PDA

View Full Version : Quarantining/fumigating logs

Grumpy John
7th April 2008, 06:52 PM
Over the last few months I've been lucky enough to develop a good relationship with a couple of local tree removalists and now have a steady supply of logs coming in. This prompts me to ask, should I be fumigating or at least quarantining the new logs as I bring them home?
Do other forum members fumigate all new timber or just "suspect" pieces?

hughie
7th April 2008, 07:10 PM
Nah, not really I give em a good looking over chop up or cut the sus ones.
If in doubt biff em out.

Grumpy John
7th April 2008, 07:45 PM
Nah, not really I give em a good looking over chop up or cut the sus ones.
If in doubt biff em out.

Hughie,
Do you rip the bark off to check for nasties?

TTIT
8th April 2008, 12:02 AM
I usually don't worry about the bark unless it comes off easy :B - it will peel off on it's own in time and I don't go looking to do work nature can do for me :B:U . I spray most of what I collect with Borax in hot water to keep the lyctids off and if I see obvious signs that bugs are already in the wood, I'll mix some insecticide in with it. If the bugs are real bad, I soak them in a tub with the concoction (if they'll fit).

rsser
8th April 2008, 07:43 AM
Wattle often comes with bugs if it's been standing for a while.

Otherwise I've not found probs with anything that's come under the saw. It's worth blocking down and sealing them as soon as you can though.

BobL
8th April 2008, 10:42 AM
I slabbed a apricot trunk last year into 50 mm slabs and stuck it in my drying shed (seatainer). While slabbing I noticed a substantial ant's nest in the bottom half of the trunk but I though that 3 months in the seatainer would sort them out. In February of this year the moisture content was low enough to start working with some of the timber so I bought a slab home and found there were still ants coming out of it! Maybe they are the remnant few but I was still surprised.

OGYT
9th April 2008, 12:26 PM
A friend of mine used to cure small logs of mesquite for doing flat work. I later did the same for short logs to do bandsaw boxes.
We'd put the wood in a large cardboard box, and put a couple of No-Pest Strips in with them, and tape it shut for a few years. The larva hatched, the bugs died. The logs cured fine.
Can't buy the No-Pest Strips here anymore... maybe you can in Oz.???....
Nowdays, I either inject the holes with Lacquer Thinner, or just saturate the log with Lacquer Thinner. It works.