PDA

View Full Version : dovetail jig

wood_wizard
4th April 2008, 09:13 PM
I have been looking at getting a dovetail jig so i can make dovetails more efficiently and neatly and was looking on the timbecon website and found this one, but i cant for the life of me work out how the hell it works from the picture. I get that you need a router, but how the hell do you use it?

http://www.timbecon.com.au/details/12-dovetail-jig-13859.aspx

has someone got one that can take a picture of with the timber etc set up in it so i can see how it works, its hard buying stuff over the net where you cant pick the item up and check it out first and in Lithgow there arent many places where you can get the stuff off the shelf.

Any help would be appreciated. Matt

wood_wizard
4th April 2008, 09:15 PM
i need to open my eyes, can someone move this thread into the router jig forum. Thanks. Matt

DJ’s Timber
4th April 2008, 09:17 PM
i need to open my eyes, can someone move this thread into the router jig forum. Thanks. Matt

:2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
4th April 2008, 09:21 PM
Matt have a look in this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=69934), the link in the second post is the same set-up and the first page has a pic of one with the timber in it and routed

wood_wizard
4th April 2008, 09:35 PM
thanks DJ, much appreciated. Matt

wood_wizard
4th April 2008, 09:45 PM
that makes it alot clearer, thats good how you router the two pieces in one go. Thanks again DJ

mat
5th April 2008, 08:17 AM
Think carefully about buying these types of jig when you think that the Leigh jigs are too expensive. Start adding up the additional cost for combs and router bits that you require for full versatility and then the Leigh starts looking pretty good in terms of value for money and of course better quality.

Stevenp
5th April 2008, 08:55 AM
Think carefully about buying these types of jig when you think that the Leigh jigs are too expensive. Start adding up the additional cost for combs and router bits that you require for full versatility and then the Leigh starts looking pretty good in terms of value for money and of course better quality.

:iagree: The Gifkins is also worth thinking about. I have the Leigh D1600 and Gifkins and both are quality and not all that expensive when all things are considered. Cheers Steven.

wood_wizard
5th April 2008, 06:40 PM
has anyone used the carbatec one. Its just a simply comb that you attach to a block of wood. Its $140 or there abouts but comes with 2 router bits and some other bits and pieces and it looks to be very versatile in that you can dovetail and sized piece of timber.

http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=170_10620_19822

After looking more at the one i posted i realised that they will work out expensive (as mentioned above) you need to buy a whole array of combs for it in order for it to be really versatile.

lesmeyer
5th April 2008, 08:53 PM
Hi,
If your need is not wider that 300mm then I agree with Mat and the new Leigh 12" superjig at $271 is great value. Believe me, the Leigh provides great accuracy and versatility right out of the box. Great manual in real English (very rare these days) with step by step DVD coverage. Nothing could be easier.
Just my opinion anyway.
Regards
Les

wood_wizard
5th April 2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks Les, the site i looked at was the US site. Is there an Australian supplier of the Leigh stuff?

munruben
5th April 2008, 10:44 PM
Carba-Tec

philf
5th April 2008, 10:50 PM
Hi wood_wizard,

I bought mine from here http://benchworks.com.au/
click on the MIK link near bottom of page.

Rgds,
Phil.

lesmeyer
6th April 2008, 12:26 AM
Matt,
a certain member here has had problems with a certain supplier when paying up front and waiting months for the Leigh jig. I suggest that you make sure that a supplier has the stock if you intend to purchase said item. If required, go to the store and buy the item. I do know that Carba-Tec sell the 12" superjig for $271 at this point in time.
Regards
Les

wood_wizard
6th April 2008, 07:32 PM
thanks guys, so many products to choose from, this is hard.

graemet
6th April 2008, 09:31 PM
Hi WW,
I have both the WMS jig (like the Timbecon) and a Gifkins. They both have their uses.
The WMS is great for furniture joinery as it makes nice blind dovetails for drawers and is very quick. The Gifkins makes very nice boxes particularly where you have clear finished premium timber.
Horses for courses!
Cheers
Graeme