PDA

View Full Version : Book

Charles Castle
2nd February 2001, 04:46 PM
I would very much like to buy a copy of the book by James E. Seitz, called "Woodcarving a Designers Notebook". Thois has the best description of designing carvings I have come across. I have tried the secondhand book suppliers including Amazomn and Bibliotheque without success. If anyone has a copy they no longer want, I would be very grateful.
Regards Charles Castle

nadcarves
11th May 2003, 01:54 PM
Charles,I bought the book years ago from the author and had it autographed,it is one of the books I loan out,right now ,don't know who has it.How ever,since the guy lived/lives in Ohio,there are always copies running around for a couple of dollars,like 2 or 3!Will keep eyes open. The neatest thing I have found for the design of a carving is plain old hand building clay.The local university closed down this week and had gobs of the stuff,which would be worthless in the Fall.I asked and got two 5 gallon tubs full,Was able to scratch ankles while standing for a good half hour after carrying to car..I'll carve something and use the clay to bend the hell out of it.Once I can get enough bends and twists to make the carving interesting,let the stuff dry..Everyone to impress you will talk about the Golden Mean,that sort of Conch shaped curve.So I figured,all good judges will recognize talent if the carver incorporates the GM into a carving.I did a hooded female bust in Walnut,used the curve,and to seperate the dark figure from the surroundings used a basswood,up tapered base.Really funny,never did well at wood carving shows,2 second places,But the artsey people picked up on it .So,maybe wood carvers carve,and the art people talk about it? Last art show,the people kinda reminded me of pigeons trying to impress each other,which was good,heads bobbing and all,I had the food table all to myself,cordially nad

ubeaut
11th May 2003, 04:28 PM
nad - I'm usually pretty quick on the uptake but when you say:

I'll carve something and use the clay to bend the hell out of it.Once I can get enough bends and twists to make the carving interesting,let the stuff dry..
What ecactly do you mean? I'll be blowed if I can work out what you are talking about.

Are you trying to bent a carving with the clay, or are you using the clay as a model and bending it, or what? I'm completely stumped.

Cheers - Neil :)

nadcarves
12th May 2003, 03:05 AM
I use clay to design the figure.Have a lot of large walnut,and to a lesser degree cherry.My method to both design,and rough the figure is about like this.Grab a piece of wood,with an idea of what it will be.Do up ,essentially a stick sketch,then over lay the ideas for details.With a human figure,I use a standard dimension chart,and and start building a clay form making sure all the limbs are reasonably correct,and that the model I am building is going to fit witin that piece of wood ,or around an obstruction.Once the basic figure is done,the clay still being soft may be twisted or warped to give more action ,attitude,etc>so long as it still fits the wood.Now,I will add more clay for strenght.As you know unfired hand building clay will crack and break with the slightest hit.My figure gets bulked up for the next step.Once dry,I'll put the clay mass in a modified Terrco T110 duplicarver,hot melt the base in position and hot melt in the wood.With a 1 1/4 inch 3 carbide cutter,I'll remove the wood,so it is pretty close to the shape of the origional clay.When done,I will have anywhere from 1/4 inch to 2 inches of excesse wood to remove,but the mass is correct,I know what the figure is going to look like.Now into carver vise,and the fun begins.I have a bunch of old tools that,once sharpened, regard wood as prey.For those of you that cry" foul "because I block out with a duplicarver., No more 3 days getting to starting point,hours instead,no more putting gloves on very short forearms,or starting a figure and having to put stocking on a nude whose legs are too short.I leave enough wood that what I do is carving,otherwise I would take up fishing.

ubeaut
12th May 2003, 10:27 AM
OK. I see the light. Didn't realize you were using a Duplicarver for the roughing out bit. It all makes perfect sence now.

Thanks - Neil :)

BrianR
14th May 2003, 02:08 PM
Do a search at www.amazon.com.

I found 6 second hand copies listed there.;)

nadcarves
15th May 2003, 12:39 PM
Brian,never knew Amazon sold used books.Went wandering around the tittles and found one for 20 bucks that I was going to order for 65 dollars new.Under woodcarving they had almost460 tittles, thanks for the tip.You never know what you don't know,nad