PDA

View Full Version : Kancoona house

HUON
6th April 2008, 06:32 PM
Check out the Greenlivingpedia website and cast away your self doubts and go for it .

Incoming!
10th April 2008, 08:44 AM
I have an intuitive sense that building and living green is expensive. I'm referring to the start up cost. Looking at the cost of a solar hot water system for example, it seems that it would take twenty years of consistent hot water from the sun to recoup the cost of the initial installation. It's also possible that I'm relating the cost of home grown food and eggs (great quality, but when you check how much it really costs to produce, it's a shock) to home energy production.

I love the idea of energy self-sufficiency, but the costing and reliability worries me a tad. Has anyone here actually achieved this for themselves? Any suggestions on the most cost effective way to achieve it?

echnidna
10th April 2008, 09:04 AM
that's it in a nutshell

Allan at Wallan
17th April 2008, 05:14 PM
that's it in a nutshell

Even the nutshells are becoming dearer
to produce too Bob. That's not "two bob"
but too Bob. Oh, you know whatI mean.:rolleyes:

Allan

I once stole a calendar - and got 12 months.

HUON
17th April 2008, 09:05 PM
Initially the cost to hook up to the " grid " would have cost us $19,800.To install a micro hydro system, cost less than $10,000. Not having to pay power bills has probably saved us approximately $30,000 . Due to a prolonged drought we're about to upgrade our system (including solar panels and increased battery bank ),with the "raps subsidy" this will cost just over $13,000, without $27,000. I don't know about your skills in maths but according to my limited skills I see myself as streets ahead of someone who pays power bill after power bill. P.S, today it would cost about $58,000 to grid ourselves .

prozac
26th December 2008, 04:52 PM
Love you web details. The little hydro unit is inspiring. The solar panels are great back-up but I was wondering why the ferrets, then it hit me. During drought when it is overcast you put 'em on a treadmill!

Seriously you are to be commended on your choice and determination. Looks like a good setup and pleasant lifestyle.

do-it-dog
26th December 2008, 08:11 PM
Me and my partner are about to move out of our inner city Sydney place and build a tiny (40sq metre) passive solar cabin in country western NSW in a little gold mining town we love. With the intention of having a fairly sustainable existence.

We have been tossing up whether to connect to the grid (which I'd like not to do) and/or use solar as well - all of which is very costly.

It occured to me today that maybe we can get by just fine with neither. Lanterns instead of lights (nice), wood fired stove, gas fridge - what else?

Is it possible?

And if not, what do we have to do to make it possible?

Tonyz
30th December 2008, 08:02 PM
This solar power living thing. Yes we are looking at moving too trying to buy a 60'x40'x12' steel shed asking price $5000. only found out about it and saw it yesterday and stupid owner away on holls. No block yet but too good too pas up.

But this power thing if I have a 3hp saw, thicknesser, jointer drill press and lathe plus 2hp dust ex system am I really going to operate this on solar plus the house.

prozac
3rd January 2009, 12:24 AM
This solar power living thing. Yes we are looking at moving too trying to buy a 60'x40'x12' steel shed asking price $5000. only found out about it and saw it yesterday and stupid owner away on holls. No block yet but too good too pas up.

But this power thing if I have a 3hp saw, thicknesser, jointer drill press and lathe plus 2hp dust ex system am I really going to operate this on solar plus the house.

You could be a bit flexible and use a generator for when you are running the machines... or get a pole lathe, and froe, and axe and.....

Burnsy
3rd January 2009, 12:34 AM
Brendan, nice setup, can you please post some details on the platypus power mini hydro setup such as is it a comercial system, where can you get it and do they have a website?

Thanks,
Mike

Edit: Google is your friend http://www.platypuspower.com.au/

HUON
17th January 2009, 09:21 PM
Righto, Platypus Power contacts, Mark 0740558057,0419775124(Qld). This fellow bought the business from a mate of mine several years ago, the company down here who install the gear are Sunreal 0357682248,0427408531(Nth Est Vic)
As for 3 hp motors it all depends on the depth of your system ; how many batteries, solar panels/mini hydro ( mini hydro runs 24/7 if you have the water),not to mention wind turbines.

HUON
17th January 2009, 10:01 PM
When Cath and I moved up here 20 odd years ago we lived in a converted dairy for 10(approx) years, while we built our stone house. We shared our house(dairy) with lizards,red bellied blacks, browns, rats, mice, bats, antechinus, rufous whistlers, scrub wrens etc. Not to mention kero lanterns, chip heaters, a few 2nd hand tractor batteries and a couple of clapped out solar panels.HAD THE TIME OF OUR LIVES.
Now, I'll quickly go through our power consumerism.Solar panels,mini hydro,batteries for electricity stuff, solar panel for summer hot water, combustion stove for cooking and hot water(in winter), gas stove for summer cooking,gas fridge for power emergencies(hasn't been used since power upgrade)STILL HAVING A BALL.