground it smooth and laid two more beads on top of that. I really should have dragged out my stick welder for the thick stuff, but I am out of practice, and stick welding is work, compared to the "Hot Glue Gun" that a MIG welder is :D

Cheers!

Caveman
7th April 2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks Andy

I did it so that the top edge of the tool rest, over hangs the tool rest post by about a 1/4".

Seems to work for me, you could over hang it more, but just a 1/4", will make the downward force on the rest, go more directly to the tool post......

As you can see, as long as the top edge of the toolrest over hangs the tool rest post, then you are OK.

If the over hang is large, then there is a lot more stress on the weld, or joint between the toolrest and the tool rest post, now with a good weld, I do not really thing this would be an issue, but, I'll stick with the smaller overhang, just in case :U

Cheers!

:2tsup::2tsup:Thanks Stu.

BobL
8th April 2008, 12:40 AM
I wish I had access to this thread before recently making my new tool posts.

This is the first rest I made, 350 mm long, no overhang, and tool rest post gets in the way of hands as you move tool along the top of the rest. I still use it a lot but will probably remake it with an overhang along the lines of Stu's.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=67854&stc=1&d=1203809723

Second one is for a different purpose but really no better than first in terms of overhang.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=67855&stc=1&d=1203809723

This one is OK for what it is.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=67945&stc=1&d=1203852561

This one has overhang and works really well (haven't used it with the adjustable tool locator yet) .
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=70792&stc=1&d=1207575493

This little stubby is my favorite one, it's basically made along the same lines as Stu, but adding the steel rod along the top works really well.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=70793&stc=1&d=1207575493

Cheers

Stu in Tokyo
8th April 2008, 12:13 PM
Well Bob, just the same, those look like nice work, heck you PAINTED y our tool rests :oo: :2tsup:

I'm too darn lazy to bother with paint :B

Looks like you have the tools and the skills, so just make some more! :D

Cheers!

BobL
8th April 2008, 03:17 PM
Well Bob, just the same, those look like nice work, heck you PAINTED y our tool rests :oo: :2tsup:

I'm too darn lazy to bother with paint :B

Looks like you have the tools and the skills, so just make some more! :D

Cheers!

Thanks Stu, I will definitely make some more.

As for the painting, I generally leave things be until I have accumulated enough bits and pieces worth painting and then do them as a batch lot. I generally do this to try reduce the encroachment of the inevitable rust, and besides I also like finishing most things off that I make.

pitbull
9th April 2008, 12:23 PM
Looks like you got a lotta yellow paint that needs using up too Bob.:D

Sawdust Maker
9th April 2008, 11:27 PM
BobL
the adjustable tool locator looks interesting
I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in how you think it works!
so let us know please?:)

BobL
10th April 2008, 01:25 AM
Looks like you got a lotta yellow paint that needs using up too Bob.:D

Not really, they're all painted with a $3 spray can and there is probably enough left for a couple more tool rests.

BobL
the adjustable tool locator looks interesting
I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in how you think it works!
so let us know please?:)

Yeah I will let you know but I have no plans to use it for a few weeks.

Cheers