PDA

View Full Version : Tap,Die and drill sizes

artme
7th April 2008, 01:17 PM
I am going to make a self centering vice for use on my drill press.
Can anyone direct me to a chart that gives tap, die and drill sizes. I will probably be using rod around the haf inch 12mm size. Thanx.

jmk89
7th April 2008, 01:35 PM
Good charts here: http://www.moyles.com.au/Pages/Drilltapm.htm

neksmerj
7th April 2008, 02:43 PM
Artme,

I wouldn't recommend using a standard thread for a vice lead screw, they are not really designed to transmit power. Better to use an Acme thread.

Acme allthread is available here in Melbourne, with nuts to suit if required, but don't know about availability in Brisbane. It's not cheap, but if the job is worth doing, it's worth doing properly.

One of our "sunshine" members will know, and where to buy an Acme tap.

Ken

mat
7th April 2008, 04:47 PM
Try

http://www.sutton.com.au/uploads/downloads/Industrial_Products/Taps/TechnicalInfo/IPD05TapDrillSize_tap.pdf

artme
7th April 2008, 07:19 PM
Many thanks for the quick replies fellas!:2tsup::2tsup:
I should have explained things a little better neksmerj. The lead screw (or perhaps screws if I can find suitable small gears), will have a lefthand thread one end an a right hand the other in order to accomplish the self centering function.
The vice will only be small, for holding penblanks for drilling, and wont need massive cramping power.
I have dismantled a wooden twin screw clamp to obtain the requisite LH/RH threaded lead screw/s. The clamps can be purchased for about $12 and I now have the aluminium I need to make the jaws etc. This was free!!:)
I may have to purchase a tap to cut threads for the four guide rails I intend to use for the jaws.
I think an Acme thread would be over kill in the circumstances.

neksmerj
8th April 2008, 03:01 AM
Artme,

A quick little sketch will lift the shadow on what you wish to achieve. We are all here to help. I'm starting to sound like our inimitable Grahame, with wet sox.

Ken

artme
8th April 2008, 08:08 AM
Still waiting for computer wizard 19 yr. old son to show me how to load sketches and photos. Been 5 months so far!!:((:((:((

artme
10th April 2008, 05:54 PM
Had a kind donation of some 12mm 304SS rod!!:U:U

Priced a 12mm die, left hand thread. One burglar wanted $125.00!!!:oo::oo::oo:

Another place wanted $25.00!! That I can accept.

Where do some of these people get of???:o:o

joe greiner
10th April 2008, 08:36 PM
Had a kind donation of some 12mm 304SS rod!!:U:U

Priced a 12mm die, left hand thread. One burglar wanted $125.00!!!:oo::oo::oo:

Another place wanted $25.00!! That I can accept.

Where do some of these people get of???:o:o

LH threading tools are about as rare as LH threaded parts. Some shops probably sell only one every year or two, hence high carrying charges.

Still waiting for a cartoon, but is there any way you can re-use more of the components of the hand clamp? Such as the LH and RH barrel nuts? As I understand it, you're after an internal turnbuckle, with the centre of the screws anchored somehow. Like on old-time clamp-on roller skates. With very light loads, the nuts can likely be anchored with ordinary epoxy or J-B Weld.

Joe