PDA

View Full Version : Oz PDR build in Adelaide - sexy black PDRacer

m2c1Iw
6th April 2008, 09:56 PM
or how to really complicate a great set of plans.

Hi thought I'd better post some pics of my progress as I did't make the Ubeat Squadron SA Division sail day. I was distracted all day thinking about you blokes bobing around at West Lakes.

So got my plans off Ted at Duck Flat at the end of January ordered some epoxied Gaboon and the fittings kit, really glad I did as the time saved and the finish they do is well worth it. I have decided to have a lug rig and as I have limited space and had to wait for the ply I started with the foils pic1. shows them with the tips glassed and ready for final coatings pic2. is the spars also waiting for a coating still need to do a bit more sanding round the top of the mast a drill the hole for the step. Next weekend maybe.

The ply arrived in time for some progress over Easter although many interuptions meant I only got the panels cut chine logs laminated and fitted pic3. shows my japanese style western saw.

Now to the complicating of Miks plans, he'll probably chuckle when he sees this and advise me that my total lack of consideration for stresses will result in disaster. Oh well for me the journey is as important as the destination. Anyway I was cutting out the pieces for the 2nd frame and trying to get the grain to line up, those of you who have built an Oz will know what I'm talking about but I found my measuring stick somehow had lost about 20mm. Oh no what to do no spare ply so staring at the short bit I think why not curve the bouyancy tank side slightly that would solve the problem but then I thought why not rebate the cleat while I'm at it. Pic4 shows the glue up I have had to do it in 3 stages to get all the bits to stay in place.

Onwards today I got to 3D pic5. Bewdy.

I'll continue to explain some other mods I'm doing just to make life a little more difficult but thats part of the fun I recon.

BTW I have decided on a name "A Ducks Transom" as when I have finished I will have used up a Kings Ransom in Brownie points for all the shed time.

Cheers for now

Mike

Boatmik
6th April 2008, 10:32 PM
Howdy Mike,

That curved top transom looks waaaay too cool! Richard, Ted, Lauren, Dean and I all had good sails!

You will probably join us one of these days.

Michael

m2c1Iw
7th April 2008, 06:07 PM
Mik you have eye for detail despite the bad pics, I must learn how to post the pics at higher pixels or what ever you call them.

Wished I'd ventured down to West Lakes now as it looked to be perfect conditions. Oh well next time.

Mike

m2c1Iw
29th April 2008, 11:59 PM
Hello All,
I have made a little progress it has been slow going as I play around with some mods, the pics show a couple of changes to Miks plans.

1. Finally fitting the frames after gueing a bit here and there. First problem I had was finding some decent clear lengths of oregon from my salvage pile, I ended up laminating a few pieces.

2. The #2 frame is curved and rebated for the ply a bit of mucking around but hopefully worth it. While I was experimenting I first shaped a curve that looked good then copied onto a second section glued to create the rebate.

3. After getting the front tank curve sorted I cut the rear cleat in one piece and cut the rebate with a router using the curve offcut as a fence. Cutting the angled housing for the transom cleat was a little tricky just marked the cut then eye balled it on the table saw sled using some wedges to set the angle. The challenge now will be fitting the ply:doh:

4. Centre case seems to fit OK again played with some shaped top cleats think they work.

Question: How to mark out the foil cut out, I have penciled the inside of the case and plan to drill a small hole at each corner to get the case layout on the outside then make a pattern and orientate to the drill holes. Is there an easier way?

Cheers for now
Mike

m2c1Iw
11th May 2008, 08:41 PM
An update

Slow going lately too many projects, anyway.

First pic I've fitted frame #2 and cut the tank ply to fit added a cleat to the top edge for the deck. Cut and planed some nice straight grain oregon for the coamings and planed a rebate in them so they will cover the deck edge and screw holes for the top cleats. Next job is to glue the coamings to the deck I will screw from the underside while the glue dries and glue the tank ply in place to the curved cleats then fillet the bottom edge.

Pic 2 is the finished rudder box and tiller, fairly happy with this I used some American Red Cedar for the tiller and when ripped to width the strips took a natural curve so I just laminated without further machining.

No pic but I finished glassing the spars and foils as well.

Cheers
Mike

bitingmidge
11th May 2008, 10:51 PM
Question: How to mark out the foil cut out, I have penciled the inside of the case and plan to drill a small hole at each corner to get the case layout on the outside then make a pattern and orientate to the drill holes. Is there an easier way?

If you just want a rectangular hole for the foil (which I think is good enough for the PDR), the easiest way is to drill a single hole big enough for a router bearing bit, and simply rout it out!

Alternatively you can cut it by hand with a hacksaw blade, it's not too hard to follow the line of the case.

Finally, for a foil shaped board, drill a single hole on the centreline at the front and rear of the case, use a sliver of the foil as a template to mark between them and cut along the line!

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Glad to see progress!

Cheers,

P
:2tsup:

m2c1Iw
11th May 2008, 11:01 PM
Finally, for a foil shaped board, drill a single hole on the centreline at the front and rear of the case, use a sliver of the foil as a template to mark between them and cut along the line!

Yep I can't do it the easy way and wanted a foil shaped hole. Thanks for the idea.

Mike

Boatmik
26th May 2008, 04:08 PM
Howdy Mike,

Do you have any pic updates of what you are up to. A floor covered with centreboard shavings ...

Make sure the foil shaped slot is a little spacious. Otherwise the board will jam when it moves away from being perfectly vertical.

Also the case is longer than the Centreboard - we put a spacer down that back of the case to match the actual final board size. The spacer is a little bit of a loose fit to allow for soak/expand and held in place with a single screw at the top.

Best wishes
MIK

m2c1Iw
26th May 2008, 04:55 PM
Hi Mik,
Not much boat building going at the moment I'm afraid as my attention has been directed to another project. It still has a slightly aquatic theme as in a stand for my daughters turtle tank.

You see our turtles can't live in just any tank like the one we already had they needed your penthouse size tank with all the trimmings. So to support this large vessel it was decided by the females in the family it needed a suitably crafted piece of furniture to reside on. As luck would have it I had some left over tassie myrtle and veneer to produce a stand worthy of said tank. Anyway tis nearly finished and I will post a pic when done.

As you can understand turtles must take precedence over ducks in our house.:D

Back to ducks I has been giving some thought to the jamming aspect of a shaped slot thanks for the info. If I align the rear end of the slot with the front edge of the rear centre case spacer (boy that does not write to well) then maybe a piece of rubber strip glued to the spacer for the centreboard to rest against should be OK, yes. From memory that was common practice in dagger board cases.

Hope to get back to things next week and post some pics of the progress.

Cheers
Mike

Boatmik
2nd June 2008, 10:34 AM
Howdy Mike - show us your turtle furniture - go ON!!! It is wood after all!

It is best to put the centreboard pushed to the front of the centrecase. Which means there will be some space behind.

So measure the width of the board from the front end of the slot.

Michael

m2c1Iw
9th June 2008, 09:59 PM
Howdy Mike - show us your turtle furniture - go ON!!! It is wood after all!

OK here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=73894) it tis

Boatmik
9th June 2008, 10:14 PM
Isn't that a SHAKER Turtle tank stand!!!

Promise me you won't look toooooo close at the way me Puddle Duck is built!!!

MIK

m2c1Iw
9th June 2008, 10:17 PM
Bit more progress this week.

Got the side decks glued along with the foredeck, had to do a bit of filing along the bow as I cut the sheet too short AGAIN:doh:. Rough cut the mast hole and fitted the front coaming. So hull just about ready for final epoxy coat and some varnish here and there.

Decided on a hull colour "A Ducks Transom" shall be black. Yep I know it will show every bump and hollow and black is not a good colour over epoxy but black it will be.

Wet sanded the foils ready for the final pox coat the spars are ready for varnish

Did I mention Shorty sent me the hull # ..........220 :D

Mike

Boatmik
9th June 2008, 11:45 PM
Oh Well - at least I will know where you are with the ouch ouch ouch when you sit down after each tack!

Seriously though ... it is looking rather nice! With a black hull the varnish will look stunning!!!

MIK

m2c1Iw
9th June 2008, 11:54 PM
Oh Well - at least I will know where you are with the ouch ouch ouch when you sit down after each tack!

Seriously though ... it is looking rather nice! With a black hull the varnish will look stunning!!!

MIK

:D:D:D .......um still need to do some rounding there and I'm not quite happy with the curve on the transom think I'll flatten that a little.

Thanks Mik I've been playing with a slightly modified logo too.

jmk89
10th June 2008, 11:11 AM

MIK

Mike

Not even pirate ships had balck decking - the heat on the feet!! Ouch, indeed.

Why not make the topsides either white or plain varnish so that you can keep MIK in the dark as to your whereabouts?!!

m2c1Iw
10th June 2008, 12:36 PM
Mike

Not even pirate ships had balck decking - the heat on the feet!! Ouch, indeed.

Why not make the topsides either white or plain varnish so that you can keep MIK in the dark as to your whereabouts?!!

Hmm.......very good point and now I re read Miks post I think that is what he was alluding to.........perhaps orange deck sort of a Daffy Duck or Jaffa Duck look:D.

One of the reason the decks are recommended to be painted is that there is a joint between the side decks and foredeck. So maybe that can be disguised with a racing stripe or what ever and varnish the rest as you suggest. I think it would look pretty cool.......... food for thought.

Mike

Boatmik
10th June 2008, 07:56 PM
Howdy - I don't know if you have taped the two short butt joins in the deck and glassed them yet.

but if you haven't ... if you are really careful not to go through the top veneer when you sand the slight hollow for the glass - if you just use unthickened epoxy to do that glass taping of the join - then it won't show except as a line.

Remember that any boat over 8ft has to have some sort of join in the deck - and the line that creates is almost never noticed ...

So you could have clear varnished decks and a black hull. Or if you REALLY want to cover that join I'd do the hull and foredeck in black but bring the black foredeck back along the sidedecks slightly in a premeditated way. I'd be reckoning it would look more than slightly cool.

And cooler for you bum too.

MIK

m2c1Iw
29th July 2008, 10:46 PM
It's been slow going lately way too cold to work at night (8deg in the shed).
I've finished all the bits and coated so it's on to varnish and paint but the cold makes recoating a drag.

The pic shows what I've have come up with re the deck painted area if you imagine black on the outer edge of masking tape and and bright fore and side decks. Thoughts/improvements welcome.

I hope to get undercoat on this weekend in between varnishing.

Cheers
Mike

Boatmik
30th July 2008, 01:31 PM
Wooo hooooo .... look at that fancy masking!!!

MIK

m2c1Iw
19th October 2008, 09:00 PM
Um.....update time finally. I'm afraid the final finishing has taken a lot longer than anticipated but today I have been fitting bits and pieces.

Still have a some things to tidy up but it's pretty much done and I will be picking up my Lug from Duck Flat this week. I chickened out and got the tarp stiched up by a pro:-

Started on the bowsprit for the soon to be made code 0 today as well, cut out a pattern and marked onto a board ready for glue up no pics.

Cheers a smug Mike:D

Boatmik
19th October 2008, 10:43 PM
Ducks are pretty humble ... but this one is rather gorgeous!!!

And you want ME to race against that thing!!! It looks fast sitting in the shed!!!!

MIK

b.o.a.t.
20th October 2008, 04:14 AM
That looks really nice Mike !!

arbordg
20th October 2008, 04:48 AM
Love the creative paint job. Very spiffy indeed!

m2c1Iw
21st October 2008, 05:06 PM
Well thanks for the comments, I just hope it sails OK and does not fall apart.

Thanks also to Peter for his terrific PDRacer website (http://www.pdracer.info)

I spent a lot of time studying the pics a great help to the novice and complement Michaels plans.

Now onto a canoe and maybe a Raid41 and maybe a Beth or..................:D

Cheers
Mike

Boatmik
21st October 2008, 08:42 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=86353&d=1224409930

Actually I think that if I blur my eyes a little and focus on the varnish only ... I can see a little OZ pointy nosed skiff with wings!!!!

MIK

m2c1Iw
21st October 2008, 09:21 PM
Actually I think that if I blur my eyes a little and focus on the varnish only ... I can see a little OZ pointy nosed skiff with wings!!!!

MIK

:thyel: Mik you have recognised the effect I was trying to achieve. Not to demean the box boat concept but to me a boat has just got to have pointy bow.
So when I was masking up for paint I couldn't help notice the way you had drawn the deck shape flowed naturally to the bow shape.
I guess that's why your the designer huh:-

Mike

b.o.a.t.
21st October 2008, 09:30 PM
Bowsprit? Code 0 ?
Does this mean I need to make -another- mod to Teal to keep up?

So Mike... the miollion dolar question... when are ya gunna wet its bottom ?

AJ

m2c1Iw
21st October 2008, 09:50 PM
Bowsprit? Code 0 ?
Does this mean I need to make -another- mod to Teal to keep up?

So Mike... the miollion dolar question... when are ya gunna wet its bottom ?

AJ

:D Ah yep although I think an outing or two first before I start breaking things especially as Mik has decreed the size at 70sq:doh:

As for the wetting, well I made a bold statement about a GtG at Goolwa late October but I must apologise to the UWBS - SA Div. My doctor has intervened and lined up a quick hospital visit so unfortunately I'll be out of action now till the new year.......but it will happen:2tsup:

Mike

b.o.a.t.
21st October 2008, 11:38 PM
Egad !!!
Doesn't your doctor know about these more important things ???
Must be a golfer.
Blimmin golfers. No sense of perspective at all...

Hope it's a matter of in/convenience rather than dire threat Mike.
Gute verbesserung.
Which hospital ?

cheers
AJ

Boatmik
22nd October 2008, 12:15 AM
Now .. where did that 70 square foot figure come from? I don't remember saying that at all!!!

If it is feasible then you will have
lug - 86 square feet
Screecher (haha ... have to call it that ... on a PDR .. hahaha) - 70 sq ft

This gives a total of 156 square ft.

If you can cajole it into going to windward ... look at where it puts it in the worldwide PDRacer sail area records ...

MIK

Upwind / Downwind
2008 Record
7-24-08 record: 164 sqft by Dave Gray at the 2008 World Championship Race
[click here] (this was a triplane rig .. the middle rig was a bit blanketed I think!!! (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pdracer/message/20781)
7-12-08 record: 130 sqft by Tim Cleary [click here] (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pdracer/message/19778)

2007 Record
2-9-07 record: 105 sqft by Michael Storer and Peter Hyndman [click here] (http://www.pdracer.com/records/sizesail/storer/index.htm)

2006 Record
Early in 2006 record: 86 sqft by Michael Storer and Peter Hyndman [click here] (http://www.pdracer.net/)

2005 Record
8-6-05 record: 110 sqft by John Wright, roller jib + sunfish main at 2005 world championship [click here] (http://www.shortypen.com/events/2005/lcharl1/)

2004 Record
2-28-04 record: 75 sqft (sunfish sail) by Ken Abrahams in Race #1 [click here] (http://www.shortypen.com/events/2004/pdr1/)

m2c1Iw
22nd October 2008, 09:47 AM
Ah..hem to quote

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showpost.php?p=810418&postcount=9

:D:D:D

oldhorse77
22nd October 2008, 10:16 AM
:2tsup:Thumbs up from the "Yank"
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=86353&d=1224409930

MIK

BobWes
22nd October 2008, 02:12 PM
WOW! What a great looking boat! Are you sure that's a boat and not a piece of art to be put on display somewhere? That certainly deserves a BIG :2tsup:

Bob

(I may need to make sure my camera is always out of batteries as I go through my build later this winter.)

m2c1Iw
24th October 2008, 07:19 PM
Egad !!!
Doesn't your doctor know about these more important things ???
Must be a golfer.
Blimmin golfers. No sense of perspective at all...

Hope it's a matter of in/convenience rather than dire threat Mike.
Gute verbesserung.
Which hospital ?

cheers
AJ

:D No don't think he is a golfer because he does have a sense of humour.

Yep a real inconvenience cause I want to go sailing, not serious some followup stuff at St. Andrews still waiting for a date.

Mike

Boatmik
30th October 2008, 10:06 AM
Howdy All,

Mike has put a rather nice article on the building of his boat on the Duckworks website.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/08/columns/storer/index9.htm

MIK

b.o.a.t.
30th October 2008, 01:02 PM
Yep a real inconvenience cause I want to go sailing, not serious some
followup stuff at St. Andrews still waiting for a date.
Mike

Good to hear it's not serious. Still trying to get over some knee work myself.
A bit limiting, but at least I can get in and out of Teal now. And even carry
it short distances.
cheers
AJ

m2c1Iw
26th April 2009, 08:55 PM
I finally have received the pics of the belated launch of A Ducks Transom conducted during the Goolwa Wooden Boat Festival. Some cleanskin sparkling burgandy was employed for the christening.
You will note the rather light conditions most suitable for a first outing and in the last pic my technique for slowing into the beach, yep drag the bum.

Cheers
Mike

Boatmik
27th April 2009, 11:18 AM
I thank your friends for being discreet enough not to show me trying to catch you (and not succeeding) in the Pink PDR!

MIK

m2c1Iw
27th April 2009, 06:30 PM
I thank your friends for being discreet enough not to show me trying to catch you (and not succeeding) in the Pink PDR!

MIK

Mik that's only because he didn't have a wide angle lens :D:D