PDA

View Full Version : HELP NEEDED: Custom Metabo Collet

twistedfuse
4th April 2008, 06:08 PM
Hello Everyone,

Well today i finally got around to actually putting my hand on the cnc machine again, only to have the spindle break again on my metabo GE700 die grinder. This is a lovely die grinder and i know why it keeps breaking its just so far there isn't much to do to stop it. The problem with it is the over tightening of the nut on my HSS endmills. The collet is a 1/4"(6.35 or whatever) and my HSS endmills are 6mm (why havent they realised having both imperial and metric is a pain in the....) hence why when i was machining this arvo(all 5 minutes) i couldn't figure out why it kept pulling the bit into the perspex and so i continued to tighten knowing this want a good idea but i just wanted to see something come off the table, well my heavy hands broke it when i tried to undo the collet nut. So again i'll have to return it to be repaired. Biggest issue is that i know i need a collet to suit the 6mm now but metabo dont make a 6mm collet.

So i need help. Is there anyone out there capable of making up custom size metabo collets or know what collets i can use to replace these ones? Really sick and tired of breaking the router and having so much down time. I'd be willing to pay anyone for materials and labour of course, and i'd be looking to make a few different sizes and have a collection. If anyone can help it would greatly be appreciated. Otherwise i might have to think about getting proper spindle and currently the money bank isn't as full as i'd like it. :-)

Daniel

twistedfuse
4th April 2008, 06:48 PM
I just found tht they do sell a 6mm collet but i would still like it if someone knew how to make these to save on some money. The other hss endmills need collets anyway so still looking for someone to make some and as a last resort to order a 6mm in. Either way i still need other sizes. Will post over at cnczone when its back online again.

Daniel

P.S Will post some photos of a spare collet i have here sometime over the weekend to give an idea of what it looks like.